Post-Game Talk: Caps 1 Oilers 0

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes winning will help. But you want to win for the right reasons, you want to win because you are good. If you win due to luck and get complacent and it works badly for you. Aka Calgary and Colarado.

I agree but lucky wins are a part of hockey too. Good teams find ways to win, bad teams find ways to lose. The Caps found a way to win and we found a way to lose. That right there is the difference between a good team and a bad team.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I do believe overtime is a part of hockey. The 2006 Oilers don't make the playoffs unless they played a lot of OT games.

There's been at least 5 games this year we've lost in the last 10 minutes of the third period. If the team is to improve that has to stop.
And it has mostly been melt downs by our bottom six and bottom pairing d.

We aren't the worst team in the league. There is at least 5 teams that are worse.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I agree but lucky wins are a part of hockey too. Good teams find ways to win, bad teams find ways to lose. The Caps found a way to win and we found a way to lose. That right there is the difference between a good team and a bad team.
I disagree with that.

Bad players make mistakes. And we still have a bunch of bad players.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I disagree with that.

Bad players make mistakes. And we still have a bunch of bad players.

And it has mostly been melt downs by our bottom six and bottom pairing d.

We aren't the worst team in the league. There is at least 5 teams that are worse.

I agree in concept but every team has bad players. Tom Wilson has 7 goals in 169 games. That's not good. The Oilers have to find a way to overcome their bad players. We've cycled out so many bottom 6 players and defensemen I wonder if we'll ever find any effective players for those roles.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I agree in concept but every team has bad players. Tom Wilson has 7 goals in 169 games. That's not good. The Oilers have to find a way to overcome their bad players. We've cycled out so many bottom 6 players and defensemen I wonder if we'll ever find any effective players for those roles.
When Calgary beat Washington does that mean Washington is a bad team that found a way to lose it that Calgary is a good team that found a way to win? Cause neither of those is true.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
When Calgary beat Washington does that mean Washington is a bad team that found a way to lose it that Calgary is a good team that found a way to win? Cause neither of those is true.

You're right. Good teams lose.

But Washington has also won twice as many games as we have. If the Oilers were in Washington's spot (5th overall), a loss like yesterday's wouldn't be a big deal. It would be one of those things that just happens.

When you're in 30th place and haven't won back to back games in over a month, those games seem to be the norm. Just not good enough. The Oilers keep smacking their heads against the glass ceiling that they just can't seem to break through.

Also there's something to keep in mind in regards to next year. We have no goalies signed and I don't think there are any potential UFA goalies that would help us out.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

The part about Washington came totally as a result of Replaement asking how we could be expected to beat a team like Washington. We listed several cases of lousy teams, 'worse than us' beating them.

This team has shown enough talent in their wins that on any given day we should not be surprised by a win and should be expecting more wins.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The part about Washington came totally as a result of Replaement asking how we could be expected to beat a team like Washington. We listed several cases of lousy teams, 'worse than us' beating them.

This team has shown enough talent in their wins that on any given day we should not be surprised by a win and should be expecting more wins.

I never thought I'd enter the universe where I'd be on the same page as BF, but he's right.

That game was ripe for the picking and the Oilers fumbled it, as they have many times this season.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
They're probably not sulking but continued failure will take its toll. The team has to start winning to feel better about themselves. Yes it's different than in previous years but it's not easy to overcome years and years of losing. The Oilers have to find a way to close games out otherwise things will just repeat themselves.

Most of those teams sucked for a year or two, three max. Not 10. Not continually finishing in last place and watching every other NHL team succeed with a fraction of the talent.

We're not really talking about the Oilers here anymore are we? Because the only way anything you're saying with regards to winning and losing and such makes sense is as projections of your own frustration with the team. I find it impossible to believe that the Oilers record over the past 10 years matters to anyone on this roster. Nor do I think these guys are delicate flowers who need the constant gratification of wins to feel good about themselves or else they collapse. If they are, it's astonishing they could make it this far in pro sports.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
You're right. Good teams lose.

But Washington has also won twice as many games as we have. If the Oilers were in Washington's spot (5th overall), a loss like yesterday's wouldn't be a big deal. It would be one of those things that just happens.

When you're in 30th place and haven't won back to back games in over a month, those games seem to be the norm. Just not good enough. The Oilers keep smacking their heads against the glass ceiling that they just can't seem to break through.

Also there's something to keep in mind in regards to next year. We have no goalies signed and I don't think there are any potential UFA goalies that would help us out.

If this line-up/coaching/management was what we had the year after we started our rebuild, would you be thinking this way? Or is it the years of previous management, coaching and line-ups that have resulted in being so sour?

Nobody is excusing the years of crap that we've watched, but it is in the past. Different management, different coaches (if you could even call them that), and different line-ups. The only players that have remained over the years are the ones that are keeping us in the games this season.

We were told that they weren't going to talk about playoffs, like the previous coaches and management always did. They are going to focus on building a foundation that results in winning. Not trying to get into the playoffs with holes in their game. Most of us can see that they are getting close for the first time in this rebuild.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I just want them to be mediocre or even a little less than that, like .500 for the season. I would consider that a success.

I hear you...and I dont necessarily disagree.

Its just going to take some time. The team Chiarelli and McLellan inherited was broken.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
I hear you...and I dont necessarily disagree.

Its just going to take some time. The team Chiarelli and McLellan inherited was broken.

THANK YOU!

It takes longer than 20 games to fix a broken team. And before I get the inevitable response, no, the previous years do not count to the 20 games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We're not really talking about the Oilers here anymore are we? Because the only way anything you're saying with regards to winning and losing and such makes sense is as projections of your own frustration with the team. I find it impossible to believe that the Oilers record over the past 10 years matters to anyone on this roster. Nor do I think these guys are delicate flowers who need the constant gratification of wins to feel good about themselves or else they collapse. If they are, it's astonishing they could make it this far in pro sports.

Years of losing is hard to overcome. We have entered a new era but little flashes of the "old" Oilers still show up every so often. The constant blowing of games in the third is eerily reminiscent of the year when we couldn't win any games when tied after 2. Unfortunately these flashes are usually what end up costing us games. The Oilers simply must overcome these faults if they're to progress.

If this line-up/coaching/management was what we had the year after we started our rebuild, would you be thinking this way? Or is it the years of previous management, coaching and line-ups that have resulted in being so sour?

Nobody is excusing the years of crap that we've watched, but it is in the past. Different management, different coaches (if you could even call them that), and different line-ups. The only players that have remained over the years are the ones that are keeping us in the games this season.

We were told that they weren't going to talk about playoffs, like the previous coaches and management always did. They are going to focus on building a foundation that results in winning. Not trying to get into the playoffs with holes in their game. Most of us can see that they are getting close for the first time in this rebuild.

But they aren't winning. Isn't that alarming to anyone? To be focusing on development yet still seeing the same results is a little scary. They are doing little things better, the effort is there but the results are the same.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Years of losing is hard to overcome. We have entered a new era but little flashes of the "old" Oilers still show up every so often. The constant blowing of games in the third is eerily reminiscent of the year when we couldn't win any games when tied after 2. Unfortunately these flashes are usually what end up costing us games. The Oilers simply must overcome these faults if they're to progress.

But they aren't winning. Isn't that alarming to anyone? To be focusing on development yet still seeing the same results is a little scary. They are doing little things better, the effort is there but the results are the same.

No doubt they have to start winning. Everyone agrees with that. No one is saying that it's ok to keep losing. What everyone is saying is that we see we're getting there.

Unlike in years past, we're not constantly being outshot. Running around in our own zone. Having terrible defensive breakdowns. Having turn over after turn over. Winning by scoring 4 goals on 17 shots while allowing 2 goals on 43 shots....

Have you considered the fact that them losing in so many different ways is going to help them in the future? Knowing what not to do is just as important as knowing what to do.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
THANK YOU!

It takes longer than 20 games to fix a broken team. And before I get the inevitable response, no, the previous years do not count to the 20 games.

It does indeed. I understand that there are 10 years of frustration fueling most, if not all, of the 'win now' crowd but this is a new regime.
A new regime having to fix the abject stupidity of Lowe and Company.

I find it hard to believe that anybody sincerely thought that the turnaround would happen in 20 games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No doubt they have to start winning. Everyone agrees with that. No one is saying that it's ok to keep losing. What everyone is saying is that we see we're getting there.

Unlike in years past, we're not constantly being outshot. Running around in our own zone. Having terrible defensive breakdowns. Having turn over after turn over. Winning by scoring 4 goals on 17 shots while allowing 2 goals on 43 shots....

Have you considered the fact that them losing in so many different ways is going to help them in the future? Knowing what not to do is just as important as knowing what to do.

The Oilers have practically written the book, "100 ways to lose hockey games". They need to learn how to win games. That is imperative.

It does indeed. I understand that there are 10 years of frustration fueling most, if not all, of the 'win now' crowd but this is a new regime.
A new regime having to fix the abject stupidity of Lowe and Company.

I find it hard to believe that anybody sincerely thought that the turnaround would happen in 20 games.

I think most of us expected the team to not be in DFL. That shouldn't be an unreasonable expectation.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I think some felt that the needs in goal & on defense would be obvious, and addressed more completely with more proven pieces.

It's also hard to fully buy into the "new regime" concept when Lowe & MacT are still in the room and on the payroll, too.

I don't think anyone expected a top seeding after 20 games, but I think few expected to be last in the NHL again after 20 games. Furthermore, I think if you polled fans and executives alike before the season started, and asked, "would it be acceptable to be last in the NHL 1/4 of the way into the season next year?" The answer would have been a unanimous "No."

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Oilers have practically written the book, "100 ways to lose hockey games". They need to learn how to win games. That is imperative.

I think most of us expected the team to not be in DFL. That shouldn't be an unreasonable expectation.

Some serious dramatics here. If this team is in the bottom 5 when the season has concluded then IMO you will have every reason to be a Debbie Downer.

Lots of hockey to be played yet.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Years of losing is hard to overcome.

For who? By your own admission this team has been turned over multiple times: short of a gypsy curse on the locker room, I fail to see how years of losing matters to guys who've been here for a year or two (which is what, 90 per cent of the roster?)

So your expectation is that teams go from bad to great with nothing in between? Just flip a switch and boom, you're a winner? I don't get it at all.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Some serious dramatics here. If this team is in the bottom 5 when the season has concluded then IMO you will have every reason to be a Debbie Downer.

Lots of hockey to be played yet.

I'd be curious to know how many teams that are in 30th in November finished higher than 26th when the season ends.

The Oilers have 4 games left this month. Winning all 4 gives us 23 points, which should push us up the standings a minimum of 4 spots, but this is largely dependent on how the other teams do. Let's look at last season.

The Devils finished in 25th with 78 points. To get to that this year the Oilers need to be on a .516 average for the remainder of the season.

The year before the Canucks finished 25th with 83 points. Obviously that raises the points percentage slightly. With no afterthought teams so far this year, the Oilers would have to be above .500 for 61 games to possibly reach 25th place. For a team that's currently on a .357 pace, that seems a little steep, don't you think?

And before we hit the "brutal schedule" remark... We still have 3 games left against the Kings, 4 against the Ducks, and we have yet to play the Sharks. Not to mention more games against the Preds, Wild, Hawks, Blues, Stars... Well, you get the idea.

The point is to get out of the bottom 5 the Oilers need at least 80 points this season. That's a very tall order for this team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'd be curious to know how many teams that are in 30th in November finished higher than 26th when the season ends.

The Oilers have 4 games left this month. Winning all 4 gives us 23 points, which should push us up the standings a minimum of 4 spots, but this is largely dependent on how the other teams do. Let's look at last season.

The Devils finished in 25th with 78 points. To get to that this year the Oilers need to be on a .516 average for the remainder of the season.

The year before the Canucks finished 25th with 83 points. Obviously that raises the points percentage slightly. With no afterthought teams so far this year, the Oilers would have to be above .500 for 61 games to possibly reach 25th place. For a team that's currently on a .357 pace, that seems a little steep, don't you think?

And before we hit the "brutal schedule" remark... We still have 3 games left against the Kings, 4 against the Ducks, and we have yet to play the Sharks. Not to mention more games against the Preds, Wild, Hawks, Blues, Stars... Well, you get the idea.

The point is to get out of the bottom 5 the Oilers need at least 80 points this season. That's a very tall order for this team.

The Oilers are 5 points away from being in 20th overall.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
For who? By your own admission this team has been turned over multiple times: short of a gypsy curse on the locker room, I fail to see how years of losing matters to guys who've been here for a year or two (which is what, 90 per cent of the roster?)

So your expectation is that teams go from bad to great with nothing in between? Just flip a switch and boom, you're a winner? I don't get it at all.

I don't expect the Oilers to be great anytime soon. I would at least like to see them make headway in the standings. That is where it starts. Also in regards to the players we bring in... When's the last time this team brought someone in and they lit the team on fire? Perron?

Most people manage to be unhappy without subjecting the board to the dame damn post fifty three times a day.

I'll try waving my pompoms next time. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad