Post-Game Talk: Capitals vs. Coyotes 11/2/14 7:00 PM Caps Lose 6-5

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think every top 6 and 4 players in the past 4 years, has tried to do the least amount of work possible, to win.

Playing for a contract, has been the most common exception. Carlson under Hunter IIRC, Green now, its like clockwork.

It seems the most difficult part of coaching is getting 100% effort out of your top paid players. #FatCatClub

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No, man, it's all great. We've grossly outplayed our opponents this season and just had bad puck luck. Trotz seems pretty thrilled with how the team is playing. The idea of trading out a guy with talent for another guy with talent (at a different position) is terrible. Carlson is gonna be super awesome and we should keep rolling with rookies and overpaid 4th liners in the top 6. Where does Orlov go? Or Carrick? Pffft, doesn't matter. Let's be super deep on Dmen and keep putting Troy Brouwer out in 4-on-3 situations. Or playing three wingers at center. Or praying Laich will return to his 2009 form. Yippee.

dk51FoO.gif

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I don't agree but lets stipulate that Green sucks at D. I saw the first 5 goals against. I didn't see those goals being on Green's head. His pk time was strong.
He was on the ice for one of those goals which was long range shot from the other side of the ice that the goalie got a clean look at.

So, why are we talking about Green?

I didn't bring him up... but since his name was mentioned, I just wanted to point out the obvious... and not based on 5 or even 50 goals against, but a career.

So, why are some bringing up players like Green?

Well, that's because they recognize that many of the pieces currently on the team do not fit the profile of a hardworking defensively responsible team, and they're sizing up moveable assets.

You didn't really think that all of that bad blood with Dale was all behind us, and all we needed to do was to get rid of Oates, did you?

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Do any of those players strike you as dumb as Carslon? Im just saying.

Something needs fixed with this nonsense. Holding onto players in hopes they can be fixed isn't really an option anymore. He can have more time to work on him...but I'm not seeing anything improving with him compared to Green so far. We'll see where it goes...but of all the dmen they have...he seems the most logical to ship out to help in other areas.

Profound! Great observation.

Oh, and there is absolutely no sarcasm there. That's the kind of stuff I look for.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I think because most haven't listened to the full presser. I watched CSN post-game and they cut out after maybe a minute of Trotz talking.

That quote depends on the context. Was he talking about rebuilding the system, the culture, or something similar? It doesn't necessarily mean the roster...though I do believe the new management is not going to sit on an inherited roster through thick and thin, or for very long if changes can be made.

As you know full-well Goon, the statement was honest, but must be veiled.

Tycoonheart (another whose posts I enjoy): Trotz cannot just come out and make these statements in the open... changes cost a ton of money.

Jim Bouton discusses team philosophy in his epic, Ball Four:

(to paraphrase) "Often, teams will analyze a bad situation, and choose to fire the Coach, even though the problem runs deeper. This is because it's easier, and cheaper, to fire a coach, instead of a team."

And I always loved Bouton's take on what he'd like to hear, just once:

"I'm still waiting for a GM who says, 'gee, that didn't work out... I guess I'm not as good as finding talent as I thought I was. I think I'll take a pay cut!'"

Trotz has to measure his words, but maybe, with his help, a few bad eggs can be moved, and the team can improve.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Ovechkin? Chimera is pretty dumb most of the time as far as skating really fast without accomplishing a great deal. Johansson maybe isn't dumb but he plays afraid much of the time (albeit less so this year).

To me Alzner has been pretty terrible also and naturally he doesn't bring the offense to make you overlook things. The thing about throwing both him and Carlson into shutdown roles so early on is that their mentality has been survival mode rather than all-around development. The players that most exemplify the 'do just enough to win' mentality are those two and Ovechkin and Backstrom.

Some of Carlson's passes this season have stuck in my mind. There was one a couple of games ago that was so glaringly bad that I felt compelled to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

AND... your last line seems to ring true.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Watched the first period live before getting a workout in. Guess that was fortuitous timing. Checking the score spared me the aggravation of watching the rest. I feel for those at the game or who watched it live.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I'm not feeling the move Carlson thing. Just too many other pieces that make more sense to move. Plus, Caps would need to decide first that they are keeping Green, because to lose both Carlson and Green would be.. a strange move.

Add to that the fact that for a lot of top-6 forwards, it's anybody's guess how the chemistry might work out. Erat, anyone?

I just think a decent crack at top-6 help should not require moving a Carlson -- a good GM should be able to figure out how to do it at lower cost.

They need to get Orlov back, see how he fits in with Trotz. Then, figure out overall strategy with d-men, first of all what to do with Green.. Even if somehow the eventual decision is that Carlson is the odd man out, I don't think it's time to make that decision yet.

I'm partial to Orlov, but objectively, he seems a more likely asset to try to package to revamp the forwards.. although I hope it won't come to that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Another "The Caps would have 10 more points with better goaltending" saga begins.

Hell, we've got people here saying Oates would still have a job if the goaltending was better.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think nobody knows the answer. What happened to Burakovsky?

Burakovsky got trucked in the first period only partially visable on tv and Joe B's home town programming had him neglect to mention it.

He apparently had to go thru the concussion protocol before returning.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hell, we've got people here saying Oates would still have a job if the goaltending was better.

well...to the extent that the goaltending was a disaster because Oates insisted on coaching the position.

I don't believe that Holtby is really a .899 sv% goalie. lets be honest. giving up the league's 4th lowest shots against per game, you would think they would win more games since scoring isn't an issue.

I expect better play out of holtby.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Trotz has obviously recognized who is hurting this team with his "behavior" line. So Im trying to figure out who he's referring to.

I would put it past a HC to make comments like this in am attempt to make a few guys take a look in the mirror, especially when also mentioning that new guys could be brought in, as a way of motivating people. Though of course it could be a lot more targeted than that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The coach gets one maybe two chances to scare players.

Then it's time for the GM to pull the string. Like i have said its many years overdue. Trading the coaches favorite player, is not who I am thinking is best moved this time around #Flash.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm not worried one bit about the three losses, however the loss at home to Arizona is embarrassing. I just hope they don't take Calgary lightly and learn from this skid. As stated before, this team needed a colon cleansing from years of junk.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm not worried one bit about the three losses, however the loss at home to Arizona is embarrassing. I just hope they don't take Calgary lightly and learn from this skid. As stated before, this team needed a colon cleansing from years of junk.

Through 2 periods the Caps outchanced and outshot Arizona (I think at least it was close). Despite having a 5-1 PP disparity. There were a couple questionable calls and at least 3 or 4 non calls that didn't go our way.

2 of Arizona's goals came on the PP and 1 RIGHT after another expired. The last 2 Peters gave up bad angle short side goals b/c he went down way too early.

All their chances came on the PP. Peters played especially bad.

It was one of those games where in this case a young ref cutting his teeth cost us along with our backup goalie.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
a smart GM signs a proven veteran goalie as a backup, a dumb one signs a redundant mediocre goalie from a terribad franchise. I have no idea why Peters has been considered by GMBM better than Grubie. Jose "ThreeOrMore" Theodore - where are you?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
a smart GM signs a proven veteran goalie as a backup, a dumb one signs a redundant mediocre goalie from a terribad franchise. I have no idea why Peters has been considered by GMBM better than Grubie. Jose "ThreeOrMore" Theodore - where are you?

Meh. The decision was a signal to Holtby that the job is his and he needs to sink or swim. Whether Holtby sinks with Peters behind him or any other goalie corpse off the scrap heap, we are screwed.

Of the things to give GMBM crap over, this is pretty low on the list.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
Meh. The decision was a signal to Holtby that the job is his and he needs to sink or swim. Whether Holtby sinks with Peters behind him or any other goalie corpse off the scrap heap, we are screwed.

Of the things to give GMBM crap over, this is pretty low on the list.

Wouldn't veteran signing be the same signal? Varly+Giguere was the perfect example last year.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Actually getting a bit sick of hypersensitive goalies who need their egos stroked and their jobs guaranteed. Compete and produce like everyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad