Post-Game Talk: Caps 1 Oilers 0

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers are 5 points away from being in 20th overall.

Thats right....5 points.

But it's not that simple. They need to gain more points than the teams in front of them. Let's look at tomorrow's game. Say they lose in overtime. They gain a point but remain tied with Columbus while Carolina gets two points.

If they win they move to 17 points. But Columbus and Buffalo are also playing. Say they both win. They don't gain ground on either. They need to string together wins to leap ahead of those teams.

Yesterday the Flyers won, thus putting them two points further ahead of us. If they win tomorrow and nobody else they're chasing wins, then they gain ground. If they sweep the rest of the road trip they're likely out of the bottom 5.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
But it's not that simple. They need to gain more points than the teams in front of them. Let's look at tomorrow's game. Say they lose in overtime. They gain a point but remain tied with Columbus while Carolina gets two points.

If they win they move to 17 points. But Columbus and Buffalo are also playing. Say they both win. They don't gain ground on either. They need to string together wins to leap ahead of those teams.

Yesterday the Flyers won, thus putting them two points further ahead of us. If they win tomorrow and nobody else they're chasing wins, then they gain ground. If they sweep the rest of the road trip they're likely out of the bottom 5.

Being that there are 61 games left to play why are you getting lathered up about 5 points?

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I feel bad for Hall man I can't believe how high he in in the scoring race if he had a better D corps to play in front of. Benn and Seguin and Klingberg have each other to play off of. Hall passed had Gryba on the 2 on 1. He's also got a rookie centerman and a new coach every half year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Being that there are 61 games left to play why are you getting lathered up about making up 5 points?

You know that the difference between 30th and 20th will be much larger than 5 points by season's end. The difference between30th and 25th will be around 5 points, but that's not a guarantee.

There are still many difficult games ahead for the Oilers. Very few patsies on the schedule for us to take advantage of.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I hear you...and I dont necessarily disagree.

Its just going to take some time. The team Chiarelli and McLellan inherited was broken.

Not just the team, but a lot of players were broken too. Eakins always said he needed to break everyone down and then rebuild them. Sadly for him he was great at breaking players but failed at building them up. At least the current coaches seem able to build guys up. There have been a lot of young players showing progress on this team. Just because the wins aren't there yet doesn't mean this is a hopeless lost cause. Everyone knew the D wasn't good enough and the team wasn't deep enough to be a realistic playoff team, so why are we *****ing so much about losing close games with a bunch of significant injuries in the first part of the season? This team should have a stronger finish to the year and with a good offseason by the GM perhaps then we will see a bigger jump in the standings. The D is relying on a rookie in Nurse and a young player in Klefbom, how did people expect consistent results from this team? The roster needs work but the fixes aren't easy to come by. GIve it timebecause I've seen enough from Mclellan to believe that he can turn these prospects into players and that will lead to success.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You know that the difference between 30th and 20th will be much larger than 5 points by season's end. The difference between30th and 25th will be around 5 points, but that's not a guarantee.

There are still many difficult games ahead for the Oilers. Very few patsies on the schedule for us to take advantage of.

Yes...the difference between 30th and 20th will likely be more than 5 points at the end of the season.

Thats exactly my point...the Oilers are improving and this isnt even close to the end of the season.

Last edited:

McDeathbyCheerios*

If you buy a fixer upper house that's in really bad shape, has potential but really bad shape, someone complaining that the house is garbage and its unacceptable that's its still garbage and you are not a good homeowner cause it sucks is ridiculous.

There is a lot of things to fix.

First, its how we are playing. That's been getting better.

Second, fixing easy mistakes...which is something that has been slowly ironed out.

Third, win close games.

If we were losing games and were the worst team in every state and getting blown out sure. But we aren't. We yes are worst in points. But we are top 10 in scoring, and not in last in a lot of stats. Statistically and visually we are not the worst team but some people just look at the points and cry.

For **** sakes we don't even have the least amount of actual ****ing wins.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes...the difference between 30th and 20th will likely be more than 5 points at the end of the season.

Thats exactly my point...the Oilers are improving and this even close to the end of the season.

Then start beating the good teams. It's not impossible but they need to do it. They've beaten at best two good teams this year and neither were in their conference.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Thats exactly my point...the Oilers are improving and this even close to the end of the season.
A short win streak and we could jump up to 20th. We could be by the end of December. That's how close it is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not just the team, but a lot of players were broken too. Eakins always said he needed to break everyone down and then rebuild them. Sadly for him he was great at breaking players but failed at building them up. At least the current coaches seem able to build guys up. There have been a lot of young players showing progress on this team. Just because the wins aren't there yet doesn't mean this is a hopeless lost cause. Everyone knew the D wasn't good enough and the team wasn't deep enough to be a realistic playoff team, so why are we *****ing so much about losing close games with a bunch of significant injuries in the first part of the season? This team should have a stronger finish to the year and with a good offseason by the GM perhaps then we will see a bigger jump in the standings. The D is relying on a rookie in Nurse and a young player in Klefbom, how did people expect consistent results from this team? The roster needs work but the fixes aren't easy to come by. GIve it timebecause I've seen enough from Mclellan to believe that he can turn these prospects into players and that will lead to success.

I am not an Eakins fan but I dont ever recall him saying he needed to break the players down and build them up. I think you are off the mark there.
That said...prior to McLellan's arrival this team had no system, little to no knowledge on how to win individual battles and the team had no identity.
You just dont fix all of those critical areas in 20 games.

Also...I agree with your points regarding the roster. Not enough experience especially in the top 4.

Like you though I believe that McLellan is the right man for the job....he just needs an appropriate amount of time.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I love that EDM is playing better and overall are more structured. But they really, really needs to start closing out games. 41 one goal games last year and this year what is it? 9? 10? This is getting stupidly silly. Pretty much any other team would have probably been able to win half of those and they'd be around .500. But not the Oil. :cry:

Much of that is because our bottom 6 is non existent. If they could chip in more regularly we probably win some of those close games.

Stainsy

Time to improve
Jun 21, 2005
Ont.
www.parkerhousemotel.com
I honestly thought last night was the most complete game I have seen all season. Not only did we keep with a team that is elite in the NHL, we had them frustrated. For some of you, that think that Washington took us lightly? Nope, no way Cap players are looking skyward, and slamming their sticks if they didn't want to win. That was a great game, all around. Did I want to win, hell yes. However, we didn't get blown out, and outshot and outchanced until the last five minutes of the game. For whatever reason, they found another gear to preserve that little lead, and we couldn't find a goal.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The thing I can never get my head around is that the Oilers get absolutely no breaks in comparison to other teams either. Tonight Calgary was up 2-0 on 4 shots in Anaheim and they pulled the goalie out already. That goalie would stand on his head against the Oilers, even if it was the backup and if the Oilers took the game to them.

Maybe you just have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good. No matter how good they are, they need to get some breaks (officiating included) to start going their way.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation

The thing is that the teams ahead of the Oilers aren't exactly lighting it up either.

It's always easier to make up ground when you're at the bottom of the standings.

McDeathbyCheerios*

My prediction - the Oilers win at least one of those two games.
Detroit isn't Detroit anymore. They are a team that so happens to have the same players.

Babcock was that team.

And we could be Pitts too. All depending on if we can break their trap style defense. Drai probably can at least.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Detroit isn't Detroit anymore. They are a team that so happens to have the same players.

Babcock was that team.

And we could be Pitts too. All depending on if we can break their trap style defense. Drai probably can at least.

I consider Detroit a must win now in this day and age. Other than Datsyuk I don't think much of that team. This is veering into a non playoff team. No way would the Wings be making the playoffs now in the WC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad