Post-Game Talk: Caps 3, Pens 1 - NOW Geno is Playoff Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I like literally no options on this team for Sid’s RW besides Sid and the Kids sometimes, Except playoff Kessel would probably work but it will never happen. So.. Rust looks mediocre with Sid, Horny can’t make many plays at ES. It’s all the same and it really will all depend in a series on how Crosby and Guentzel do.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Only thing to worry about is Murray. Some things wont be fixed like last year(goalies made up for it) but our stars will be our stars ( hopefully phil)

Reactions: vodeni

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
You can keep your pound of flesh. I want Geno to bury Kuz on the scoreboard. This team isn't functioning well enough to have one of our big guns lose his mind and end up off the ice in the box/room/suspended. It'd likely lead to the team coming unraveled as well. Domino effect, Pens v Flyers circa 2012, etc.

Just win.

Reactions: EightyOne and Turin

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
+ Sid
+ PK

- Phil
- flubbing the puck 800 times
- d men not skating the puck up when they have time and space and instead throwing the puck wildly up ice

Was at the game and it felt like the pens cranked it up a notch in their skating early. Seemed like they were a little rusty playing at that speed. A lot of bad decisions and inability to control passes. Place was asleep after 3rd goal so wouldn't judge them on the 3rd. Overall I was actually pleased with a lot that I saw. Minus phil, hope hes humming when it counts

Reactions: BHD and Turin

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I like literally no options on this team for Sid’s RW besides Sid and the Kids sometimes, Except playoff Kessel would probably work but it will never happen. So.. Rust looks mediocre with Sid, Horny can’t make many plays at ES. It’s all the same and it really will all depend in a series on how Crosby and Guentzel do.

Against the Caps?

I'd go HGH and, assuming Phil has his **** together, Phil with Sid and Jake. Then, I'd play Rust with Brass and Sheahan.

OR

I'd go Sheary-Sid-Horny, HGR, and Jake-Brass-Phil

Any other collection of combinations is silly.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Jake-Sid-____
Hags-Geno-____
____-Brassard-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-____

With Horny, Rust, ZAR, and Jooris/Simon filling those spots. That's the framework. Let those guys rotate in and out of those lines. And double shift Sid, Geno, Kessel and Brassard in for Jooris/Simon, ZAR, and Sheary as often as possible.

I'd just add:

Jake/Sheary-Sid-NotRust
Hags-G-Horny/Rust

to that but the guys filling the spots are correct with the caveat that it'd be nice to try Sprong again somewhere but it's impossible without a call up + we know they won't.

Reactions: KIRK

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Time for a Pens staffer to send a video to the NHL of all the crap Hornqvist gets after a whistle and ask for a clarification of the rules.

Reactions: BlacknGold4life

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Rule #1 of Hockey Club: Don't poke the bear.
6607db5a-8bb9-4b6c-85bb-cdf6fed3fd8c.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd just add:

Jake-Sid-NotRust
Hags-G-Horny/Rust

to that but the guys filling the spots are correct with the caveat that it'd be nice to try Sprong again somewhere but it's impossible without a call up + we know they won't.

You know, I've got to say this: I know the numbers are okay, but Jake has been pretty underwhelming with Sid.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
And second of back2backs against a rested opponent with something to prove against the Pens. The Pens have zero to prove against these underachieving clowns. I said before the game began, let Washington have the win, I didn't care either way.

Just looked up the remaining schedule. Only 2 games left, obviously back to back. Last game is against the Sens so hopefully they can lock up home ice and mail that one in.

Good news is Their season ends April 6th, and the last regular season game is the 8th and then all the back 2 back shit is done and over with, and the playoffs don't start the until the 12th. Almost a full week off.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
I know this has been beaten to death but the play of Murray is very concerning to me. He looks slow to react, and just slow in general is he out of shape? Not hitting the panic button yet but come playoff time if he is not at least competent things will get ugly in a hurray. I mean hurry, heh.

Reactions: BillPrep

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Just looked up the remaining schedule. Only 2 games left, obviously back to back. Last game is against the Sens so hopefully they can lock up home ice and mail that one in.

Good news is Their season ends April 6th, and the last regular season game is the 8th and then all the back 2 back **** is done and over with, and the playoffs don't start the until the 12th. Almost a full week off.

I get this feeling that the NHL will make the Pens, and only the Pens, play all B2B games in the playoffs.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Good news is Their season ends April 6th, and the last regular season game is the 8th and then all the back 2 back **** is done and over with, and the playoffs don't start the until the 12th. Almost a full week off.

The Flyers are 2 points back. They also finish at the Isles, then home to the Canes and Rangers. I'm not sure the Pens won't need to win out to clinch home ice.

That said, beating the Blue Jackets is the key. Beat the Blue Jackets, and the Pens pretty much are locked into a 2/3 with the Flyers.

I don't know that I necessarily WISH to play anyone, but I think the Flyers, relatively speaking, are the best matchup for the Pens.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I know this has been beaten to death but the play of Murray is very concerning to me. He looks slow to react, and just slow in general is he out of shape? Not hitting the panic button yet but come playoff time if he is not at least competent things will get ugly in a hurray.

Yeah that should be the only major worry but having said that he’s not lost a playoff series yet so he gets a lot of benefit of the doubt.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I know this has been beaten to death but the play of Murray is very concerning to me. He looks slow to react, and just slow in general is he out of shape? Not hitting the panic button yet but come playoff time if he is not at least competent things will get ugly in a hurray. I mean hurry, heh.

His rebound control also is a concern. The guy who smothered most things and kicked rebounds to the least dangerous areas almost every other time the last two playoffs is pretty much doing neither right now.

Reactions: BillPrep

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
my ideal would be throwing either ZAR or Simon there. Sid and Jake can make stuff happen anyway. Tell them to play smart and safe. Horny and Rust have both looked better elsewhere imo this year, so let them do work against lesser defenses on different lines. Dare teams to put their d focus somewhere else.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah that should be the only major worry but having said that he’s not lost a playoff series yet so he gets a lot of benefit of the doubt.

Phil is a major worry

The defense, really ALL the pairings, is a major worry (Dumo-Letang is a skittish first pair, Maatta-Schultz leaves a lot to be desired for a 9.5M per pairing, and Hunwick-Oleksiask is a complete train wreck).

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I get this feeling that the NHL will make the Pens, and only the Pens, play all B2B games in the playoffs.

Then we’d win because we wouldn’t be playing an opposing team on the second night, automatic win.....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad