Post-Game Talk: Caps 4, Pens 2 - And the Hockey Gods Give the Caps Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Collapsing to protect Fleury is appropriate.

If anything, we got too loose in the third going for the kill shot. Not unlike the Columbus series, where it became a trade off of chances and the Jackets got a little life.

Collapsing and protecting any of our netminders isn't our identity. We push the pace, not sit back. We aren't playing like the team we are supposed to be right now. I'm not saying trade chances. The forwards need to backcheck hard to prevent odd man rushes, but we need to be playing with the puck a whole ****ton more than what we've done so far. That's what won us a cup, not what we are doing now. Missing Letang is not an excuse.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Well we blew a game we should have won but last time we stole a game we had no business winning. Maybe it evens out.

**** I'm nervous now though.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Win game 6 or go home I think. Hopefully we can have one more strong effort at home to close it out.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Collapsing and protecting any of our netminders isn't our identity. We push the pace, not sit back. We aren't playing like the team we are supposed to be right now. I'm not saying trade chances. The forwards need to backcheck hard to prevent odd man rushes, but we need to be playing with the puck a whole ****ton more than what we've done so far. That's what won us a cup, not what we are doing now. Missing Letang is not an excuse.

Nah we need to collapse while the Caps are set up in the zone. What we don't need is Hagelin not getting it out of the zone or Hainsey dropping to block the shot instead of stepping into Ovi.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Caps are a good team. Not like this was the Avs beating us.

Get them at home. In the mean time, figure out how to properly clear the zone.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
This is probably closer to what the series should have been looking like.. If Holtby was even average the Caps would have at least 3 wins right now.. We've been getting bailed out by bad goaltending.. Hopefully they can come out and play a full 60 in Pittsburgh and finish these losers

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We don't need to overreact. It was a bad few minutes and the Caps scored on their chances while Holtby came up big. The rest of the series was the reverse.

Having said that, Pens need to close it out in game 6. I don't like their chances in a game 7 on the road after blowing two games in a row.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
They got so sloppy there and the Caps walked away with it. So many small mistakes with the puck. Malkin needs to pull his head out of his ass, what a crap game from him tonight.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
worst ****ing 3rd in the sullivan era. that was embarrassing

This.
BUT it was bound to happen vs this WSH team in particular.

The Pens off the rush D with this group dressing is just not very good or quick footed. Hainsey and Olli in particular. Schultz is being asked to play too many minutes. And now Daley's down.
They'll constantly give you the line and expect the F's to cover on the back check.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Nah we need to collapse while the Caps are set up in the zone. What we don't need is Hagelin not getting it out of the zone or Hainsey dropping to block the shot instead of stepping into Ovi.

We are collapsing to the detriment of creating offense. Nobody is pressuring in our defensive zone. Because of that we aren't creating odd man breaks the other way. We are retreating too often in the offensive zone. We are respecting the caps offense so much that we aren't pushing our own. There's too much standing around flat footed.

I'm sorry, but this team is not the team that beat the Caps last postseason, and I don't mean personnel. We are only missing Letang. That is no excuse to play the way we're playing now.

edit: and I'm not overreacting to one loss. It's been like this all series long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad