GDT: Caps and Oilers

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think Gretzky is still the greatest player ever, when considering how much and how long he dominated vs his peers, but I think McDavid is a close #2 behind Wayne and could surpass him if he keeps up this pace. I also think its apparent McDavid is the greatest skater in NHL history. Just an absolute pleasure to watch except when he's turning 3 or 4 of our defenders into turnstyles and pylons on his way to abusing the goalie.

Reactions: Neil Racki

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think Gretzky is still the greatest player ever, when considering how much and how long he dominated vs his peers, but I think McDavid is a close #2 behind Wayne and could surpass him if he keeps up this pace. I also think it’s apparent McDavid is the greatest skater in NHL history. Just an absolute pleasure to watch except when he's turning 3 or 4 of our defenders into turnstyles and pylons on his way to abusing the goalie.
there are a few guys I’d like to see go up against him in their prime if we could do a Marvel What If-NHL version, but you probably are right.

Coffey, Bure, Banzai, Gartner, Fedorov, Golden Jet, Cournoyer (last 2 before my time, but recognized as the great skaters typically)…..

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
there are a few guys I’d like to see go up against him in their prime if we could do a Marvel What If-NHL version, but you probably are right.

Coffey, Bure, Banzai, Gartner, Fedorov, Golden Jet, Cournoyer (last 2 before my time, but recognized as the great skaters typically)…..

Bobby Orr also. But while all those names you listed were great skaters even compared to their peers, and lots of pure speed there, the only two guys I can recall going end to end around all five skaters and the goalie with so much regularity are Orr and McDavid. I don't even know if McDavid is the fastest skater in the NHL today, but I know he can accelerate and go around guys like no one else I've seen since Orr.

Reactions: Neil Racki

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Bobby Orr also. But while all those names you listed were great skaters even compared to their peers, and lots of pure speed there, the only two guys I can recall going end to end around all five skaters and the goalie with so much regularity are Orr and McDavid. I don't even know if McDavid is the fastest skater in the NHL today, but I know he can accelerate and go around guys like no one else I've seen since Orr.
mcdavid finds an extra edge all the time, it's incredible.

like, his stride selection and unbelievable short strides give him one extra push when he pivots compared to a lot of other players and then he's just gone.... the rhythm to his skating, especially turning and through traffic is something else

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
McDavid is just fun to watch. And he has Drai (the Pippen to Jordan). Crazy they haven’t gotten further in the playoffs.

Which once again proves the point that many here (including myself) talk about the patience you have to have in the NHL for a team to develop and gel. It takes time and doesn’t get solved by trading out a large portion of team or leadership every year.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
mcdavid finds an extra edge all the time, it's incredible.

like, his stride selection and unbelievable short strides give him one extra push when he pivots compared to a lot of other players and then he's just gone.... the rhythm to his skating, especially turning and through traffic is something else
His start and stop .. quick acceleration is ridiculous.

Wish we got to see more of him in our market.

Reactions: HTFN

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think Gretzky is still the greatest player ever, when considering how much and how long he dominated vs his peers, but I think McDavid is a close #2 behind Wayne and could surpass him if he keeps up this pace. I also think its apparent McDavid is the greatest skater in NHL history. Just an absolute pleasure to watch except when he's turning 3 or 4 of our defenders into turnstyles and pylons on his way to abusing the goalie.
Definitely best skater. Not sure about #2 all time though. He dominates with his athleticism, but to me, the best players dominated with their brains. Gretzky did. Coffey did. Even Sid (barf). I really enjoy watching McD play and skate circles around guys, but there's something different about the all-time greats to me. It's the vision, the IQ. Not to say he doesn't have those things, but that's not what stands out as next-level about him. With McDavid it's just that when he gets the puck, he can kill you. But he doesn't anticipate the puck the same as those guys. Just my opinion.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Definitely best skater. Not sure about #2 all time though. He dominates with his athleticism, but to me, the best players dominated with their brains. Gretzky did. Coffey did. Even Sid (barf). I really enjoy watching McD play and skate circles around guys, but there's something different about the all-time greats to me. It's the vision, the IQ. Not to say he doesn't have those things, but that's not what stands out as next-level about him. With McDavid it's just that when he gets the puck, he can kill you. But he doesn't anticipate the puck the same as those guys. Just my opinion.
I agree somewhat, but I would append “yet” to some of that stuff. He is only 25.

Draisaitl seems to have a bit more of that innate patience, vision and IQ at this point.

I try to catch EDM a couple times a week, so I’m always over analyzing them. McDavid really has been shot out of a cannon to start this season, and is being more aggressive as a goal scorer - maybe looking for his Gretzky ‘82 type season.

He scores a lot with that turn around snap shot. But mostly, once he gets in tight he can accelerate so quickly across the face of a goalie, it forces them to commit and then he easily skates the puck around them into the net. Like he did to Chucky last night. It’s silly stuff.

Reactions: Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Speaking of turnaround shots, that move OV made last night where he split the dee then did a stop and turn and fire was a thing of beauty. That goes in and the whole hockey world is talking about it today.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I agree somewhat, but I would append “yet” to some of that stuff. He is only 25.

Draisaitl seems to have a bit more of that innate patience, vision and IQ at this point.

I try to catch EDM a couple times a week, so I’m always over analyzing them. McDavid really has been shot out of a cannon to start this season, and is being more aggressive as a goal scorer - maybe looking for his Gretzky ‘82 type season.

He scores a lot with that turn around snap shot. But mostly, once he gets in tight he can accelerate so quickly across the face of a goalie, it forces them to commit and then he easily skates the puck around them into the net. Like he did to Chucky last night. It’s silly stuff.
Totally agree.

Reactions: RedRocking

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

More like Crosby 09-10 goalscoring breakthrough if he can do it this year.

Gretzky was 21 back then by the way, so “only 25“ and you wanna talk in the presence of The Great One…..sorry, one pales in comparison to the other for me.

No slight to McDavid, just the reality of how damn good 99 was.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad