GDT: Capitals @ Redwings March 16th, 2011 7:30pm

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Ugh. There's nothing I hate to see more than a great effort spoiled by a soft goal.

Oh well, build on the good things and come out strong in New Jersey.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Bummer than Neuvi had to come back in a trap game.. Like some others have said, Im not too happy with BB and his comments about looking for his #1.. Neuvi should be the #1 reguardless at this point.. And he should of been put back between the pipes the game after Tampa, if he was healthy.. Love Holtby to death, but he's not even green yet, he's still a bud!! Hoping Neuvi gets the nod on Friday and we wipp the Devils ass!!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't have a big problem with BB's treatment of the goalies, but I agree he should give Neuvy the start on Friday. That said, Neuvirth seemed to me to be a bit skittish with high shots tonight. Gotta get past that quick.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Bummer than Neuvi had to come back in a trap game.. Like some others have said, Im not too happy with BB and his comments about looking for his #1.. Neuvi should be the #1 reguardless at this point.. And he should of been put back between the pipes the game after Tampa, if he was healthy.. Love Holtby to death, but he's not even green yet, he's still a bud!! Hoping Neuvi gets the nod on Friday and we wipp the Devils ass!!

Since when is playing Detroit a 'trap game'?

Roccoman

Aug 9, 2005
Indiana
Caps looked pretty tired tonite... and Detroi! really exposed our lack of a reliable system / puck support on offense... lots of 50/50 puck turnovers and a general lack of cohesion.

meh. shake it off and move on.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Since when is playing Detroit a 'trap game'?

I'm thinking it meant the game as a whole was a trap. Second game in a back to back, players missing, Neuvirth needed to come back just a little stronger, or Bruce can justify playing Holtby again, since hey, Neuvirth lost.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I'm thinking it meant the game as a whole was a trap. Second game in a back to back, players missing, Neuvirth needed to come back just a little stronger, or Bruce can justify playing Holtby again, since hey, Neuvirth lost.

Isn't a 'trap game' playing an opponent you know you should beat after or before a game of significance.

Either way I'm guessing he simply meant it was almost expected we were going to lose.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think if we are playing DET in the SCF somehow we shouldn't book for the systems. Just spam that shakey goalie with shots till death.

On the other hand the chances for that SCF are very slim. I should forget.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Bruce can justify playing Holtby again, since hey, Neuvirth lost.

damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. if BB had played Holtby again, then everyone would have been up in arms about his insistence on playing same goalie till the guy loses, even when the guy is starting to look tired or unfocused, as Holtby did in Montreal.

here's a pet peeve of mine. Ovie's effort level when it comes to digging out puck when it's trapped along boards under 2 or more players. he seems to cruise by, make a cursory effort at digging it out, and then float on.

also, he was damn casual with the puck in our own end during the PP. (yesterday was same in Montreal; two very bad giveaways were fortunately nullified by Habs' offsides.) has it always been this way with #8?

mind you, he's my favorite guy on the team. seeing him score brightens my whole day. it's just that the passion and energy are so high sometimes, and then other times, like along the boards, not as much.

he made a nice pass to Semin, though, on the 2-on-1 in 3rd period. wish Semin would have fired the vaunted wrist shot then instead of yet another curl & drag.

Arnott can't come back soon enough for this Caps fan's taste.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
i thought Carlson played great, btw. looked for chances to join the offense, scored a nice goal, had a couple other good looks. just seemed to have a lot of energy.

really wish Noobs woulda buried the breakaway, but it's hard to complain. he came up huge in the two previous games.

as for Neuvy, yes, the 2nd Zetterberg goal was soft, but he made good saves elsewhere. he wasn't horrible. we were without a bunch of key guys, and did not play a super disciplined or spirited game. we were lucky it was so close.

NJD and PHI will not be easy games either. but at least we get some rest, esp. b/w Devils and Flyers. I'm hoping some of the wounded, whether Arnott, Nicky B, or Fehr, will rejoin us by PHI game on 3/22.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. if BB had played Holtby again, then everyone would have been up in arms about his insistence on playing same goalie till the guy loses, even when the guy is starting to look tired or unfocused, as Holtby did in Montreal.

here's a pet peeve of mine. Ovie's effort level when it comes to digging out puck when it's trapped along boards under 2 or more players. he seems to cruise by, make a cursory effort at digging it out, and then float on.

also, he was damn casual with the puck in our own end during the PP. (yesterday was same in Montreal; two very bad giveaways were fortunately nullified by Habs' offsides.) has it always been this way with #8?

mind you, he's my favorite guy on the team. seeing him score brightens my whole day. it's just that the passion and energy are so high sometimes, and then other times, like along the boards, not as much.

he made a nice pass to Semin, though, on the 2-on-1 in 3rd period. wish Semin would have fired the vaunted wrist shot then instead of yet another curl & drag.

Arnott can't come back soon enough for this Caps fan's taste.

I don't really think anyone whose opinion is worth anything would damn Boudreau for sitting Holtby and letting Neuvirth get the start against Jersey.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't really think anyone whose opinion is worth anything would damn Boudreau for sitting Holtby and letting Neuvirth get the start against Jersey.

i don't really care which one he plays. goaltending is least of my worries. we have 3 good goalies, and our GAA is way down since total operational failure of December. a soft goal every once in a while doesn't worry me. and one thing i love about Neuwirth is the control of rebounds. he is Velcro-like.

i just want some of these guys to come back -- Arnott, Backstrom, Green, Fehr. and i want the team to keep playing the disciplined, smart, composed, get-it-deep kind of game which helped them rack up 9 straight.

and i want a damn Stanley Cup, okay? that's all.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Yesterday our 3rd and 4th lines weren't much good. Outclassed as everybody said.

Tough to play DET on the road the day after another game.

Now the game with NJ will be interesting.

Vabeachblue

Dec 5, 2010
Va
we lost to a good team on the road after playing a game the night before without some of our best players by one goal. I think we are ok guys. Lets get the devils

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Jeez watching detroit, it's like they never change. If I were a hockey coach, I would try to emulate their game.

I cant believe Neuvy got plinked in the f'in head. Like Green coming back from a head injury, gets hit in the same spot.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
we lost to a good team on the road after playing a game the night before without some of our best players by one goal. I think we are ok guys. Lets get the devils

This loss doesn't bother me in the slightest. Detroit healthy, at home, hadn't played since Saturday. Caps back to back road games, missing some key players, having won 9 straight. Detroit barely escapes with a close win. No worries here. Had to lose one at some point.

Of course according to some though, we're doomed, have no system, the goalies are ruined. The sky is falling lol.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
*Give Neuvy the benefit of the doubt. He was going to be a little rusty and the opponent was outstanding.
*Give Zetterberg some credit, it was a pretty good shot, soft goal or not, most nhl players dont score that.
*Did I turn my head and miss Semin hit the crossbar near the end?
*Teams would find it hard to play Detroit style hockey. That takes a specific type of roster. Very European. RH, you? You like their style? No scrums after the whistle. Kronwall hits hard and the rest let him do that. They don't fight and Schultz would fit right in there. They are disciplined. No sore loser stuff. No frustration. No crosschecking around the net.

ColincampbellOscopy

Jan 15, 2009
if Neuvirth wants the #1 spot in the playoffs he is going to have to play better than he did last night......he played poorly, its that simple

You're 100, no 200, maybe even 300% right and I think most people predicted he wouldn't be on top of his game due to his time off. There were numbers posted on him earlier this year about how his numbers dip the more he gets rest, and how they greatly improve the more he takes the net. His numbers on the 2nd of a back to back are better than on the front end, for example.

The goalie rotation is the opposite of what you want to do if he's your guy.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Giving up 3 goals isnt the end of the world, but I thought Neuvy was rusty. Going into Detroit, did we really expect a win with the injuries and the back to back games?

I would have loved to steal a point, but oh well.

Next...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad