Dreger: Caps and Kempny have agreement

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Kempny definitely needs to change his agent. 2,5 is fine but for 4 years? All his prime?

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
I guess I'm less inclined to follow these things for other teams, but has any Cup winner ever returned literally every player in the playoff lineup from the year prior? Because, once Tom Wilson's RFA deal is finalized, we're a cheap Brooks Orpik re-sign and a Beagle contract away from that happening. Top 5 D returning. 11 of 12 forwards will be returning. And Holtby, of course.

We still have over $9M in cap space.

Reactions: gtrower

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
I guess I'm less inclined to follow these things for other teams, but has any Cup winner ever returned literally every player in the playoff lineup from the year prior? Because, once Tom Wilson's RFA deal is finalized, we're a cheap Brooks Orpik re-sign and a Beagle contract away from that happening. Top 5 D returning. 11 of 12 forwards will be returning. And Holtby, of course.

It looks like a well working organization. Respect to Caps management.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
It looks like a well working organization. Respect to Caps management.

Think it also speaks to a strong, happy locker room. The first thing that happened post-Cup for the Caps was parting ways with the HC. Put those together and logic says it would lead to significant turnover in a lineup. All three signees (Carlson, DSP, Kempny) have taken $0.5-1.0M less than what they were worth to stay. You don't do that unless you've got a family atmosphere.

Wayland

Feb 28, 2006
Quality of life matters. If you are happy somewhere a little less money is ok. Of course it is magnified when you are a professional athlete but not everything is measured in pure dollars and cents.

Good for him that he seems to have found some success and likes the people and room around him and doesn't want to start over somewhere else.

Reactions: Drakon

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
They just re-signed Carlson, DSP, and Kempny for a combined 11.5 million. Orpik covers less than half of that.
The thing about re-signing guys is that you were already paying them so you already had cap allotted for them.

It's not like they needed to find 11.5 million, they needed to find the difference in the raises they were all getting.

Carlson received a 4 million raise, DSP received 350k raise, Kempny received a 1.8 raise. So really they needed to find space for roughly $6 million. The Orpik cap his was 5.5 and the Grubuaer was 1.5. So even by just shedding those two salary's they still have money left over after these 3 contracts. That's not accounting for a raise in cap or that Beagle at 1.75 hasn't been re-signed.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Not to rain on your parade, but doesn't sound good on Beagle returning with this Izzy K tweet

Reactions: Hivemind

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
its only for 2.5M a year...but I have a feeling the Caps will regret this one...dude went ballz out in the playoffs...but how do they not know it wasn't just a hot streak...

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
its only for 2.5M a year...but I have a feeling the Caps will regret this one...dude went ballz out in the playoffs...but how do they not know it wasn't just a hot streak...
It sounds like he was badly mismanaged in Chicago.

He has all the tools to be effective.

I'd rather bank on a small sample size of a championship run over any other small sample size. You know high pressure situations against the best teams in the league.

As you mentioned 2.5 isn't much. It's 3% of the current cap. I'd easily gamble that Kempny can be solid #4 at that price.

Reactions: Drakon and THall4

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016

$2.5M AAV x 4 for a top 2 pairing defenseman? We couldn't have gotten anybody as good for cheaper or anybody better for the same price. Not to mention $2.5M is next to nothing for a top 4 D these days. Even if we eventually need to trade him it won't be a hard contract to move. Hard to imagine a scenario where we could end up regretting this.

Also the Caps D turned around before the playoffs started after being horrid the first 2/3 of the season. Around the time Kempny came over. Not saying he was the only reason, but it wasn't just the playoffs that he played well for us.

If that post was tongue-in-cheek riffing off of the reactions to Carlson/DSP singings then bravo - you reeled me in.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
2.5M is hardly anything. if he has no NTC/NMC and Kempny busts it will be easy to get out of

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Holy steal of a contract! What was his agent thinking? He could've easily gotten $4million+ on the open market.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Hes going to be solid 5on5 theres no problem with it at all. They probably got him to keep it to only 2.5 since he'd be afraid of going elsewhere and getting a coach who wont trust him again.

Interesting how the pk will be handled, he will have to actually play there unless Orpiks back.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
This is for the folks that didn't know how the pairings went this past season once Kempny joined:

Carlson-Kempny
Orlov-Niskanen
Orpik-Djoos

That automatically slots Kempny in top 4. Orpik received more PK time, but Kempny generally played more minutes at ES.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad