Confirmed with Link: Capitals Re-sign Dmitry Orlov (2 years, 2M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Looks good to me. Unlike most of the Caps' D corps, Orlov actually has a little snarl to his game. His physical play is underrated, IMO.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Orlov has so much untapped potential yet somehow seems lucky to even have a spot on this mess of a defense. George is such a dork we can actually credit Gandler for his roster spot / new contract.

I think he would hit much more but think Calle and Oates shun hitting completely. No surprise looking at how they both played. And I think he would be fine on a PP given a chance.

He gets burned on defense often, not unusual for an offensive kid, but I think part is never having a stay at homer to have his back, and the other is our system... that really does nothing more than try to.... I am not sure what. Nevermind.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Keep in mind the increase in salary cap raises all boats. Percentage of the cap wise this pretty good. Makes Schultz look even worse yet

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Good signing, not the deal of the century or anything, but locked up a promising young talent at a reasonable price. And IINM, he's still RFA at the end of this deal, right? Capgeek doesn't appear to be updated yet.

Now get him a real coach.

Last edited:

Apr 6, 2004
Bottom line, he needs a solid defensive coach and a vet to play with / learn from.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Both shocked and elated.

I thought he was gone after being treated the way he has. I have no doubt he would make a Matta like impact with a team that knew how to use Orlov. Hoping for big things out of the new Russians and might be why he signed.

Numbers are fair esp with cap going up. I could see a team tossing him an offer in that range...what's that a 3rd rounder in compensation. He's easily worth that.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Seems high to me for the first contract out of ELC like someone said compared to Alzner's 1.2 x 2.

Guess it helps to be Russian.

Or Fishman has softened.:naughty:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Alzner's previous 2yr deal was a steal and imo KA took a hometown/nice guy discount each time. Not really a benchmark for anything other than that. KA is currently on a 4 year extension worth $11.2M so Orlov projecting as a top 2 or top 4 is still below that.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Now if we could just pair him with a non-stoner partner, he might actually get on a positive development track.

Liberati0n*

Seems high to me for the first contract out of ELC like someone said compared to Alzner's 1.2 x 2.

Guess it helps to be Russian.

Or Fishman has softened.:naughty:

Fishman doesn't need to soften. He's always been a horrible negotiator.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think it needs to be considered that Orlov is done. From what I've read he can not grip his stick. That the use of his hand and wrist has not progressed beyond where it is and they are considering another surgery.

This is really not a good development.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
One of the guys I play with had a wrist injury that took two years to fully recover. Let's hope that's not the case for Orlov.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I think it needs to be considered that Orlov is done. From what I've read he can not grip his stick. That the use of his hand and wrist has not progressed beyond where it is and they are considering another surgery.

FWIW I read something on Twitter that Trotz stated they had began to do aggressive treatments, not sure what that entitles.

@alex_prewitt: Trotz said no further update on Orlov, but they've gotten "more aggressive" with treatment.

@alex_prewitt: More Trotz on Orlov, said if he's not getting better in a month, "we’ll probably have to go into something more drastic."

Yep, sounds like it's gonna be a long while to me.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009

I'm not sure what the best way to phrase this is, so I guess I'll try this. I will not discuss historical precedence.

What medical information did you use to reach the conclusion that he might be "done"? Has every single person who has had his type of injury permanently fail to regain the ability to grip a hockey stick? Is it over after 8 months and then the doctors just give up? Do you have any references I can look at?

Last edited by a moderator:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm not sure what the best way to phrase this is, so I guess I'll try this. For fear of infraction, I will not discuss historical precedence.

What medical information did you use to reach the conclusion that he might be "done"? Has every single person who has had his type of injury permanently fail to regain the ability to grip a hockey stick? Is it over after 8 months and then the doctors just give up? Do you have any references I can look at?

Well for certain we can all agree that this doesn't sound good...at all.

I suspect he will miss at least this year and anytime there is an injury that takes well over a year you can safely assume its serious and perhaps career threatening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad