Post-Game Talk: Caps 3, Pens 1 - NOW Geno is Playoff Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
On the Pens playing the Caps, all losing streaks come to an end this year is as good as any. If they finally get excellent goaltending it could happen.
And then they would run into Tampa or Boston in the 3rd round and get smoked. I'm strangely okay with this.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
In the past 2 months, since the beginning of February, we've given up 3+ goals in 20 of 28 games. In 9 of the last 10 games we've given up 3+ goals.

Murray has been incredibly inconsistent, the PK has been terrible, the forwards aren't helping to block shots, the bad backchecking has been bad leading to bad gaps by the defense, there are too many turnovers in our own zone, nobody is paying attention to guys coming late or sneaking in the back door, and our defense pinches at the wrong time far too often leading to odd man rushes the other way. Oh, and our forwards seem to fly the zone a lot before our defense can actually clear the puck.

I feel like I'm watching an incredibly undisciplined hockey team right now that is basically just doing whatever it wants without any consequences. If that's just because they are trying to get the regular season over with... well then so be it I guess. But come playoff time that shit isn't going to fly. This absolutely can not continue if we hope to do anything this postseason.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
In the past 2 months, since the beginning of February, we've given up 3+ goals in 20 of 28 games. In 9 of the last 10 games we've given up 3+ goals.

Murray has been incredibly inconsistent, the PK has been terrible, the forwards aren't helping to block shots, the bad backchecking has been bad leading to bad gaps by the defense, there are too many turnovers in our own zone, nobody is paying attention to guys coming late or sneaking in the back door, and our defense pinches at the wrong time far too often leading to odd man rushes the other way. Oh, and our forwards seem to fly the zone a lot before our defense can actually clear the puck.

I feel like I'm watching an incredibly undisciplined hockey team right now that is basically just doing whatever it wants without any consequences. If that's just because they are trying to get the regular season over with... well then so be it I guess. But come playoff time that **** isn't going to fly. This absolutely can not continue if we hope to do anything this postseason.

Yup. All of that is true. Malkin, in particular, annoyed me last night with his defense. First goal is on him for not busting his ass and I watched him continually do drive by loops in the defensive zone all night, instead of stopping/starting. I know that his style and it sometimes leads to great chances to lead rush the other way, but when he's on, he doesn't stop until he gets the puck. Last night, it was like "hey if I get the puck great, if not, I'll just loop back around and try again later". This created several Dzone breakdowns with 2 Caps in front forcing the weak side wing to play the center spot while Geno swooped all over the place.

Not to just call him out, but he was the worst offender last night IMO.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
To be honest i think Murray is the main reason for the goals against.

I'm not saying the Pens don't have some defensive issues, but I'd put most of the blame on Murray.

I didn't think the Pens gave up much last night.

The Orlov goal was awful, the Oshie goal was a goal you would like to see your goalie stop.

If Murray plays a good game last night the Pens give up 1 goal.

Reactions: Badfish87

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If the Pens constantly cheat up ice and do not play responsible defensively, especially the forwards, are careless with the puck, not blocking shots, and basically being everything that they were not the last two cup runs when the playoffs are here I will worry. I can not imagine that will happen though.

I argued from the start of the season that it would be smart to pace themselves and to not take chances with injury given how much hockey they have played and I will be damned if I am going to criticize them for play that fits exactly that. The one time a player went down to try and block the shot at the end of the game, when doing so was meaningless in the extreme, he got one into the helmet. Luckily he was ok, but it emphasizes the point.

The Pens are relatively healthy going into the playoffs.

They got there looking ugly but STILL likely will end up second in the division with on paper one of the easiest paths forward.

They deserve the benefit of the doubt because so many of us Babe Ruth home run to right field called this even before the season started. They deserve it until the playoffs start and the narrative is proven to be false.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010

I'm not saying the Pens don't have some defensive issues, but I'd put most of the blame on Murray.

The Orlov goal was awful, the Oshie goal was a goal you would like to see your goalie stop.

I'm kinda there with ya on that conclusion. I did think murray was starting to look a little bit better the game before, probably why Sullivan put him in this game. Trying to get him going again.

Goal tending is now our #1 problem imo. we have a few other issues too that don't help. But if we flame out in the playoffs it's most likely gonna be because our goalie gets out played by the other goalie.

Seriously, who here thinks that if we had grubhub and they had murray last night that the caps still win?

Reactions: Andy99

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
If the Pens constantly cheat up ice and do not play responsible defensively, especially the forwards, are careless with the puck, not blocking shots, and basically being everything that they were not the last two cup runs when the playoffs are here I will worry. I can not imagine that will happen though.

I argued from the start of the season that it would be smart to pace themselves and to not take chances with injury given how much hockey they have played and I will be damned if I am going to criticize them for play that fits exactly that. The one time a player went down to try and block the shot at the end of the game, when doing so was meaningless in the extreme, he got one into the helmet. Luckily he was ok, but it emphasizes the point.

The Pens are relatively healthy going into the playoffs.

They got there looking ugly but STILL likely will end up second in the division with on paper one of the easiest paths forward.

They deserve the benefit of the doubt because so many of us Babe Ruth home run to right field called this even before the season started. They deserve it until the playoffs start and the narrative is proven to be false.

I'd like to believe they will flip that proverbial switch on the playoffs too, but I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit concerned at this point. It's not easy to get rid of bad habits you've developed all season long.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

No, that's inaccurate, at least as it pertains to the last 20 games or so. Our defense has consistently turned over the puck, thus feeding the oppositions transition game. We've allowed a lot of breakaways and odd man breaks leaving our goalies out to dry.

Our positioning has been terrible and our PK has been absurdly poor. We've routinely not managed the puck well in the defensive zone and have been terrible when it comes to putting a body on an opposing forward driving to our net. That's not all on the goaltending.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I don’t see how anyone can fault Murray for his play. He’s been concussed and his dad died this year and he still had a great stretch before being concussed.

He is the least of my worries.
While those factors do suck, and have to be taken into the equation to explain his inconsistent play, they don't negate the fact that he absolutely has to be a lot better if we are going anywhere.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
While those factors do suck, and have to be taken into the equation to explain his inconsistent play, they don't negate the fact that he absolutely has to be a lot better if we are going anywhere.

I don’t really know the goals he is saving in the last two games outside that Orlov goal. Even then he was screened by Maatta.

He’s been fine and before his injury was pushing his usual .921 SV%

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm kinda there with ya on that conclusion. I did think murray was starting to look a little bit better the game before, probably why Sullivan put him in this game. Trying to get him going again.

Goal tending is now our #1 problem imo. we have a few other issues too that don't help. But if we flame out in the playoffs it's most likely gonna be because our goalie gets out played by the other goalie.

Seriously, who here thinks that if we had grubhub and they had murray last night that the caps still win?

The Pens probably win the game 5-1 and everybody is talking about how good the Pens played last night.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
No, that's inaccurate, at least as it pertains to the last 20 games or so. Our defense has consistently turned over the puck, thus feeding the oppositions transition game. We've allowed a lot of breakaways and odd man breaks leaving our goalies out to dry.

Our positioning has been terrible and our PK has been absurdly poor. We've routinely not managed the puck well in the defensive zone and have been terrible when it comes to putting a body on an opposing forward driving to our net. That's not all on the goaltending.

I don't know how many games you watch around the league, but every team gives up high quality chances every game.

The Pens are one of the best teams at creating offense, the opponents goalie seems to stop a good number of the Pens chances most games.

We need out goalie to do the same.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'd like to believe they will flip that proverbial switch on the playoffs too, but I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit concerned at this point. It's not easy to get rid of bad habits you've developed all season long.

It is not perfect, admittedly.

However it was a bit of a damned if you do damned if you do not thing. The Pens have played a half season more hockey than most of their opponents over the past couple of years. And for many add international games on top of that. Then the NHL screwed them with this idiotic back to back schedule.

They are entering the playoffs reasonably healthy.

And I doubt that I saw many break much of a sweat in at least half of the games they played. They looked like a team of Ovechkins with his controller off at his worst far too often. Other teams routinely still beat them to pucks, and given the speed on this team you have to think something is going on.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't know how many games you watch around the league, but every team gives up high quality chances every game.

The Pens are one of the best teams at creating offense, the opponents goalie seems to stop a good number of the Pens chances most games.

We need out goalie to do the same.
I watch quite a lot of hockey actually and the Pens defense has been abysmal in comparison to most. Beyond that though if other teams play such inept defense they'll likely be toast themselves.

The Habs had what four breakaways Saturday? Last night didn't both Dumoulin and Maatta turn the puck over when both players had the time and space to clear it? We're not playing good, solid, fundamentally sound hockey. That's not on the goalies. Keep in mind MM had a streak there where he was playing lights out not long before the defense went to mush.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I watch quite a lot of hockey actually and the Pens defense has been abysmal in comparison to most. Beyond that though if other teams play such inept defense they'll likely be toast themselves.

The Habs had what four breakaways Saturday? Last night didn't both Dumoulin and Maatta turn the puck over when both players had the time and space to clear it? We're not playing good, solid, fundamentally sound hockey. That's not on the goalies. Keep in mind MM had a streak there where he was playing lights out not long before the defense went to mush.

That's hockey.

Teams are going to give up odd man rushes, teams are going to have turnovers.

Sid had a 2 on 1 last night, Grub stopped him.

Caps had a brutal turnover behind their net and Grub made an incredible save on Sid.

Pens had a bunch of great looks on the PP, Grub stopped them.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Tough to get upset about that one, really.

I thought the Pens actually looked a bit better than they have, lately. Gotta credit Grubauer for a great game.

Gotta love Geno in this one, too. I hope he can at least crack 100, this year.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t really know the goals he is saving in the last two games outside that Orlov goal. Even then he was screened by Maatta.

He’s been fine and before his injury was pushing his usual .921 SV%

The problem isn’t with how Murray was playing in Jan-Feb, the issue is how he’s playing since returning from his injury....everyone knows he can be great. That’s not the issue....it’s just that he hasnt been great and people are “hoping” he’ll return to that form but no one knows that he will.

We don’t have a great defense. And we play a risky style. We are more reliant on great goaltending to succeed in the POs than maybe some people realize. If Murray is average and our opponent gets better goaltending, which is what happened last night, we will be out of the POs quickly ....

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So if a couple of those close ones had gone in, like Geno's that Grubs had zero chance on that went off the pipe and a couple of others, would we be planning the three-peat parade right now?

Reactions: zero8771

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The problem isn’t with how Murray was playing in Jan-Feb, the issue is how he’s playing since returning from his injury....everyone knows he can be great. That’s not the issue....it’s just that he hasnt been great and people are “hoping” he’ll return to that form but no one knows that he will.

We don’t have a great defense. And we play a risky style. We are more reliant on great goaltending to succeed in the POs than maybe some people realize. If Murray is average and our opponent gets better goaltending, which is what happened last night, we will be out of the POs quickly ....

He’s played three games and honestly look great in two of them.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So if a couple of those close ones had gone in, like Geno's that Grubs had zero chance on that went off the pipe and a couple of others, would we be planning the three-peat parade right now?

The thing is this is what we’ve been doing and facing all year...our PDO is still not where it should be and we’ve had problems scoring at ES all year with the exception of that stretch in Jan-Feb...it could turn around but we can’t rely on that...we need stellar goaltending for this team to succeed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad