Confirmed with Link: Capitals Re-sign Dmitry Orlov (2 years, 2M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
So what do you guys think will happen when Orlov is healthy?

Orlov-Green as the bottom pairing?

I can only imagine that happens, with Schmidt being sent down (which would explain why he's being benched as he's close to the threshold that means he'd have to go through waivers) and Hillen as #7 D

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
Are you honestly serious?

You don't have to agree with me - it's just one persons opinion.

If you knowingly engage in risky behavior ( full contact hockey ) that could hamper/ruin your NHL team from reaching it's potential - then - there should be a penalty. You've damaged the organization/team by your behavior.

So play if you like but you if you get hurt there should be a penalty.

"That's the way everybody does it"----> should change. Just one persons opinion.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Hope I'm not double posting.......

Orlov risked his career by playing at home in Russia in the off-season.Playing with his pals back home was more important.

Does this reflect on how serious he takes his NHL career? I think so.

Trade him

dude, you're basically saying that NO ONE should live their normal lives outside of being owned by a sports team, that's not going to happen. If anything I'm glad he was playing hockey in the off season and staying in shape. Accidents happen.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
So what do you guys think will happen when Orlov is healthy?

Orlov-Green as the bottom pairing?

I can only imagine that happens, with Schmidt being sent down (which would explain why he's being benched as he's close to the threshold that means he'd have to go through waivers) and Hillen as #7 D

He will have to get in game shape, get fully healthy, and outperform Hillen and Schmidt in practice first.

Barring injury they will take their sweet time with him.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
saying that NO ONE should live their normal lives outside of being owned by a sports team

"Normal" life is playing for another hockey team whilst being paid million(s) by the NHL? Hockey clubs do not have unlimited picks for players or an unlimited ablilty to fill a void left by a player.

Staying in shape? ...... Let's see. A player out of shape or a player on IR....hmmmmm

Who pays for lost ticket sales if the team slumps? Who pays for lost advertising dollars?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
"Normal" life is playing for another hockey team whilst being paid million(s) by the NHL? Hockey clubs do not have unlimited picks for players or an unlimited ablilty to fill a void left by a player.

Staying in shape? ...... Let's see. A player out of shape or a player on IR....hmmmmm

Who pays for lost ticket sales if the team slumps? Who pays for lost advertising dollars?

I don't disagree with some of the principle ideas, and yes if it was professional or another contact sport or something along those lines, I'd agree. These types of things are collectively bargained, and the WC is not on the unapproved list of things to do.

Ticket sales? Advertising dollars?

Say it was OV and not Orlov. Say he tore his ACL or something else that would be career altering. Ticket sales and advertising dollars would absolutely go down.

This doesn't change the fact that the union and owners have already decided this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

In the context of the NHL? Yes, that's extremely normal for top tier players, in fact it's arguable that for a player to abstain from international play they're actually being an abnormal NHL player.

But that's neither here nor there, this thread is about Orlov. I would love to see the kid back this season, his hip checks are sorely missed. He had a beautiful way of neutering the oppositions attempt to transition into the offensive zone, I think he really would compliment this existing D core nicely.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
Say it was OV and not Orlov. Say he tore his ACL or something else that would be career altering. Ticket sales and advertising dollars would absolutely go down.

Certainly would.

-------------------------------------------------------------

And yes this thread is about Orlov.

Follow along..............

Orlov signed - Orlov sidelined by playing for foriegn hockey clubs- the topic of this post is questioned - > Orlov's signing and by default - his retention

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Certainly would.

-------------------------------------------------------------

And yes this thread is about Orlov.

Follow along..............

Orlov signed - Orlov sidelined by playing for foriegn hockey clubs- the topic of this post is questioned - > Orlov's signing and by default - his retention

Technically, this thread was about Orlov's contract extension, and was bumped regarding his injury after going quite a long time with no posts.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
Technically, this thread was about Orlov's contract extensio

Okie dokie...

It's almost impossible to keep any thread completey pure. :)

I don't have anything against Orlov one way or another. I just think it would be nice to see Trotz say " You risked your NHL career and lost. So we are going to pass on you - best of luck".

But that will never happen

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Ridiculous.

If the Caps (or any other team) only want players who will not play hockey outside of NHL, they should make it clear at contract signing, which I'm 99.X% certain they didn't. If on the other hand, you accept players playing for their country (like pretty much every club team in any sport anywhere in the world), then you live with the consequences.

So, really, take it up with Ted to make it team policy BEFORE new contracts are signed.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
Okie dokie...

It's almost impossible to keep any thread completey pure. :)

I don't have anything against Orlov one way or another. I just think it would be nice to see Trotz say " You risked your NHL career and lost. So we are going to pass on you - best of luck".

But that will never happen

So the Caps should say bye to Ovechkin, Backstrom, Johansson, Carlson, Ward, Laich, Brouwer, and countless other players who have "risked their NHL career" by playing in the World Championship?

:handclap:

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
So the Caps should say bye to Ovechkin, Backstrom, Johansson, Carlson, Ward, Laich, Brouwer, and countless other players who have "risked their NHL career" by playing in the World Championship?

The NHL can run the NHL any way they want.

My only question is who pays and what's the cost/benefit to everything related to hockey in N. America. Are the people who favor injury forgiveness the same people who write huge checks to hockey players on IR?

I just disagree with the policy. I think it's a bad risk/benefit.

You don't have to agree with me.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

My only question is who pays and what's the cost/benefit to everything related to hockey in N. America. Are the people who favor injury forgiveness the same people who write huge checks to hockey players on IR?

So we should cut all of the Olympic players correct? Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to drive cars? Walk up and down stairs? Shovel snow? Wipe front to back? Where do we draw the line?!?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

You do realize that the willingness to let their players play in these international tournaments that occur during the regular season, like the olympics, are collectively bargained. Also that the terms of the standard NHL players contract, also collectively bargained, allow players to play in international tournaments that occur after their NHL season ends.

If the league wanted to end these practices they could 100% stand on them in the next CBA negotiations but they would likely have to give some things up in return. Since they allow them you could say that they have already factored in the risk and potential cost into what they have gotten in return.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

I don't think you understand how much the Olympics and WJC mean to players and other countries, you eliminate the chance to play in those games you're losing a substantial chunk of European players who just decide to play in the KHL. I also think you potentially create a schism in North American hockey where players are forced to weigh the benefits of the Olympics vs the NHL.

Regardless this scenario does not end in a non-watered down NHL which is ironically what you're trying to avoid in your round about way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad