GDT: Capitals|vs|Rangers|Game 6|4:30pm|msg|5.12.2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The rangers head bobs in this series would make a _____ proud

I would love to see a ragheadsnap.gif compilation.

The bend and snap works every time.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
It's everything. It's not just having to play shorthanded for 10 minutes, which wears on the PKers. It's not just denying the #1 PP a few opportunities in close, low scoring games. It changes the game completely. At least part of their passive play is because they know everything will get called. Meanwhile the Rags keep diving because they know it works and they keep up the thuggery because they are allowed to. I thought OV was hurt last game until I realized he was just being mugged all game. When OT started, and the Rags feared a penalty, Alex started dominating. It's complete bull****. Totally illegitimate. It looked like Wash wanted to play a physical game today and then, boom, a 5-on-3 and they played soft the rest of the way. That not only hurts in this game but it has hurt the last four games and will have an impact in game 7. The refs have castrated the Caps playoff hockey style.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
it doesnt get talked about. the referees get scouting reports on the teams and they get direction from the referees directors. it appears to me that the nhl office wants the caps to stop doing something and the referees are looking for it and popping them everytime they approach that line. see a rangers head move and its a penalty.
meanwhile they know the rangers didnt take a lot of penalties and they are not looking with the same prep and the same eye.

how they can let dorsett run around is beyond me, though. he has to have a rep. one referee was right there in that corner and should have seen that slew foot.

between periods the refs conference on the phone or in person with their supervisor.
they are watching tv. they know tsn showed callahan elbowing hillen. still no caps pp? callahan just made the referees look bad and they werent looking for a reason to call a penalty on the rangers.

you would have to think the league liked the way the game was called

Agree. Remember watching a Red Wings game and Todd Bertuzzi got called on a very weak penalty and the announcer noted that referees give Bertuzzi no slack due to his reputation. Always felt that Alex Semin had a similar problem with referees for some reason.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If the Rags had gotten an extra minor at 20:00 I wonder if we would have been officially credited with a PP. Insult to injury.

I used to think those old Pens playoffs games where they would 10+ PPs after Lemieux would cry and complain, were bad.

We got shutout, twice tonight. Not sure I have ever seen that in a playoff game if ever.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
my view is that the caps can give the refs what they are looking for or show some discipline. green shouldnt have been retaliating. no power play for a slew foot is bad. giving 2 of the 6 remaining minutes back to the rangers and rewarding them for taking liberties is worse.

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
stars

If I am a ranger fan I would be totally embarrassed with the picking of the game stars. In three games there washington did not have one star in the games. Talk about homers and don't try and tell me we didn't have at least one player who deserved a star.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
If I am a ranger fan I would be totally embarrassed with the picking of the game stars. In three games there washington did not have one star in the games. Talk about homers and don't try and tell me we didn't have at least one player who deserved a star.

Not high on my list of worries

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Inability to score at even strength is a much bigger problem than the referees. The Rangers aren't a great team. This high priced offense has to muster a goal or two.

Rags were a better ES team than the Caps for most of the season, though. Was always a potential issue here...

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Personally i'm glad 52 bashed dorsett's teeth in. There i said it. Bad time to do it, yes, but i've been waiting a few seasons for someone to give dorsett what he had coming, AND i've been rooting for the Caps since 1974 and historically, we've had the other problem, we turn the other cheek and are pushed around. Further, for all the drivel about Caps needing to be more disciplined, let me play the devil's advocate for a second and ask, 'Why?' Rags have not made us pay AT ALL for taking liberties. Their PP % is around 8%.

Yes, all the PK time may tire out our killers and reduce TOI for our supposed snipers, but our snipers haven't been productive anyway, even at ES and in games where we're controlling the flow and pushing the pace.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Troy is right. we are screwed no matter what we do. We mind as well get our shots in since we will get penalized for it anyways.

Our top line guys out for ES aren't helping much anyways. They cant draw a PP either.

Maybe a shortie is in our future.

#PlayoffGrinders

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Top line can't draw a PP because they look like they have no fight in them. They don't get greasy. That 3rd line is playing well because they get dirty. They fight for the puck. They forecheck hard. Everything that is missing from the top line.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
My biggest issue is that games 1 and 2, the Caps were physical, and that physicality translated to a battered D and chances and wins. Evern since the penaltyfest, the physicality has waned significantly. The refs have neutered the team, and the "greasiness" simply isn't there. I have every confidence in game 7, but the whole tenor has evolved over the course of the series.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
The top line isn't scoring in large part because OV's shooting accuracy has been the pits. I don't care how hard he's playing, he's back to the fumbling OV who can't stick handle and who can't hit the broad side of a barn. Incidentally, did anyone watch this segment of NHL On The Fly? Freaking hilarious explaining how a 5-0 PP advantage is a curse.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Top line can't draw a PP because they look like they have no fight in them. They don't get greasy. That 3rd line is playing well because they get dirty. They fight for the puck. They forecheck hard. Everything that is missing from the top line.

They don't have much fight in them because if they even breath in the wrong direction, they're headed to the box. Ovi has always been labled a bull in the china shot, he tried to do that tonight to early but the minute the refs decide they're going to call EVERYTHING on the team you've gotta tone it back.

They aren't just cheating us in Power Plays, they're killing any momentum we develop with these ********* calls.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The top line isn't scoring in large part because OV's shooting accuracy has been the pits. I don't care how hard he's playing, he's back to the fumbling OV who can't stick handle and who can't hit the broad side of a barn. Incidentally, did anyone watch this segment of NHL On The Fly? Freaking hilarious explaining how a 5-0 PP advantage is a curse.

The number of professional apologists is gross. Watching scared men do bogus math to justify their
bosses is sad.

I'm watching the NHL become the WWE.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
The number of professional apologists is gross. Watching scared men do bogus math to justify their
bosses is sad.

I don't understand how someone can be so full of **** and try and sound sincere. I just don't get it.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Johansson did not have a good game. At least Ovechkin was buzzing around and creating chances. Caps are playing too cute. Shoot the puck on net and get in the dirty areas for the rebound and your gonna score on Henrik.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I feel like the top line sucking is forcing Ovechkin into bad habits.

Mojo and Nicky can't carry the puck so Ovi keeps trying to go 1 on 2/3 and losing the puck without generating a shot.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I feel like the top line sucking is forcing Ovechkin into bad habits.

Mojo and Nicky can't carry the puck so Ovi keeps trying to go 1 on 2/3 and losing the puck without generating a shot.

This.

Ovie's new game is predicated on utilizing his linemates. But they're sucking. He needs Ribs or MP and maybe Fehr for a few shifts.

Last edited:

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
bosses is sad.

Literally said those exact words as I got up and disgustingly walked away from my TV as the buzzer sounded.

WWE, NBA on Ice, whatever you want to call it.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Dec 4, 2002
Tallahassee, FL
Visit site

Backstrom literally makes no effort to get in a shooting position. Everyone on the ice knows he is going to skate with the puck as long as he is allowed before he tries to force it to Ovechkin. He has been doing it consistently since Game 2.

It's like those misses are haunting him and he is trying to not put himself in those positions again. I've never seen him play like this honestly and it's certainly killing Ovie. He is pretty much regressed back to come in, cut to the middle and shoot style Ovie again and that leaves the first line at 1 and done, which as we know, barely works in beating Lundqvist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad