Post-Game Talk: Caps 1 Oilers 0

McDeathbyCheerios*

At this point I'd take a playoff fluke over years and years and years of last place finishes. Losing has taught the Oilers absolutely nothing. It has to stop.
I wouldn't. I would rather suffer for another year then fluke into the playoffs, get our hopes up and go right back to missing playoffs for years.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't. I would rather suffer for another year then fluke into the playoffs, get our hopes up and go right back to missing playoffs for years.

That sounds like something the Oilers would do, except for the making the playoffs part.

The West is too steep to just keep losing, and we haven't been having success against the cream of the crop either. One point in 9 games against the top 8 of the conference (which doesn't include Vancouver).

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Well I'm glad Hall feels that way. Does everyone else on the team? This season has shown us that one bad player is enough to bring the entire team down. This team isn't good enough to overcome it's abominable fourth line, 3rd d-pairing or if the goalie is poor.

They're proffesional athletes, I'm sure they're well aware of what's going on. You're probably taking the losses harder than them with this cup half empty approach.

McDeathbyCheerios*

That sounds like something the Oilers would do, except for the making the playoffs part.

The West is too steep to just keep losing, and we haven't been having success against the cream of the crop either. One point in 9 games against the top 8 of the conference (which doesn't include Vancouver).
We are winning more against the west then last year. Last year we still havent even beat a western team.

Last year we looked garbage in wins and garbage in losses.

This year we look good in wins and good in losses for the most part. That's a huge change. That's a sign of a big turn around. If we keep up this play for the year we will stop the bad mistakes and probably end up 25.

Next year we make playoffs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We are winning more against the west then last year. Last year we still havent even beat a western team.

3-10-1. By far the worst record against the West. No wins against the Central either.

They're proffesional athletes, I'm sure they're well aware of what's going on. You're probably taking the losses harder than them with this cup half empty approach.

It's hard to take because they're in last place when they really shouldn't be. It's really only a matter of time before frustration sets in. They are not a last place team yet the standings say they are. It's difficult to feel good about a team that's in last place because they keep screwing up games in the most crucial times.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
If winning breeds winning, why do teams that put together fluke runs like Calgary last year and Colorado in other years always fall back to losing when their luck runs out? Why it's almost as if we're talking about a meaningless tautology or something!

I really can't believe there are people who would be happy with a one and done team after all these years of misery. the suffering we've been through will only be worth it if the reward is sustained success, not a flash in the pan.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If winning breeds winning, why do teams that put together fluke runs like Calgary last year and Colorado in other years always fall back to losing when their luck runs out? Why it's almost as if we're talking about a meaningless tautology or something!

I really can't believe there are people who would be happy with a one and done team after all these years of misery. the suffering we've been through will only be worth it if the reward is sustained success, not a flash in the pan.

For every Calgary and Colorado there's two of Montreal, Washington, Chicago, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Anaheim, etc etc etc....

I don't see how losing year after year is the road of sustained success. It doesn't work that way.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
At this point I'd take a playoff fluke over years and years and years of last place finishes. Losing has taught the Oilers absolutely nothing. It has to stop.

Well I'm glad Hall feels that way. Does everyone else on the team? This season has shown us that one bad player is enough to bring the entire team down. This team isn't good enough to overcome it's abominable fourth line, 3rd d-pairing or if the goalie is poor.

This is interesting. You say that you want the team to be blown up, but admit that it isn't the core that is holding the team down. It makes no sense.

Saying that you want a fluke playoff appearance where we get bounced in the first round because we're not legit is a ridiculous way of thinking. Yes, we have missed the playoffs for a very long time. Yes, this rebuild has taken longer than anyone would want it to. But it will all be for nothing if we build a team that is no better than first round filler. And we all know that your response will be that we have become nothing but last place for the last few years, but we can all see the improvement. I am ok with this team so far this year, and I said before the season started that they will improve as the season goes on. I do not want our team to become the next Toronto, Colorado, Calgary, and this year Arizona.

It's actually quite telling when certain posters who are labelled as "negative" and "trolls" by most other posters have recently been fairly positive. Being negative for the sake of being negative doesn't make you seem edgy on this forum. It makes you seem blind.

McDeathbyCheerios*

For every Calgary and Colorado there's two of Montreal, Washington, Chicago, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Anaheim, etc etc etc....

I don't see how losing year after year is the road of sustained success. It doesn't work that way.
There is a difference though. Those first 2 you listed won due to flukes and unattainable goaltending or luck. The other teams you mentioned all won because they were simply better teams.

That's the difference. We are either equal in games or the better team and lose. Not just winning due to random bounces or goalies standing on their head. Losing like this now shows that we are close to being good sustainably. That's much better than lucky wins.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is interesting. You say that you want the team to be blown up, but admit that it isn't the core that is holding the team down. It makes no sense.

Well the core is the only thing unchanged in the last number of years. I'm not even sure what "The core" is anymore. Hall/Eberle/RNH?

Saying that you want a fluke playoff appearance where we get bounced in the first round because we're not legit is a ridiculous way of thinking. Yes, we have missed the playoffs for a very long time. Yes, this rebuild has taken longer than anyone would want it to. But it will all be for nothing if we build a team that is no better than first round filler. And we all know that your response will be that we have become nothing but last place for the last few years, but we can all see the improvement. I am ok with this team so far this year, and I said before the season started that they will improve as the season goes on. I do not want our team to become the next Toronto, Colorado, Calgary, and this year Arizona.

This team has to make the playoffs sometime and they're not going to sweep through them should they make them. There will be playoff failures. While I don't necessarily want us to be one and done playoff experience would be quite nice rather than selling all our UFAs at the TDL. But the longer the losing goes on the harder it will be to turn it around. We're not going to make them this year and I don't think next year's that possible either.

It's actually quite telling when certain posters who are labelled as "negative" and "trolls" by most other posters have recently been fairly positive. Being negative for the sake of being negative doesn't make you seem edgy on this forum. It makes you seem blind.

I'm negative because the team is still in last place. That's not acceptable to me, nor should it be acceptable to anyone.

The team is "visually better".

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

You keep saying this, and I want to know how it does work in your mind. You want a perennial losing team to start winning suddenly. OK, great... so does every one on this board. How does this transition actually occur? I imagine it is a much more complex process than you yelling at them repeatedly to "just win." Perhaps it involves the process we are witnessing now?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There is a difference though. Those first 2 you listed won due to flukes and unattainable goaltending or luck. The other teams you mentioned all won because they were simply better teams.

That's the difference. We are either equal in games or the better team and lose. Not just winning due to random bounces or goalies standing on their head. Losing like this now shows that we are close to being good sustainably. That's much better than lucky wins.

Luck is a part of every sporting event. Sometimes you just win because you're lucky. It happens. Unless you're the Oilers I guess, who spent all their luck at the draft lottery last year.

Also goalies seem to stand on their head a lot against us. Price is the only really good goalie we've beaten all year, and we beat him for fun.

Also while we're on the subject of unsustainable and flukes and whatnot... Surely the Oilers can't fluke another draft lottery win, can they?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Luck is a part of every sporting event. Sometimes you just win because you're lucky. It happens. Unless you're the Oilers I guess, who spent all their luck at the draft lottery last year.

Also goalies seem to stand on their head a lot against us. Price is the only really good goalie we've beaten all year, and we beat him for fun.

Also while we're on the subject of unsustainable and flukes and whatnot... Surely the Oilers can't fluke another draft lottery win, can they?
Yes but I rather the team actually play good and lose. Then be bad and constantly fluke into wins

McDeathbyCheerios*

You keep saying this, and I want to know how it does work in your mind. You want a perennial losing team to start winning suddenly. OK, great... so does every one on this board. How does this transition actually occur? I imagine it is a much more complex process than you yelling at them repeatedly to "just win." Perhaps it involves the process we are witnessing now?
Nope doesn't matter. Wins are it. No process nothing. Either you win or lose, there is no grey.

Am I doing it right?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I don't expect the Oilers to win every game, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that department. I do expect them to win more than one out of every three games. I expect them to not suffer another sub-30 win season this year.

My question is, how do other teams do it? How is every team in the NHL right now better than us? Are we really that bad? Unlucky? This is the best chance the Oilers have had in a long time to make the playoffs with the division being so poor a 9th place team might make the playoffs and yet they squander game after game due to an inability to close games out. Until this team learns to hold on in the third or take games over in clutch time they won't be going anywhere.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
It's hard to take because they're in last place when they really shouldn't be. It's really only a matter of time before frustration sets in. They are not a last place team yet the standings say they are. It's difficult to feel good about a team that's in last place because they keep screwing up games in the most crucial times.

I feel that this represents how you're feeling and not the team. We're both speculating, but I highly doubt they're sulking about their efforts, especially with Todd there. The sulking sets in when there's no light at the end of the tunnel like we saw in the Eakins era.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Yes good teams with balanced rosters and good coaching management tend to be winning teams. Is this even news? We're getting closer on the first point and seem to have finally got the second. Wins will follow. Again: the idea is to be more like those consistent teams than the flashes in the pan.

I don't see how losing year after year is the road of sustained success. It doesn't work that way

All of those teams you mentioned have gone through various stages where they sucked. If winning breeds winning and losing breeds losing, no team would ever turn around. That's why it's a meaningless tautology.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I feel that this represents how you're feeling and not the team. We're both speculating, but I highly doubt they're sulking about their efforts, especially with Todd there. The sulking sets in when there's no light at the end of the tunnel like we saw in the Eakins era.

They're probably not sulking but continued failure will take its toll. The team has to start winning to feel better about themselves. Yes it's different than in previous years but it's not easy to overcome years and years of losing. The Oilers have to find a way to close games out otherwise things will just repeat themselves.

Yes good teams with balanced rosters and good coaching management tend to be winning teams. Is this even news? We're getting closer on the first point and seem to have finally got the second. Wins will follow. Again: the idea is to be more like those consistent teams than the flashes in the pan.

All of those teams you mentioned have gone through various stages where they sucked. If winning breeds winning and losing breeds losing, no team would ever turn around. That's why it's a meaningless tautology.

Most of those teams sucked for a year or two, three max. Not 10. Not continually finishing in last place and watching every other NHL team succeed with a fraction of the talent.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

This is how a good hockey mind and NHL coach responds. The message and the tone is honest and consistent with what he has been talking about all season:

[NHL]882371[/NHL]

"If anyone leaves the rink with their head hanging down, I'm going to kick them in the butt."

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Losing doesn't breed a healthy mentality, especially if you play well. If you win you gain confidence and belief that you can win games.

Losing... well, it does just the opposite.

It's far more complex than that.

There's absolutely nothing concrete behind saying the Oilers losing now will make it harder for them to win later.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I don't expect the Oilers to win every game, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that department. I do expect them to win more than one out of every three games. I expect them to not suffer another sub-30 win season this year.

My question is, how do other teams do it? How is every team in the NHL right now better than us? Are we really that bad? Unlucky? This is the best chance the Oilers have had in a long time to make the playoffs with the division being so poor a 9th place team might make the playoffs and yet they squander game after game due to an inability to close games out. Until this team learns to hold on in the third or take games over in clutch time they won't be going anywhere.
If you want to look at wins as the metric then we are tied for last with 7. Philly, Toronto, Carolina and Anaheim.

Vancouver, Florida, Buffalo, Colarado, Calgary and Columbus all have 8.

If you look at ROW (Regulation and Overtime wins)

We are tied for 22nd with 7.

We look even worse due to lack of just making it into overtime. That's it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's far more complex than that.

There's absolutely nothing concrete behind saying the Oilers losing now will make it harder for them to win later.

But wouldn't winning rectify that so much? Winning creates belief. If the Oilers won last night's game don't you think they'd feel really good about themselves that they overcame a really strong performance by a goalie and beat a good team in their own barn?

I guarantee you they don't feel nearly as good about giving up another late GWG to a team they probably should've beaten.

McDeathbyCheerios*

But wouldn't winning rectify that so much? Winning creates belief. If the Oilers won last night's game don't you think they'd feel really good about themselves that they overcame a really strong performance by a goalie and beat a good team in their own barn?

I guarantee you they don't feel nearly as good about giving up another late GWG to a team they probably should've beaten.
Yes winning will help. But you want to win for the right reasons, you want to win because you are good. If you win due to luck and get complacent and it works badly for you. Aka Calgary and Colarado.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If you want to look at wins as the metric then we are tied for last with 7. Philly, Toronto, Carolina and Anaheim.

Vancouver, Florida, Buffalo, Colarado, Calgary and Columbus all have 8.

If you look at ROW (Regulation and Overtime wins)

We are tied for 22nd with 7.

We look even worse due to lack of just making it into overtime. That's it.

I do believe overtime is a part of hockey. The 2006 Oilers don't make the playoffs unless they played a lot of OT games.

There's been at least 5 games this year we've lost in the last 10 minutes of the third period. If the team is to improve that has to stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad