GDT: Capitals @ The Inglorious Basterds - 7PM MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sadly, that's not true. Neither he -- nor anyone else -- even has to be good to improve their goaltending.

At this point they'd be better off taking a chance with another Vitek-like goalie than continuing to roll out the genuine article.
They need to just let Schmid sink or swim, at least for the next little while.

He’s been in the dog house over the Islanders and last Capitals game, despite a good effort in St. Louis.

Meanwhile, Vitek plays a mediocre game in Colorado, which was obviously excused for both “Bad defense” and “On the road against one of the better teams in the league” and got yet another chance tonight, Schmid was supposed to sit for at least two weeks.

And you know if Vitek didn’t play like a worthless bum tonight then Schmid definitely wouldn’t have gotten the Winnipeg game; which would have meant 13-14 days between games. He would have gotten one of the back to back games late next week.

crashline

What smells like, brother?
Feb 10, 2018

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 3.45.13 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 3.45.13 pm.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Fitz has tried to upgrade the goaltending position all summer and he still is, he’s even said so himself often. He’s very aware that the goaltending tandem needs to be improved.
Yeah this is one of the few criticisms here I don’t get at all. Like do people not even pay attention to Fitz’s very public comments? Or the reality of the goaltending position…why do people think multiple teams are sniffing around the goalie market and why do they think nothing has happened anywhere despite the latter? It’s because there aren’t enough difference makers at the position so we have to try to manufacture them. It’s telling that a 38-year old backup is what’s cited as being ‘out there’ lol

And if you want to criticize him for not doing anything, again what goaltending moves actually happened this off-season that would have been worth paying for?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Goaltending isn't and was never going to be a quick or easy fix. It wasn't a problem last year until the playoffs, and unfortunately it seems to have followed them into this regular season. The inconsistent play in front of them certainly hasn't helped either.

For the people saying Fits needs to fix it, who is available that's a fix? Mid season goalie trades don't usually work out all that well given goalies need to adjust to new systems and personnel in front of them. At best you might get lucky and bring in a goalie who gets hot or doesn't have much tape that the opposition can exploit. I think that's why so often we see a guy come up, have a really good stretch, and then falter once teams get a look at their tendencies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Sadly, that's not true. Neither he -- nor anyone else -- even has to be good to improve their goaltending.

At this point they'd be better off taking a chance with another Vitek-like goalie than continuing to roll out the genuine article.

Sorry, I don't agree. Another Vitek type goalie will cost us too much because the other team knows we want a goalie badly even a not so great one.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
First of all, not all GAs are the fault of our goalies. Some are the fault of our defense.

Since we know we have weak goaltending and we can't find an acceptable replacement at this time it is the coach's job to play a better defensive system.

Ruff is supporting my position that he is not a great playoff coach and also Travis Green, as the associate coach, is not helping Ruff.

The defense must get better (tighter to help the weak goalie) or we keep losing. You keep losing you fire the coach. The associate coach replaces the HC, BAD BAD

I will stop now. Bad defense because Nico and Jack are out?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Goaltending isn't and was never going to be a quick or easy fix. It wasn't a problem last year until the playoffs, and unfortunately it seems to have followed them into this regular season. The inconsistent play in front of them certainly hasn't helped either.

For the people saying Fits needs to fix it, who is available that's a fix? Mid season goalie trades don't usually work out all that well given goalies need to adjust to new systems and personnel in front of them. At best you might get lucky and bring in a goalie who gets hot or doesn't have much tape that the opposition can exploit. I think that's why so often we see a guy come up, have a really good stretch, and then falter once teams get a look at their tendencies.

Honestly the only solution is one of these two find their game and get hot, or Daws comes back and somehow steals a job.

We know both goalies can play better then they have.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It must heavily believe that the goals given up should not have happened.
I was at the game and it felt like the Devils had better scoring chances in the 1st than the caps. The devils chances simply never made it to the net. So I can understand that deserve to win o meter. Caps were not that good and the Devils completely beat themselves

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
There’s **** all to address it with, Fitz was very transparent about wanting to improve the goaltending this off-season, still transparent now about wanting another option to keep Schmid in Utica, but there’s just nothing out there that’s a big improvement - the three or four elite guys in the NHL aren’t getting traded and the rest are overpaid dime a dozen guys that aren’t worth it. You’d just be paying for another Vitek-like guy and hoping he gets hot like first half Vitek last year

This is the voice of reason.

The team hasn't played well all season long and the goalie market is super thin bc there's a really limited number of superhuman folks out there.

For whom would you trade?

Learn how to play some defense and limit chances . We aren't going to win games 5-4 anymore with Jack and Nico out so even best case goalie scenario we are probably tied 2-2 in this game.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017

The meter’s all that was missing. We are so back babyyyyyyyy

They deserved shit last night. I'd still be pissed about the 1st 40 mins if they came back to force OT and if they did they probably lose in the SO to Kuznetsov and his lame move. Gross. You could through some skates on me and just give me a slight push and I could try the same bullshit.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It’s incredibly frustrating to see the team play down to their opponents’ level. They’ve shown many times this year how they can control play for prolonged stretches, but it’s been completely inconsistent.

Vitek shitting his pants so early still shouldn’t have tanked them given there was still so much time left in the game. They were flat, again, in the first and for much of the second. Even still, there was nothing the Capitals did to warrant them ending up with a 3-0 lead if we play more like we’re capable of playing.

We can’t afford to continue starting these games late.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad