Dreger: Caps and Kempny have agreement

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm very curious on this one. Part of me would think 3 for 3 would be a "fair" deal, but there's also the fact that he played like a top 4 guy the entire time he was here and had outside interest. I don't think it goes beyond 4 million but who knows.

After this all I care about is getting Wilson signed and the RFA's and it's a successful off season.

Reactions: Drakon

Jan 21, 2018
"this player decided to take less to stay with their team, despite lots of interest elsewhere"

translation: "this is going to be a bad deal. but if it makes you feel better, someone else would have paid him more."

Jun 15, 2007
"this player decided to take less to stay with their team, despite lots of interest elsewhere"

translation: "this is going to be a bad deal. but if it makes you feel better, someone else would have paid him more."

I don't think so. It's not Dreger's job to do PR for the Capitals.

We'll see but I think it's gonna be a 3x3 deal.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007

Didn't we hear this line right before the Caps announced Smith-Pelly signing a deal that damn near everyone agreed was less term and less money than he would have gotten elsewhere? Maybe it's just that a handful of guys are taking less to stick with a Cup winner on which they found, for the first time, an NHL home? Explains both Kempny and DSP taking less.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Brendan smith part 2

hopefully he doesn't become anus like smith. and hopefully they don't pay him as much as ny paid smith.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Love this move as a Caps fan - if they were able to keep the AAV down, there is little risk if he keeps playing with Carlson, who will make him look good.

Reactions: TheFountainhead

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
And what is the comparison between the two that you see in your opinion?
Two mediocre-at-best dmen on their old teams who get traded to teams and have phenomenal playoff runs then get paid. Hopefully Kempny isn’t a flash in the pan like Smith was. If he was then he’s about to get very overpaid.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Two mediocre-at-best dmen on their old teams who get traded to teams and have phenomenal playoff runs then get paid. Hopefully Kempny isn’t a flash in the pan like Smith was. If he was then he’s about to get very overpaid.

Smith had four years of history with the Wings, Kempny came over in '16-'17 and played 80 games with the Hawks. No one really knows how good or bad Kempny is yet.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Smith had four years of history with the Wings, Kempny came over in '16-'17 and played 80 games with the Hawks. No one really knows how good or bad Kempny is yet.
I mean yeah but he never showed in Chicago what he showed in his Washington stint

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Kempny is not Brendan Smith. Guy can really play and had really good underlying numbers in Chicago but Q hated him for some reason. Can skate like the wind, has a heavy shot, decent outlet pass, and can be pretty physical. If its near 3x3 or 4x3, its a solid deal for Caps.

Q hated Daley before he was sent off to Pittsburgh and they won multiple cups with him playing decent minutes.

So, enjoy cup number two, Caps fans.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Kempny is not Brendan Smith. Guy can really play and had really good underlying numbers in Chicago but Q hated him for some reason. Can skate like the wind, has a heavy shot, decent outlet pass, and can be pretty physical. If its near 3x4 or 4x3, its a solid deal for Caps.

Q hated Daley before he was sent off to Pittsburgh and they won multiple cups with him playing decent minutes.

So, enjoy cup number two, Caps fans.
Kempny struggled a bit when he first came here but the defensive coach helped him get some confidence and he played great ever since. Don't think they win the cup without him.

Reactions: kanucks25

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
good for Kempny and the caps, boggles my mind how stupid coach Q is, freaking idiot benched him most of the year this year after being benched for a bulk of the year prior despite him being are number 3 D IMO last year

Reactions: TheFountainhead

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Kempny struggled a bit when he first came here but the defensive coach helped him get some confidence and he played great ever since. Don't think they win the cup without him.

He had no leash in Chicago, so I’m not surprised it took him a while to adjust. But he has the tools to be a really good 3-4. And always did, just never got the opportunity. Caps turned a pick with an EV of like <10 GP into a defenseman with a fair market value of $3m+. Robbery.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Not even like Chicago’s D was good like in 2014 when their top 5 was Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Oduya and Leddy and there was simply no opportunity for Kempny. Quenneville was playing Oesterle 24-25 minutes a night after healthy scratching him for 30 games to start the season. 30 in a row. Fire Q.

Reactions: djeck42

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad