GDT: Capitals vs Flames 10:00 EST Zzzzz

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Fewest shots on goal against in the league. Kudos to Leonsis, Patrick, BMac, Trotz and Reirden. Excellent work.
Technically...Minnesota and St. Louis have given up fewer shots on a per game basis but, yeah, nice to have some semblance of defensive composure and discipline. Vancouver so far averages the second-most shots per game so an interesting matchup there.

Otherwise, they are what they are. They're a fairly sprawling team offensively and if it continues to get it done I'd guess they'll be comfortable keeping it that way. Trotz at least so far seems to get rewarded each time he switches up the lines. I didn't watch this game tremendously closely but I liked what I saw from Latta chirping the Flames and actually creating chances.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Technically...Minnesota and St. Louis have given up fewer shots on a per game basis but, yeah, nice to have some semblance of defensive composure and discipline. Vancouver so far averages the second-most shots per game so an interesting matchup there.

Otherwise, they are what they are. They're a fairly sprawling team offensively and if it continues to get it done I'd guess they'll be comfortable keeping it that way. Trotz at least so far seems to get rewarded each time he switches up the lines. I didn't watch this game tremendously closely but I liked what I saw from Latta chirping the Flames and actually creating chances.

I think we'll see the forwards getting more comfortable with the way things are now being done and that should result in even more offense and chemistry. I can't remember the last time we had a team that forechecked this aggressively with two men up. No other Caps roster in the post-Finals era other than maybe a few short bursts under BB could have pulled that off without stand-on-head goaltending because of the lack of defensive depth.

Notice how good the defense is as a whole, and how infrequently we're noting bad plays by our d-men. It's night and day.

GMGM's long-standing neglect of the need for two top quality defensemen on the roster stands out more than ever. GMBM deserves full marks for addressing this immediately.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Orpik had a monster game yesterday, that was such a great performance from him. I thought Bura looked very good as well, he's so much better in the defensive end than I would have ever imagined.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Otherwise, they are what they are.

They have 1 regulation loss. Their defense is great. their offensive players are all producing. the bottom 6 get broken up for not providing enough offense. and.....it is what it is.

I am thinking.....

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Eh, I'll wait to gulp the kool-aid after more measuring stick games. It's a solid start for their confidence and Trotz & Co. are no doubt a reassuring presence. They look like they'll be competitive at worst but I just don't trust the forward group to outsmart and outexecute higher-end teams offensively. Like I said, the next month will help gauge where they're at.

Montreal & NYR showed last year you maybe don't need an excellent group of forwards as long as structure/team D and goaltending are strong. This is seemingly their short-term route to success. Being first in the East in SA/G and GA/G so far is pretty awesome but, again, we're not even outside the first month of the season. It's a start filled with a lot of positives in areas not typically associated with the Caps but it's still just a start.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Do LA's forwards do anything special? I mean, they have solid forwards but both their Stanley Cup wins have come playing a very good structured hockey with good defense and goalie.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Los Angeles finished 25th overall in goals for last year. Some people don't realize that ther are two teams on the ice and expect perfection.

It's much easier to be pessimistic because there is only one team that can win the Cup and then you can say "I told you so".

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Eh, I'll wait to gulp the kool-aid after more measuring stick games. It's a solid start for their confidence and Trotz & Co. are no doubt a reassuring presence. They look like they'll be competitive at worst but I just don't trust the forward group to outsmart and outexecute higher-end teams offensively. Like I said, the next month will help gauge where they're at.

Montreal & NYR showed last year you maybe don't need an excellent group of forwards as long as structure/team D and goaltending are strong. This is seemingly their short-term route to success. Being first in the East in SA/G and GA/G so far is pretty awesome but, again, we're not even outside the first month of the season. It's a start filled with a lot of positives in areas not typically associated with the Caps but it's still just a start.

if it makes you feel better, it really doesn't matter how good they look until its the 3rd round of the playoffs because they are who they are.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Dream Big is correct to commend size of buckle.

txpd is wrong to question Fehr, unless it was sarcastic dig at Laich haters, in which okay, txpd has a point.

to me, Fehr is the more effective player right now, versus Laich or Brouwer, due to his shot, his reach, and his non-albatross effect on linemates. he deserves more than 1 game back on 1L b4 we move him yet again.

Kuzya is the one whose neutral-zone and D-zone decisions, and whose line chemistry, I sometimes question. But Burakovsky65 may be right; i may be looking for it too hard. He too deserves more than 1 game off the 4th line b4 we draw any conclusions.

txpd is absolutely right about tucking the jeans into boots. so wrong, but also quintessentially Ovie, in his own inimitable slightly clueless, fully knucklehead way.

Loved Latta last night. Haven't hated Beagle as much as i expected to during last two games. I appreciated the sneaky (non-jeans and boot) tuck attempt last night. And his wheels and effort are always appreciated. And now the rest of the lineup is a little more skilled, so his lack of basic playmaking and finishing don'l look as egregious.

My kid watched Ovie take the shot off his hand last night and correctly pointed out, 'Too bad it wasn't Stone Hands.'

8 looks hungry. Starting to get good looks. May break thru for 2 tallies tonite.

Carry on.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Do LA's forwards do anything special?
Yes? Justin Williams is almost as clutch as they come in the playoffs. That 70s line has carried them recently. Kopitar has produced to a greater extent when it matters compared to Backstrom. The other complimentary Kings forwards forecheck in a more vigorous fashion. That Kings team elevates their games to higher levels and that's the mark of a champion.

It's easier said than done to rely on defense and goaltending in the playoffs when the intensity level is progressively elevated. There's always a crucial interrelation between defense, structure and puck possession. The Kings have found that balance and the Caps, albeit promising early on with Trotz, are searching for that puck possession element a bit.

It's going to be fun to monitor that attempt and their development to establish that again on top of the defensive structure. That initial structure is a pretty solid foundation to begin with at least. To me their decision-making on the puck remains a bit frustrating to watch. That they do have the puck a lot more is in itself a good sign at any rate.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
It's going to be fun to monitor that attempt and their development to establish that again on top of the defensive structure. That initial structure is a pretty solid foundation to begin with at least. To me their decision-making on the puck remains a bit frustrating to watch. That they do have the puck a lot more is in itself a good sign at any rate.

Also it makes it easier to develop several rookies on the roster. Both confidence wise and offensive icetime wise.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't even expect the Caps' forwards IQ and quickness/grind-ability to ever get to the top of the pile. I don't think it really needs to, it just needs to get to a certain high enough level, and with decent defense+goaltending, it should be good enough to compete -- especially if Bura/Kuz/Wilson/Orlov can make a solid contribution before they become very expensive and/or before other Caps' big names begin to slow down.

The Caps IMO still have a lot of cap space that can be potentially redistributed better (Green/Laich/Erskine, and MJ/Brouwer/Ward can also be sacrificed under right circumstances), so they're still capable of major roster improvement with one or two fortunate moves.

So, life is pretty good now after the Dark Ages. It looks like they might be on the path to a fairly legit shot at the Cup, plus some great young players to watch. There will always be things that will drive me/others nuts about management/players, but I guess the Caps have done a pretty good job of lowering most people's expectations, lol.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
They have 1 regulation loss. Their defense is great. their offensive players are all producing. the bottom 6 get broken up for not providing enough offense. and.....it is what it is.

I am thinking.....

ha ha Love Eeyore. Haven't watched Winnie the Pooh in many years. What made you remember his gloomy pessimism?

Nice useful pot is one of my all time favourite Winnie stories. https://www.acc.umu.se/~coppelia/pooh/stories/ch6.html

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad