Post-Game Talk: Caps and Pens 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Pressure from the Pens on the PP really seemed to bother 19 and when he's not in control the whole PP goes to hell.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Yeah I guess that was delay. Didn’t see he covered it at first.
Completely legal to cover the puck in that situation. Delay is when it's frozen. Holtby played it quickly.

Now NBCSN making fun of that Slashing call but it was a perfectly fine call when Nisky did it…

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I don't want us to sign Carlson again. That money could be spent more wisely.

I am with you on that one. Some people think we should sign him long term based on there is no one else. I think that is terrible logic. Signing a guy that is not the answer just prolongs a bad situation. Can you always get the guy you want? No, but you don't need to lock in the wrong one.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
He hit him in the knee, not the shaft of the stick. "No impact on the game", lol.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
They have shinpads. I bet Nisky didn't feel the slash from Hornqvist.
Fully aware of that, not the point either. It's a different play from hitting a guy's stick, and the intent would be no different than hitting a guy's hands, even if the outcomes might. Smack a guy with your stick, slashing.

Point is it wasn't a call NBC should really be going to bat for, especially in the early season's context. He made no stick to stick contact, only with the body of the player in possession. He had no body position either, and could have easily come down on the hands instead.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Fully aware of that, not the point either. It's a different play from hitting a guy's stick, and the intent would be no different than hitting a guy's hands, even if the outcomes might. Smack a guy with your stick, slashing.

Point is it wasn't a call NBC should really be going to bat for, especially in the early season's context. He made no stick to stick contact, only with the body of the player in possession.

I have no issue with the little slashes on the shin. They're useless, and they rarely disrupt the play. What I don't like is all the slashes on the hands and sticks. The league is right to crack down on all slashes though. Enough of this crap.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
There has to be a happy medium somewhere between these ridiculously soft penalties and clutch and grab hockey.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

Point is it wasn't a call NBC should really be going to bat for, especially in the early season's context. He made no stick to stick contact, only with the body of the player in possession.
I wouldn't be surprised if the ref thought he got his hands depending on the angle.

Oh, now they call tripping!

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I have no issue with the little slashes on the shin. They're useless, and they rarely disrupt the play. What I don't like is all the slashes on the hands and sticks. The league is right to crack down on all slashes though. Enough of this crap.
Not saying I necessarily disagree, you only ever get stingers around there at worst.

However, to cut down on hand and stick slashing you can also start punishing players making stick checks with bad body positioning. In this instance the NHL is finally punishing the root cause instead of the end result, which I'm mostly fine with.

DunningKruger

Aug 31, 2017
The Swamp
I am with you on that one. Some people think we should sign him long term based on there is no one else. I think that is terrible logic. Signing a guy that is not the answer just prolongs a bad situation. Can you always get the guy you want? No, but you don't need to lock in the wrong one.

Agreed. I actually Carlson has some trade value around the league if only based on his offensive numbers. He has a great shot from the point and might tempt a team looking for a power play weapon on the point. We might get a decent prospect for him. Doesn't exactly fit the win now mantra, which is why we won't trade him and will probably overpay to resign him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't like an NHL when a guy can hit your goalie in the head and its accepted that there are no repercussions.

f*** hornqvist and the curse of the fins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad