GDT: Capitals @ The Inglorious Basterds - 7PM MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Most frustrating part for me of this game was the lack of energy and determination to make the decent play.

Lots of stick reaching instead of skating in 50/50 battles. Weird decisions when they had good chances. Whomever passed it wide from the slot. Not sure who that was didn't see replay.

No puck poise tonight. Pucks bouncing off blades. Jumpy as hell poise.

Somehow only turning the needle to 10 or 11 for last 12 mins of the game. Why the f*** it take so long.

Goaltending needs to be sharp from the puck drop. From my view I didn't see if that 2nd goal was tipped. MSG booth/ replay said it was.

Either way Vitek can't let shots in from that far out. Both looked like clones of each other.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Ripping the team for not trading for Helle when he didn’t get traded at all and his team signed him is just looking to complain. If he’d gotten traded that’d be one thing but you can’t trade for someone who wasn’t truly available.

But I’m sure it’ll be rational here when he shuts down our underachievers on offense next week until another useless too little too late surge
Hellebuyck also stinks this year, just as bad as our goalies

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Most frustrating part for me of this game was the lack of energy and determination to make the decent play.

Lots of stick reaching instead of skating in 50/50 battles. Weird decisions when they had good chances. Whomever passed it wide from the slot. Not sure who that was didn't see replay.

No puck poise tonight. Pucks bouncing off blades. Jumpy as hell poise.

Somehow only turning the needle to 10 or 11 for last 12 mins of the game. Why the f*** it take so long.

Goaltending needs to be sharp from the puck drop. From my view I didn't see if that 2nd goal was tipped. MSG booth/ replay said it was.

Either way Vitek can't let shots in from that far out. Both looked like clones of each other.
I get the feeling our players don't have a lot of confidence in Vitek. Tonight for example, has to be super deflating playing a fine game and getting two goals scored on you in the span of 20 seconds.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I get the feeling our players don't have a lot of confidence in Vitek. Tonight for example, has to be super deflating playing a fine game and getting two goals scored on you in the span of 20 seconds.
They were playing okay until his two goals, then they played like crap for Akira his first thirty five minutes and he stopped everything that wasn’t a 2-on-0

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

Was weak for sure. Bronx cheers early in the game. Our fans don't mess around it seems.

Also sense how important both Jack and Nico are. Hope they are back soon... All the guys on their would be lines don't look as good without them.

Was hoping a little more from Haula and a lot more from Palat during this stretch without Nico and Mercer.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
2 shots in the first period, talking about grinding their way through. How about the team shows some semblance of a pulse for more than 10 minutes lol
This has unfortunately been a thing for much of the year, even before the injuries.

We were outshot badly in the 1st by the Capitals in the first game. We got outshot badly by Arizona in the 1st. Same with Montreal and Detroit. We won a couple of those games, but we were badly outplayed in the 1st in them.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Both goals were bad, but the first was one timed. But Vitek was in position for it and just gets beat anyway.

I guess Ruff wasn’t gonna go off too hard since he’s the guy that seems like he can’t get enough of him. There was no need for him to be in tonight.

He's so not.

Goaltending is now a Code Red that Fitz has to address, stat.
There’s nobody that’s any good available.

Vitek isn’t good, but there’s 40 other goalies in the league just as not good.

Give Schmid a chance, because it’s either him, Vitek (who has sucked for 37 games) and then we’re down to Kallgren (horrible in Utica) and Kinkaid.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Both goals were bad, but the first was one timed. But Vitek was in position for it and just gets beat anyway.

I guess Ruff wasn’t gonna go off too hard since he’s the guy that seems like he can’t get enough of him. There was no need for him to be in tonight.

Give Schmid a chance, because it’s either him, Vitek (who has sucked for 37 games) and then we’re down to Kallgren (horrible in Utica) and Kinkaid.
What's up with the other Nico? Nico Daws.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He's so not.

Goaltending is now a Code Red that Fitz has to address, stat.
There’s **** all to address it with, Fitz was very transparent about wanting to improve the goaltending this off-season, still transparent now about wanting another option to keep Schmid in Utica, but there’s just nothing out there that’s a big improvement - the three or four elite guys in the NHL aren’t getting traded and the rest are overpaid dime a dozen guys that aren’t worth it. You’d just be paying for another Vitek-like guy and hoping he gets hot like first half Vitek last year

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The team isn’t really built to play a conservative grinding game to shelter the goalies and slow things down. They aren’t coached to play that way it seems which is fair given the roster. When it’s clicking it’s beautiful but when it isn’t….woof. I don’t like Ruff’s defensive system or letting the forwards cheat out of the zone whenever a defender seems to be getting a puck but I’m not sure there is much he can do about Vitek tonight. He’s supposed to be average not dismal.

Reactions: Maine Fan

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
There’s **** all to address it with, Fitz was very transparent about wanting to improve the goaltending this off-season, still transparent now about wanting another option to keep Schmid in Utica, but there’s just nothing out there that’s a big improvement - the three or four elite guys in the NHL aren’t getting traded and the rest are overpaid dime a dozen guys that aren’t worth it. You’d just be paying for another Vitek-like guy and hoping he gets hot like first half Vitek last year
There is really not.

With Jack and Nico out, points are at a premium. You know the Metro/East will be tight until the end.

Cannot afford to piss away points in net -- which is exactly what they are doing.

Whatever timeline Fitz had to address the issue has been compressed immensely, especially with teams like the Oil, Leafs, Sens, etc. who reportedly are sniffing around the available options because of their own pressing issues.

The world has changed, boys. Time to move is now.

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022

I wanted to take a shot on Halak weeks ago. But that ship has now sailed -- to CAR.

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
One final goaltending thought -- I would take whoever is the best netminder you can buy with Holtz. So done with him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One final goaltending thought -- I would take whoever is the best netminder you can buy with Holtz. So done with him.
We might be able to get another Vanecek type of goalie for him.

I.e. a goalie that isn’t very good and won’t help much.

What's up with the other Nico? Nico Daws.
Been injured and hasn’t played this year

I thought I saw he’s been skating though.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
1699677491366.png

1699677405069.png

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
It hasn't sailed anywhere. Halak is on a PTO. He is also 38. He is not going to improve the Devils' goaltending.
Sadly, that's not true. Neither he -- nor anyone else -- even has to be good to improve their goaltending.

We might be able to get another Vanecek type of goalie for him.

I.e. a goalie that isn’t very good and won’t help much.

Been injured and hasn’t played this year

I thought I saw he’s been skating though.
At this point they'd be better off taking a chance with another Vitek-like goalie than continuing to roll out the genuine article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad