Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Rangers | Game 5 | 7:00 PM | May 8, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
We've been waiting for their best for a long time. I remember watching Troy Brouwer on TV during the Capitals report at the arena and even he said they weren't playing that well. This team has not been playing their best, they keep getting outshot, but they somehow managed to get a 3-1 series lead.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It never ceases to amaze me at how easily our opponents complete long crisp diagonal passes and break into our zone at full speed.

Yet we are often fighting tooth and nail to tip at center to avoid icing. Or if we do enter with speed, we dump and rarely even attempt a simple scoring play. Short pass one timers are completely absent, like on the rangers first goal. A simple play we don't really even try.

The hitting has largely gone. The series has shifted to a try and hold on desperately to a one goal lead approach. If a goalie can pull it off to steal a series or 2, its almost never sustainable enough to win a cup.

Barry needs to Bruce a bit more and stop Daling so much. Our one dimensional PP is laughable now that defending it has adjusted.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Jonathan Quick -patented move from Henrik Lundqvist on the Ward incident. Come out aggressively outside the crease and initiate the contact with the big body standing in front of you. The refs get fooled by that so many times because they are mainly looking to whether the player is obviously pushed and in the cases where goalie come aggressively out, you only need that small push and the refs waive the goal off because they aren't 100% certain.

Tough call but you still can't lose that lead with less than 2 minutes remaining.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I wonder what this team would have looked like with Laviolette coaching it, I'm beginning to feel that Trotz is literally just Dale Hunter.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I think they will win at home on Sunday.

BUT, if they manage to lose this series when they were only a minute away from getting to the ECF, this group of players will have redefined the term 'choking dogs'.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I wonder what this team would have looked like with Laviolette coaching it, I'm beginning to feel that Trotz is literally just Dale Hunter.

Eh? They played a completely different style against the Isles. What he is doing is obviously working, we came close to moving on last night. Not the time to change strategy. I'm guessing we will see a different style against Habs/Bots if we were to advance.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
The Caps need to play with the puck more. They need to play a game where they are out playing the rangers in more than just spurts in order to take the series.

The tying goal deflected off someone's skate, I think Holtby was partially screened. You can't blame him for that goal. I think he has had a historic performance in this series. He is making insanely difficult save look easy multiple times in a row. I've never seen him track the puck and make reads like this before.

Its crazy to watch, watched Game 5 last night with one of my buddies who is Caps fan and he couldn't believe it either, even though he has watched nearly every game this year.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
We've been waiting for their best for a long time. I remember watching Troy Brouwer on TV during the Capitals report at the arena and even he said they weren't playing that well. This team has not been playing their best, they keep getting outshot, but they somehow managed to get a 3-1 series lead.

They play their best when their backs are against the wall. Its why they dominated game 2, 5 and 7 against the Isles. I almost want to say they needed that loss last night to wake 'em up, sad as that may sound.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Just win tomorrow please. This has to stop.

Our seasons ending at the 2nd round has to come to an end, right?

I can't take much more of this

Underpants2

Mar 18, 2013
Boulder, CO
Ovechkin and Backstrom have pulled a disappearing act since game 2. If we lose this series, it is 100% on them. Holtby can't do anymore than he has already done.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Re-watched the Joel Ward call and I don't see it. Dont think Ward had a skate in the crease and Lundqvist initiated contact.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
@G3

Seriously, you have at least 10 doom and gloom posts since 11:00 last night. Go enjoy some time outside this weekend.

It's raining where I'm at lol.

Seriously though, this game really agitated me because it's such a typical Cap thing to do.

Reminded me so much of the game where Ward took the high stick penalty. These games take a lot out of you and can give momentum to the other team

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Maybe the Caps are just wearing down. The physical investment hasn't really been there compared to the Islanders series and it was in Game 5 of that series that the Islanders slipped. Hopefully that doesn't ultimately wind up being the case with the Caps. Not that this game was as decisive but territorially and from an overall possession standpoint this seemed like their worst game. They were openly relying on Holtby stealing it and just finding some way to win rather than go for it.

When it comes to possession there seems to be a 'fix it' approach and a lot left to individual freelancing beyond their very simplistic responsible structure. It's why there's ultimately so little cohesion. If the organization is going to take such a hands off approach to possession habits when they actually have the puck then they can't in good faith not change the players if their possession game ends up costing them.

Trotz says they haven't seen their best effort yet and they haven't but there's also a lot of longstanding poor execution that should come as no surprise to him.

The whole thing is self-perpetuating. Little offensive execution, sporadic forechecking pressure, no pressure in the neutral zone or at the blue line, Rags walk in and we chase pucks and block shots for 2 minutes at a time, we clear the zone and if we have possession we need a line change so we dump it in and forecheck with perhaps one guy, fatigue sets in, rinse and repeat.

The comparisons to the LA Kings style of play is laughable. The Kings were tough, yes, but they were also a much much better possession team. Even their less skilled players knew how to complete and handle a pass. I cannot remember a team in recent years with such poor passing win a Stanley Cup. Even Montreal in 2010 didn't get to the finals.

As for the defensive posture, that last goal was classic. There was no pick set. Long before the Ranger enters the zone with the picked off pass from Glencross, Gleason is back peddling. There must have been a good 10 feet of space he gave the Ranger. In the meantime, Glencross has a direct line to check the Ranger but instead plays in no-man's land, presumably to stop a pass. Either Glencross should have covered the 2nd Ranger, allowing Green to cover the 3rd, or Glencross hits the 1st Ranger and Gleason switches to cover the second guy in. This was the story of much of the game, except that we were blind lucky to survive it.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3478%3A%3Enu%3D3238%3E676%3E663%3EWSNRCG%3D376568473233%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3B%3B78%3Enu%3D3238%3E676%3E663%3EWSNRCG%3D376567%3B27%3A33%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3577%3B%3Enu%3D3238%3E676%3E663%3EWSNRCG%3D376568473333%3Anu0mrj

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Well the refs took a goal away on a blown call and failed to waive off the GWG that was actual goaltender interference.

It wasn't a choke job. Even the goals the Rangers "scored" were lucky deflections.

Once the Caps got the lead they went into a defensive shell instead of playing their regular game which got them to this point. That is on them.

We'll see how it goes, but if you're 2 minutes away from closing out a series and then lose three straight games, that is a choke job no matter how you slice it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This team, all playoffs, only has 2 wins away from home and one was in OT and the other one was a goal with 1.6 to go off a turnover. They just don't play well at MSG or Nassau.

They have to win Sunday because I don't trust them in a Game 7 in MSG.

After that Tavares goal in OT everyone freaked out but the Caps responded. If anything this team knows how to react well after a loss.

100% correct...And not to mention the rangers will have all the momentum on their side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot