Post-Game Talk: Caps - 3, Pens - 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'd settle for him just using a stiffer flex on the Powerplay so he can one-time a puck without his stick bending in half just accepting the pass.

Kessel's shortcomings are what they are. You overlook it because/if he puts so many in the net. If Kessel was to start one timing all the cross-ice feeds he gets, I feel like he's got enough goals that we're not talking about all the things he doesn't do.

I agree, but I also think he's been unlucky this year. He hasn't lacked high quality scoring chances. I really don't believe it's out of bounds to say that, if life were a simulation, and you ran the 2015-2016 more than once, he'd have 5-10 more goals this year in most simulations.

I'm not excusing his deficiencies, but this does feel like a worst case scenario situation where he was struggling last year, came here, was expected to dominate, and the puck just isn't going in, and now it's just snowballing on top of him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
At what point is it not bad luck anymore, though? Like Billy said, the guy's stick flex does not allow him to one time pucks with any kind of regularity.

He's gonna need to skate through high traffic areas where he can get closer to the net and take softer passes, IMO. Problem is, he's not going to do that very often.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
yeah, we need to get him working better on the PP. Whether that means he needs to do something different or we need to set him up differently, I don't know. But something needs to be different, because its a waste setting him up for one timers atm.

I'm with billybudd on this. Make him use a stiffer flex on the PP. Our PP is set up to take advantage of Geno's one timer. Kessel's best play I've seen on the PP here is to skate the puck up toward the center point with Sid cutting to the net for a shot pass. That's worked nicely a few times, but he's botched so many one time feeds that they have to try a different stick.

with the whip on his stick, when he actually does connect on a one timer, it's always low. It's really a simple fix I think. Stiffer stick, better one timers, more goals, everyone's happy!

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Kessel might not be able to one-time a puck with any accuracy, anyway (not everyone can), but all I'm saying is with his gear, it isn't even possible to find that out.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
At what point is it not bad luck anymore, though? Like Billy said, the guy's stick flex does not allow him to one time pucks with any kind of regularity.

He's gonna need to skate through high traffic areas where he can get closer to the net and take softer passes, IMO. Problem is, he's not going to do that very often.

I watched a video of all his goals from his Toronto years and found that he was actually quite good at going to the net and getting softer passes/rebounds. Strangely enough, he seemed to be scoring a number of goals on one-timers as well.

Did he go to a lower flex since then? Or perhaps he has a case of the yips when it comes to one-timers. Who knows? He has been producing more lately, so hopefully that continues. I do disagree with the people who are saying he's regressing. He should have 3 or 4 seasons of his prime left and lord knows he's not aged more than his years due to a physical brand of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad