Post-Game Talk: Caps 4, Pens 2 - And the Hockey Gods Give the Caps Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Yeah this team was lucky to be up 3-1. I mean the eye test didn't show a team that should be up like that. Same scenario as last year. I'll be honest though: It's a possibility they lose Two more games.

Zags91

Apr 19, 2007
The Pens never make things easy for themselves. Oh well, playing at home might be the best thing.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Start chipping pucks out off the boards at the blue line and we'll be fine. The cute 5 ft passes are staying in the zone. Let their D play the puck and we'll regain possession soon enough. Zone exits have been brutal all playoffs, and will cost us the season, weather it is this series or the next.

We aren't the same possession team we were last year, they need to stop trying to be and just make the smart, simple plays. We only need a handful of chances a game to win.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I picked the Pens to win in 6. Despite that, I think things have changed tonight. IMO the Caps are now slight favorites to win the series. We squandered too many chances to put them away. You can only steal so many games before it catches up with you.

We're going to need some huge games from our stars next game. It absolutely cannot go 7.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We are collapsing to the detriment of creating offense. Nobody is pressuring in our defensive zone. Because of that we aren't creating odd man breaks the other way. We are retreating too often in the offensive zone. We are respecting the caps offense so much that we aren't pushing our own. There's too much standing around flat footed.

I'm sorry, but this team is not the team that beat the Caps last postseason, and I don't mean personnel. We are only missing Letang. That is no excuse to play the way we're playing now.

edit: and I'm not overreacting to one loss. It's been like this all series long.

I don't think you and others realize how big a difference Letang makes if you think they can be the team they were last year. Their transition game without him is going to be rough. What is avoidable are the turnovers right inside their blue line.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
What a sloppy game by the Pens. So many weird passes and turnovers.

Hope both Sheary and Crosby are actually alright. Sheary seemed off?

Is Daley injured?

Also, I'm a little worried that Holtby has finally found his game.

Sigh. Anyhow. Finish it on Monday in Pittsburgh.

philchaka

Apr 15, 2014
Brutal, but to be expected when the Capitals have been the better team in 4 of 5 games.

Would be great if the Penguins could come out and out compete them on Monday but we'll see.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I picked the Pens to win in 6. Despite that, I think things have changed tonight. IMO the Caps are now slight favorites to win the series. We squandered too many chances to put them away. You can only steal so many games before it catches up with you.

We're going to need some huge games from our stars next game. It absolutely cannot go 7.

Why is it a guarantee Washington wins game 7? I don't think momentum exists game to game in these playoffs.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
My gosh who didn't call this happening... sullivan will look at what the caps are doing, adjust tomorrow, and with last change in Pittsburgh will get an advantage... plus the pens will have their post loss push back... caps will come out on fire, get stymied and lose... this is tge script.. it was always going at least 6

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
We are collapsing to the detriment of creating offense. Nobody is pressuring in our defensive zone. Because of that we aren't creating odd man breaks the other way. We are retreating too often in the offensive zone. We are respecting the caps offense so much that we aren't pushing our own. There's too much standing around flat footed.

I'm sorry, but this team is not the team that beat the Caps last postseason, and I don't mean personnel. We are only missing Letang. That is no excuse to play the way we're playing now.

edit: and I'm not overreacting to one loss. It's been like this all series long.

Yep. I'd expect more of the same if Fleury isn't in God mode and Holtby isn't terrible again. Getting outshot and outpossessed and relying on clinical finishing and .930 goaltending isn't sustainable. Our PDO must be sky high

WBSPens99

Jun 12, 2016
Bronx, NY
Well they lost 3/4 game 5s last year including against the Caps. They were fine then.

Hopefully they'll take that 3rd as a wake up call that they can't win by just getting a lead and trying to hold it with MAF.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I don't think you and others realize how big a difference Letang makes if you think they can be the team they were last year. Their transition game without him is going to be rough. What is avoidable are the turnovers right inside their blue line.

I realize it's tough, but losing one guy isn't going to throw everything off. He wasn't on the ice 100% of the time, and we didn't suck balls when Letang wasn't on the ice last season. I see far too much standing around in the defensive zone, and too much collapsing and not pressuring the puck carrier. It's by design, and doesn't have anything to do with personnel.

What we're currently doing right now is typically a recipe for failure if your goalie isn't perfect every game. We didn't play scared like this last season.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
their last two did come off of blocked shots right to open Caps. **** luck, but you make your own luck.

Hainsey shouldn't have blocked that shot. You are defending a guy off the rush. By blocking it you take yourself out of the play because you left your feet.

Speed Kills

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
What a sloppy game by the Pens. So many weird passes and turnovers.

Hope both Sheary and Crosby are actually alright. Sheary seemed off?

Also is Daley injured?

I'm a little worried that Holtby has finally found his game.

Sigh. Anyhow. Finish it on Monday in Pittsburgh.

I was wondering the same thing about Daley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad