Post-Game Talk: Caps 4, Pens 2 - And the Hockey Gods Give the Caps Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I realize it's tough, but losing one guy isn't going to throw everything off. He wasn't on the ice 100% of the time, and we didn't suck balls when Letang wasn't on the ice last season. I see far too much standing around in the defensive zone, and too much collapsing and not pressuring the puck carrier. It's by design, and doesn't have anything to do with personnel.

He was on the ice 50% of the time and everyone else was playing lower in the lineup. Dumo looks worse because he has Hainsey as a partner instead of Letang.

I'm not saying they can't play better, but not having Letang has a trickle down effect on everyone.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Fleury got scored on by 3 chances in between the circles and a fluke bounce. Pens were cruising and it cost them. I think theyll outplay the Caps Monday and win if their D began to confidently break the puck out of the zone.....Olli was good I must not be watching the same series cause hes been good to me all series

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
They'll either make my birthday on Monday or break my birthday on Monday.

I have faith they'll get it done then. It's not easy winning Game 5 on the road when you're up 3-1. Teams have historically won only 42% of the time in that spot.

That push from the caps today was exactly what I am always waiting for when the Pens are playing them and it happened tonight. Have to prevent it from happening in Game 6.

Zags91

Apr 19, 2007
The Caps definitely have a chance to win the next two, but I believe in this team. To get through CBJ in 5 games and win 3 out of 4 against the Caps without Letang and Murray. Granted, Holtby hasn't been good until the 3rd tonight, but I like our chances at home on Monday.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Hainsey looks completely gassed when he's out on the ice for more than a minute. The guy literally can't skate when he's out longer than that.

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
Probably our best game of the series, 3rd period included. although, of course, that's not saying much.

Much better job in the d zone and in transition. However, our dmen keep giving them the blue line and way too much space when they carry the puck in general.

The difference in this game was a mix of the Caps getting a few bounces, the refs not wanting to give us anymore PPs after the show we put on for the 2nd goal and Holtby playing up to his reg season level for once.

No idea why Sullivan thought it was a good idea to get back to the lines that started the series and were a mess (43-71-17 and HBK) although I appreciated the return of HMK the little while it lasted..

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What a terrible effort in a potential close-out game. They haven't had a dominant game yet this round. They better have that game Monday or this is going 7 and the Caps are winning.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Collapsing and protecting any of our netminders isn't our identity. We push the pace, not sit back. We aren't playing like the team we are supposed to be right now. I'm not saying trade chances. The forwards need to backcheck hard to prevent odd man rushes, but we need to be playing with the puck a whole ****ton more than what we've done so far. That's what won us a cup, not what we are doing now. Missing Letang is not an excuse.

We don't have the defensemen to push the play. When we try, we end up trading chances. Your choice.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Caps are a good team. Not like this was the Avs beating us.

Get them at home. In the mean time, figure out how to properly clear the zone.

I agree with most of the reactions here, but this one especially stood out.

Perspective. This is a good ****ing team the Pens are playing and they got the bounces going for them, the ones they weren't getting, this time. Some of the guys in the Pens locker room need to just look at themselves, and realize tonight's effort doesn't beat a very good team. Need to hit all cylinders at home and make sure we don't give them more life.

We knew they could score, because they have scored plenty in the series. We knew Holtby would stand tall at some point. We knew their home crowd would lift them. The team just needs to step up now and show what they're made of

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
That Kuz goal was a real softie. Backstrom goal should have been saved too. Hoping MAF gets back to form Monday.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
He was on the ice 50% of the time and everyone else was playing lower in the lineup. Dumo looks worse because he has Hainsey as a partner instead of Letang.

I'm not saying they can't play better, but not having Letang has a trickle down effect on everyone.

I won't deny your point about the trickle down effect, but guys need to play better regardless.

I really don't know how losing 1 person can completely change your entire team identity. Where's Schultz and Daley? Those guys should be good at pressuring and making smart plays with the puck. Instead we are asking them to defend and block shots.

We literally have changed our identity from a puck possession/speed team, to a defending/counter punch team. Is that who we really are? I'm almost 100% positive we can't win a cup like we are currently playing. It asks your goalie to be too perfect for too long, and relies on you getting luckier than the other team with puck bounces in the long run.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
They're collapsing as a 5-man unit because of Fleury and his propensity for giving up rebounds. They didn't collapse and protect the house like this last year.
Wingers were pressuring the points hard and getting rewarded for it last season because of the blocked shots that ended up going the other way for odd-man rushes.

Kris Letang isn't as important as a lot of you think he is. Sure, we'd be better with him, but most of what has happened in both of our series' so far (being dominated possession and shot-wise) is because of the coaching staffs mistrust of Fleury.

I think you have to go with MM if he's available.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We don't have the defensemen to push the play. When we try, we end up trading chances. Your choice.

Yup. Best we can do is play counter attack up to our forwards but we can't open it up too much. Washington has Carlson, Shatty, Schmidt, and Orlov that can all join or even lead the rush. We have Schultz and uhh Cole?

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Let's be honest, the Penguins shooters made him look real good in the 3rd. At the other end, goals 2 and especially 3 should not have gone in.

You could say that. I was completely baffled Kuhnhackl took that one shot at his blocker and not his weak glove where he had half the freakin net open. Either way he deserves some credit.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They got so sloppy there and the Caps walked away with it. So many small mistakes with the puck. Malkin needs to pull his head out of his ass, what a crap game from him tonight.

They went for the kill in the third. Started trading chances. Holtby made a number of big saves. And then the Caps got the bounces.

This kind of reminds me of the two games in Columbus. Instead of running around trying to hit everyone and everything, the Caps in the third finally opened it up completely and got the breaks. Question now, as it was in that series, is whether it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad