GDT: Capitals vs Flames 10:00 EST Zzzzz

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Orpik was excellent tonight. He was walloping people all over the place and creating turnovers.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I thought there was quite a bit of 'whoops' play from 92, honestly. I agree with the previous comment questioning his hockey IQ.

I thought Latta was excellent tonite. Orpik, too.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Should be much more interesting tomorrow in Vancouver. I'll be excited to see the Sedins in action. Ovi loves to play in Van so I'll be looking for a big game from him.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Not much Holtby talk with so much focus on the new toys in front of him. Good game by BH. Bura nasty as usual, Kuz with some great plays and some "whoops" plays. Orpik a monster. Ward coming out of nowhere as usual. Locker sloshed.

2 points.

I wish I watched the game on CSN today.

Burakovsky95*

I thought there was quite a bit of 'whoops' play from 92, honestly. I agree with the previous comment questioning his hockey IQ.

I thought Latta was excellent tonite. Orpik, too.

This is because you're looking for it.

He was fine.

bWo*

Really impressed with burakovsky, the guys unreal and was a treat to watch. You guys have no idea how silent the crowd became, my row was empty with 5 minutes left in the game lol

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Trotz just might be the best coach this team has picked up. Dude knows what he is doing. All lines looked good today, IMO. That 4th line was dominating in the 1st period.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
If Ovie doesn't play the PK then he shouldn't play with an empty net.

I disagree. 8 has proven very effective at getting the damn puck and scoring during 5-on-6. And that ends the game faster than an extended PK in our end with lots of shot blocks and great D.

Tonite was a perfect example; #20 might be better at PK, but he missed an empty net and thus let the Flames hang on.

Plus opposing D worry about 8 getting behind them during empty-net situation and it seems to make them less effective holding the blue line.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Tonight's game by Brouwer may have been the single worst performance by a top-6 forward in recent memory. My god, he was absolutely atrocious. Turnovers off the cycle, stupid penalties, slow all night, missed empty net... ugh.

Orpik was awesome though.

2 pts!

Last edited:

Malkin112*

Capitals look like completely different team with Trotz. was Oates really that bad?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Really good road win.

Not sure you can really have a non-"boring" game against a team like these Flames, unless you have players who are on fire, or you really open yourself up.

RaindanceMaggie

Sep 3, 2011
Vancouver
I thought we played a good game. Ovechkin played great on the defensive side of the puck and unfortunately had few offesnive chances, but he worked hard. Hope his hand is ok too. I think he has a broken bone in his hand though. Aside from the hit behind our net, I liked Orpik taking the body tonight.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
6d8145f0-5b99-11e4-b4f0-a11f6a7a2880_Ovi-Cowboy.jpg

Just saw this great picture of OV rocking the Western look. Got the cowboy boots, the hat and a decent sized silver buckle.:yo:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm proud of the guys and I had some doubts going into Calgary, especially after last year. They looked like a team that can go far and Orpik is worth every penny. I'm so glad changes were made over the summer.

Go Caps!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Calgary was 4-1-1 in their last 6. Great road win. Get one tonight in Vancouver and life will be good.

I'll put money on LOB and Bollig dropping the gloves at Verizon next week.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not a pretty win, but a win. Top six couldn't get much done. Capitals played some terrific neutral zone defense, though, and really limited Calgary.

didn't backstrom score a goal? isn't he in the top 6? i wonder a little about Fehr. He as put between Chimera and Ward to get them going. The result is that they where broken up. Then he was moved to the first line where Ov there are now slammed for not doing much.

were this Laich the board would be up in arms that he is trashing the team.

so....lets stick with the first line is fine.

Ov has not broken his hand. The idea that something like the best goal scorer of his generation could break his hand blocking a shot because people complain that he isn't enough of a two way player is just too rich for reality.

Trotz is awesome. Orpik and Niskanen appear now to have been exactly what Trotz and BMac said they wanted. Ive seen enough of Niskanen now to conclude that he isn't a flash in the pan and his quality of play from last season continues. Orpik is Orpik. How long that lasts into his contract remains the only issue that I have. Trotz and Reirden have really pumped Alzner's game up. Green is as dangerous as I have ever seen him.

Fewest shots on goal against in the league. Kudos to Leonsis, Patrick, BMac, Trotz and Reirden. Excellent work.

Lastly...Ov, you don't tuck the jeans into the boots.

Last edited by a moderator:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
that was probably bura's worst game, not that it was a bad game but he just wasn't as noticeable tonight. In general i thought the top 3 lines weren't very good tonight but our defense was excellent and that's what got us the win.

Bura only had a few hiccups and IMO played a good game overall, sometimes covering for the mistakes of his linemates.

He's once again displaying that subtle 2 steps/seconds ahead anticipation. He's making moves, passes and decisions that are correct and sometimes counter-intuitive probably 80 or 90% of the time. It's extremely impressive and I'm trying to think of another rookie that has come into the league and had that kind of savvy immediately. Maybe a more aggressive version of Backstrom.

He's very well coached and/or ridiculously talented and sharp.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Two things have this looking like a completely different Caps team (duh).

1. Coaching. Incredible how much of a difference it has made
2. Talent level. There is a lot more skill on this roster this year than past. Bura and a full season of Kuzy have injected life into the offensive lines. Add in the two solid free agent d-men and the back end looks better than ever. Assuming Holtby can hold down the fort (I have my doubts), this is going to be a very enjoyable season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad