Series Discussion: Capitals vs Islanders

Who Will Win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
THIS.

Why do fans still not understand this? He had a contract and chose not to honor it. Caps were kind enough to let him out of his legal obligations.

HE QUIT on his team.

IMO, the writing was on the wall that GMBM was grooming Reirden, and the contract situation was just a convenient way to move on from Trotz. He simply saw that he'd be out in a year, and forced their hand to make a commitment or let him start a new chapter.

If they really saw Trotz as a true Cup-level coach, there's no f***ing way they would've balked at coming to terms with him on a long term contract.

It's you and others that are trying to push a narrative here, I got no stake in this, lol. I was GLAD they moved on from Trotz, I just don't see a need to play the victim card here and act as though the Caps didn't want it to happen. And btw, I'm pretty confident the Caps' players see it exactly like this -- that if the Caps ownership wanted Trotz to stay, he would've stayed.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
IMO, the writing was on the wall that GMBM was grooming Reirden, and the contract situation was just a convenient way to move on from Trotz. He simply saw that he'd be out in a year, and forced their hand to make a commitment or let him start a new chapter.

If they really saw Trotz as a true Cup-level coach, there's no f***ing way they would've balked at coming to terms with him on a long term contract.

It's you and others are trying to push a narrative here, I got no stake in this, lol. I was GLAD they moved on from Trotz, I just don't see a need to play the victim card here and act as though the Caps didn't want it to happen. And btw, I'm pretty confident the Caps' players see it exactly like this -- that if the Caps ownership wanted Trotz to stay, he would've stayed.
I don’t have an agenda. I’m just tired of revisiting the topic with fans acting like the Caps got rid of him. They wanted him to come back and honor the automatic two year extension that kicked in after winning the cup. Any other narrative is BS.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Really hoping Fehervary gets consistent ice time this series. The defense is struggling to move the puck up ice, and his skating would be a lot more useful towards fixing that than either of Gudas or Siegenthaler.
Agree about the defense struggling to move the puck up ice. I thought Fehervary was decent at moving the puck.
About Siegenthaler, I like him in the defensive zone, killing penalties and blocking shots but he definitely struggles when it comes to moving the puck.
His game kind of reminds me of Alzner a few years ago.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

It's you and others that are trying to push a narrative here, I got no stake in this, lol. I was GLAD they moved on from Trotz, I just don't see a need to play the victim card here and act as though the Caps didn't want it to happen. And btw, I'm pretty confident the Caps' players see it exactly like this -- that if the Caps ownership wanted Trotz to stay, he would've stayed.
You asked why they'd care about playing Trotz. The answer is because he quit on them.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don’t have an agenda. I’m just tired of revisiting the topic with fans acting like the Caps got rid of him. They wanted him to come back and honor the automatic two year extension that kicked in after winning the cup. Any other narrative is BS.

Regardless, the original argument here was about how the players look at it, and whether they see it as Trotz quitting on them (hence extra motivation against the Isles). I'd wager good money that the answer to that is a definite "no" -- that they see Trotz pushing for a long term commitment, just like so many of them do using whatever leverage is available, and that the Caps' brass decided to go in a different direction.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
You asked why they'd care about playing Trotz. The answer is because he quit on them.

He would've "quit" if he refused to show up for training camp while under a legal obligation, or if he started to run practices with a bottle of scotch. None of that happened.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He would've "quit" if he refused to show up for training camp while under a legal obligation, or if he started to run practices with a bottle of scotch. None of that happened.
He literally resigned. That's quitting. But I guess you don't think they care that given the choice to stick with them or go coach a division rival, he chose the latter. Ok. I think they do.

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The writing WAS on the wall with Trotz and the Caps. He already told Tortorella in the first round that he was out.

That they kept winning made things really awkward for both sides, and perhaps forced a last minute effort to work something out which fell through.

Edit: actually trying to look for old articles about that Trotz-Tortorella exchange, and found that was just what Elliotte Friedman read from Trotz's lips and it blew up from there. Funny, I thought it was an actual report. Trotz denied it Game 1 against the Pens but who knows what is true. Don't mind me! Carry on!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...crutinized-conversation-with-john-tortorella/

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

Jun 15, 2007
Schedule is out. We are lucky, Game 1 is Wednesday. Lars should be back.

If Carlson isn't back then damn, the injury is serious.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
A potential back-to-back for G6/7 is less than ideal IMO. Not sure an older team can play the attrition game off the bat, particularly with a couple of their own more integral pieces sporting knocks.

This series may hinge on whether NYI takes their foot off the gas and sits back situationally or not. If they do, they're asking for it. If they don't there's a chance they could outpace the Caps. Chances are it'll be a long grind but 74/19 need to be pillars if they're got a run in them.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
He literally resigned. That's quitting. But I guess you don't think they care that given the choice to stick with them or go coach a division rival, he chose the latter. Ok. I think they do.

IMO, from a player perspective -- he left because the Caps didn't want to pay him like a SC coach, that's it. All the other stuff is for lawyers and agents.

If players' contracts allowed similar leverage plays, i.e. forcing your team to extend you or let you go, players would be doing it all the time. They aren't gonna blame Trotz for securing a nice payday that the Caps could've matched but didn't.

Reactions: Bananas

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Definitely concerned about the btb if the series goes 7. I'm in for 6, hoping it's the Caps with 4 Ws but have my doubts.

#3 Washington vs. #6 NY Islanders

Wednesday, Aug. 12 - 3 p.m. - NY Islanders at Washington (NBCSN, SN, TVAS)
Friday, Aug. 14 - 8 p.m. - NY Islanders at Washington (NBCSN, FX-CA, TVAS)
Sunday, Aug. 16 - 12 p.m. - Washington at NY Islanders (USA, SN360, TVAS)
Tuesday, Aug. 18 - 8 p.m. - Washington at NY Islanders (NBCSN)
*Thursday, Aug. 20 - TBD - NY Islanders at Washington (TBD)
*Saturday, Aug. 22 - TBD - Washington at NY Islanders (TBD)
*Sunday, Aug. 23 - TBD - NY Islanders at Washington (TBD)

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Definitely concerned about the btb if the series goes 7. I'm in for 6, hoping it's the Caps with 4 Ws but have my doubts.

#3 Washington vs. #6 NY Islanders

Wednesday, Aug. 12 - 3 p.m. - NY Islanders at Washington (NBCSN, SN, TVAS)
Friday, Aug. 14 - 8 p.m. - NY Islanders at Washington (NBCSN, FX-CA, TVAS)
Sunday, Aug. 16 - 12 p.m. - Washington at NY Islanders (USA, SN360, TVAS)
Tuesday, Aug. 18 - 8 p.m. - Washington at NY Islanders (NBCSN)
*Thursday, Aug. 20 - TBD - NY Islanders at Washington (TBD)
*Saturday, Aug. 22 - TBD - Washington at NY Islanders (TBD)
*Sunday, Aug. 23 - TBD - NY Islanders at Washington (TBD)

fwiw every series has a b2b, most of them are between games 3 and 4

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Caps 2-2-0, 14 GF 14 GA, 2/11 PP, 8/9 PK, 31.5 shots for 27.3 shots against, 55% faceoff % vs NYI this year.
If you take away that 5 goal 3rd period they’d be 0-3-0 out scored 13-8 the last 3 matchups.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Trotz relationship was more or less over before the Stanley Cup season even started. He wanted a contract extension going into 2017-18 and the Caps said they wanted to wait and see how the season went before committing, which probably left BT a little miffed. Then came all the reports that Trotz was going to get shitcanned after that dreadful road trip in the fall and he was close to being fired again in February before they went on a run at the TDL, which I’m sure didn’t feel great for Barry who probably spent the whole season wondering when the axe was going to drop.

Once he won the Cup he figured he had some leverage to negotiate a long-term contract and not feel like he felt that season again, which is understandable, but it’s also understandable that the Caps wanted him to commit to the clause that his own agent insisted be included in the contract.

Regardless, it was clear there was some frustration from Caps brass towards Barry for wasting the best roster in the NHL two years in a row and getting schooled by other coaches every year in the playoffs (reminder: he had never made it past the second round in two decades prior to the Cup) and it was clear that Barry didn’t feel his contributions were being valued enough, so I doubt there was much appetite from either side to relent from their original negotiating positions. The Caps did Barry a huge solid by letting him walk, and now let us never speak of this nonsense again.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
To be fair the round Robin ment nothing outside getting some games under the belt. Hope the win yesterday helped the confidance to go up.
Nothing against the Islanders but The Caps should be able to beat them.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
The Caps did Barry a huge solid by letting him walk, and now let us never speak of this nonsense again.

Unfortunately, the fallout between Trotz and the Caps is going to be cropping back up over and over again for the next week or two. Just the nature of the matchup and storyline. And that is definitely also what the media is going to latch on.

Last edited:

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I also like how the Caps are flying under the radar somewhat entering the playoffs. Just like the only time we've had success.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

He quit to the extent he rejected their contract offers, including the automatic option of renewal. In that sense he 'quit' his job, but only to the point of not agreeing to enter into a new obligation to stay on (as opposed to reneging on an existing promise). I haven't seen any reports anywhere that the clause triggered by the Cup win placed Trotz under an obligation or expectation to stay with the team for a further period of time, but rather that it gave him the contractual right to stay on if he wished.

It is clear that neither he, nor the team, considered the terms of that clause to be a fair reflection of his worth at that time, hence they attempted to negotiate a fresh contract, failed to do so, and they moved on. He didn't quit on the players, and he didn't quit in any usual workplace sense. I don't really see how that is any different to a UFA rejecting a contract renewal offer and joining another team, or if Todd Reirden had successfully interviewed for a HC position in a previous season and accepted it. Once Trotz was a free agent he owed no allegiance to the Caps and they know it. Frankly, if they thought they had a better option internally or replacing him was straightforward, they shouldn't be too worried about him coaching a rival team.

There also isn't evidence, I don't believe, that Trotz knew NYI was an option when he left the Caps, where the post I've quoted implies he actively chose to go to a rival instead of staying with the team. His immediate comments were about taking time off and maybe trying his hand at management rather than coaching. If he was expecting to get back into coaching immediately he'd have had no reason to guard his comments, because the more teams interested the higher his salary.

Trotz and GMBM saw things differently, wanted different things, and the Caps ultimately wouldn't give Trotz the coaching staff or money he expected. They parted ways. Not everything needs to be emotive, or about good guys and bad guys like some on here like to pretend. Was it the best decision of Trotz's life, or of the Caps' management? We won't know for a while yet.

Reactions: koalabear9301

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Have the capitals players that had to leave the bubble gone and back yet?
Only Eller had left (Hagelin's baby isn't due until September), and he's currently in the bubble but has to remain quarantined until he's tested negative each of four consecutive days while in the bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad