Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Rangers | Game 5 | 7:00 PM | May 8, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
To win they've got to make plays. Simple as that. No use tightening up about the situation. That just makes it worse. Meet it and respond to it.

If they can't manage to win one of the next two games then this core seems pretty well tapped out. There's upside yet obviously when it comes to the rookies but this is the time that the real core has to step it up and lead the way.

They've played increasingly dangerous in relying on Holtby the way they have so this game ought to be a wake up call that anything can happen. Time to earn their way onward as a group.

Sep 19, 2008
This team, all playoffs, only has 2 wins away from home and one was in OT and the other one was a goal with 1.6 to go off a turnover. They just don't play well at MSG or Nassau.

They have to win Sunday because I don't trust them in a Game 7 in MSG.

After that Tavares goal in OT everyone freaked out but the Caps responded. If anything this team knows how to react well after a loss.

OVs Gold Chain*

They'll close it out in G6, just annoying that it even had to come to this

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
At least the game on Sunday is at night.

Frankly, if Ovechkin and Backstrom don't ****ing man-up on Sunday, it's over. Those two have had moments in this playoffs, but were not good at all tonight. Soft and lacking urgency. They were outplayed by 20 year old Burakovsky.

I'll believe that this team is different if they bring their A-game and win this series.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Stop blaming the damn refs. That doesn't advance us to the next round or put the cup in our hands

Jesus.

Just realize that we lost and we might lose the next 2 games okay?

It should have never gotten to this point.

The choke is in full effect

the refs ineptitude clearly screwed the Caps out of a very likely game win that advances them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Forget the offensive turtling for a moment. The defensive turtling is a problem. We are giving up the zone too easily and we are collapsing way too much. That goal was a direct result of everyone collapsing and giving up a wide open shot. You cannot possibly expect that our luck will continue indefinitely. Whule we have been all smug about keeping everything to the "outside" we have been extremely lucky that there were no deflections into our net.

Let's stop kidding ourselves, the Rags have more or less controlled the play for most of this series. No matter how it is sugar coated. Fantastic goaltending, timely blocks, and some luck have gotten us to a lead, Trotz is Piss poor at establishing an NHL level passing game, even though he is obviously good in other areas.

Sep 19, 2008
The ref call sucks but what sucks worse was blowing a 1-0 lead in a game you HAD with 2 minutes to go. If you don't allow any goals there the game is over. Over. The series is over.

I'm less mad at the refs and more mad that they had a chance to even tie it up. Lundqvist wasn't even off the ice fully. To see him celebrate at mid ice was sickening.

The problem is the offense and the damn turnovers and I'm sick and tired of it and it was happening in Game 4 too, they were lucky to win that one. Turnovers, bad starts to the game...it feels like this team shouldn't be up 3-2, but they are, so just take care of business Sunday and don't make it more dramatic than it already is.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I will say this. If the Caps can't win one of the next two or overcome a few semi bad calls, they weren't going to win it all anyway.
Semi bad? That goal doesn't matter when the Caps scored 2. Also sounds like there may have been a missed hand pass and/or goalie Interference, but was only listening on the radio at that point.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Semi bad? That goal doesn't matter when the Caps scored 2. Also sounds like there may have been a missed hand pass and/or goalie Interference, but was only listening on the radio at that point.

7 men on the ice during their first goal, mild goaltender interference on the one in OT, but more clearcut than Ward.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
As good as Holtby has been, he had to have that first goal. That's not a good scoring chance.

Ovechkin needs to score a damn goal. I don't care how good Lundqvist has been.

Glencross and Brouwer need to **** off. and Laich too.

OVs Gold Chain*

As good as Holtby has been, he had to have that first goal. That's not a good scoring chance.

Yeah not sure if you're aware of this but Glencross scored the only ****ing goal that counted in this game.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
You can't play flawless d every game. Time for the O to step up honestly. The rangers are scoring on deflections exclusively right now. Not that that will necessarily last. We need some ****ing offense or we're done. I'm OK with that tho. Score some goals or go home pretty fair and simple. The rags are in the same boat as us...

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

If you are counting on your goalie giving up ZERO bad goals in a series, you are in trouble. Again, it goes back to the way Trotz has designed this team's play. He has set us up to have one way to score, and one way only. Dump in and cycle. We are a God-awful passing team in general, and there is no need for that given the skill level of a few players. I understand his concentration on defensive responsibility, it's all good there. But again, I don't think that precludes a tad more sophisticated attack. For example, how many times have the Rags used that play where one guy enters the zone with speed and his teammate follows behind him for the drop pass. With us it is "everyone stay in one lone of skating until the pump is dumped in, then you may deviate". There is zero creativity.

Anyone who sees anything but the Rags living in our zone another 70% of the time Sunday night is deluding himself. I sure hope I'm wrong, but Trotz has some fatal coaching flaws in my eyes. I don't see us anything like the LA Kings.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Watching the Rags goal again, I'm flabbergasted how we repeatedly allow a Rag to receive a pass on our blue line and waltz in a good 15 feet. Either results in an easy drop pass or a pass back to a teammate near the blue line as with the game tying goal.

When was the last time you saw the Rags let us enter the zone with almost no resistance and allow the easy pass pack to the blue line? We were turtling, plain and simple. This game was Hunter hockey at its finest. Randy was 100% correct about that. A nice Kuz play doesn't change my perception of that play.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
We need to play much more physical next game....I was hoping we would play aggressive but no sat back and let the Rangers take our zone...we need 45 plus hits next game.

Holtby...hope he recovers...one of the greatest games I have seen from a goal tender in a long time.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
It just comes down to scoring goals.

With our forward lines - there's just not a lot of chemistry. Ward hasn't even assisted on an Ovi goal yet in 15 games on the first line when you count regular season too.... Chimera second line RW? That's a LOL. Third line has been alright, but Beagle is centering and he's not a scorer. Fourth line is getting 10 minutes a night so can't really count on that for offense either.

The lines are set up to stop the other team from scoring... however, it prevents us from scoring big time too. Trotz is picking these lines and believes 2-1 games are what we are best at winning at/gives us the best chance. That's the only think I can think of as to why a guy is still on Ovi's line who hasn't assisted on a Ovi goal yet for 15 games now.

Hopefully Caps keep this up and somehow/some way find ways to score. That's what will give them the series win.

Ovi and Backstrom need to cash in - and no more this 2nd PP unit BS that never works either. Ovi doesn't need to rest. He literally stands in one spot. Let him be there. Even if you don't pass it to him b/c he's tired - him just being over there opens up the PP so much more.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Yeah not sure if you're aware of this but Glencross scored the only ****ing goal that counted in this game.

I don't give a ****. Dude has been trash since the second week he was here, and a gifted breakaway is supposed to keep him from blame? Dude whiffs on every chance, turns over pucks like its his job, and otherwise does absolutely nothing to help the team. He blew the game.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
It just comes down to scoring goals.

With our forward lines - there's just not a lot of chemistry. Ward hasn't even assisted on an Ovi goal yet in 15 games on the first line when you count regular season too.... Chimera second line RW? That's a LOL. Third line has been alright, but Beagle is centering and he's not a scorer. Fourth line is getting 10 minutes a night so can't really count on that for offense either.

The lines are set up to stop the other team from scoring... however, it prevents us from scoring big time too. Trotz is picking these lines and believes 2-1 games are what we are best at winning at/gives us the best chance. That's the only think I can think of as to why a guy is still on Ovi's line who hasn't assisted on a Ovi goal yet for 15 games now.

Hopefully Caps keep this up and somehow/some way find ways to score. That's what will give them the series win.

Ovi and Backstrom need to cash in - and no more this 2nd PP unit BS that never works either. Ovi doesn't need to rest. He literally stands in one spot. Let him be there. Even if you don't pass it to him b/c he's tired - him just being over there opens up the PP so much more.

Trotz has no real selection at RW -- over the course of the season, Ward has fit in the best. You can try Bura, but right now Bura's line is probably the one that looks most alive, so you'd be breaking something good for a very uncertain outcome. If Trotz wants a jolt, he should break up Ovi and Backstrom, play maybe Ovi-Kuz, Backstrom-Bura..

But hey, I'm sure Green is gonna chip in a couple of goals any time now -- I heard that's what the Caps are paying him for. KEEP THE D, yes? Get ready to see more Chimera in the top-6 next year, since Holtby is gonna eat a nice chunk of the cap, and the rest shall be spent to keep the beloved D, if things go according to glorious plan :)

Anyway, I think the Caps are playing just about as well as they can at this point. They are keeping all games close, and Holtby + individual efforts give them a good chance. (Real) chemistry is gonna be next season's work.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Very disappointing loss. They were 1:41 away from advancing. I know the Refs weren't great but that's no excuse for the offensive ineptitude. They wasted 2 first period PPs when they could have really put the pressure on the Rangers. :(

I am still confident they'll win Game 6 at home. Ovie (All series baby?) and Backstrom need to step up and lead and end this series, though.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Watching the Rags goal again, I'm flabbergasted how we repeatedly allow a Rag to receive a pass on our blue line and waltz in a good 15 feet. Either results in an easy drop pass or a pass back to a teammate near the blue line as with the game tying goal.

When was the last time you saw the Rags let us enter the zone with almost no resistance and allow the easy pass pack to the blue line? We were turtling, plain and simple. This game was Hunter hockey at its finest. Randy was 100% correct about that. A nice Kuz play doesn't change my perception of that play.

I have been saying this for several games now: they are running pick plays at the blue line. It's a thing. Instead of the typical carried in puck with a trailer for a drop pass they have 2 guys hit the blue line at the same time and the man without the puck heads straight for the Cap defending the puckhandler. The guy with the puck makes a move based off of this that forces the defender to avoid the picking Ranger or be rubbed off the play. The other option is shooting with a screen.

That's how they're gaining the zone so easily and either getting bad sort-outs from the Caps D or a screen for a shot. Don't recall if it happened on that particular play but it has been happening way too much and is often clear interference.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe the Caps are just wearing down. The physical investment hasn't really been there compared to the Islanders series and it was in Game 5 of that series that the Islanders slipped. Hopefully that doesn't ultimately wind up being the case with the Caps. Not that this game was as decisive but territorially and from an overall possession standpoint this seemed like their worst game. They were openly relying on Holtby stealing it and just finding some way to win rather than go for it.

When it comes to possession there seems to be a 'fix it' approach and a lot left to individual freelancing beyond their very simplistic responsible structure. It's why there's ultimately so little cohesion. If the organization is going to take such a hands off approach to possession habits when they actually have the puck then they can't in good faith not change the players if their possession game ends up costing them.

Trotz says they haven't seen their best effort yet and they haven't but there's also a lot of longstanding poor execution that should come as no surprise to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad