Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Rangers 3/24/13

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Every center played better than Richards last night.

I'd like to see him benched to kick him in the ass. Show him that everyone is accountable for being better. No matter how much you're paid. No matter how much you're needed. You play like **** you sit. What's the worst that happens, we lose a game?

You do realize that you're basing the play of 3rd and 4th line centers off of minimal ice time, correct? What, are we going to insert Noob into his 19 minutes of playing time and expect anything more than a cringe-worthy performance?

I don't think you realize that we simply don't have the depth to bench or scratch Richards right now. It's unfortunate, but Kreider has not stepped up, Miller is simply not ready for the minutes, and the rest of the centers other than Stepan are all black holes.

16 To Stanley*

You do realize that you're basing the play of 3rd and 4th line centers off of minimal ice time, correct? What, are we going to insert Noob into his 19 minutes of playing time and expect anything more than a cringe-worthy performance?

I don't think you realize that we simply don't have the depth to bench or scratch Richards right now. It's unfortunate, but Kreider has not stepped up, Miller is simply not ready for the minutes, and the rest of the centers other than Stepan are all black holes.

I'm not saying we have someone, but you know what, we're playing terrible right now. He deserves to sit. He's been absolutely dreadful and the worst part is, he doesn't look like he gives a ****. I'm not saying bench him for a weeks worth of games, I'm saying he should be given a kick in the ass.

I'm sick of watching him for 20 minutes a night and doing nothing but kill any offensive prowess. I completely understand what you're saying. We don't have anyone to take over, but you suck it up, give Miller 2nd line minutes or something and you take a hit for the night while sending a message to Richards.

Look, i know they won't do it. Dolan wants the playoff revenue. Torts disgusting quote after last nights game "we need points and we got one" proves how he is feeling in regards to scraping for points.

16 To Stanley*

Gotta love the irony in people essentially complaining that Boyle didn't take Richards' ice-time last night.

I'm for sending a message, not giving Brian ****ing Boyle 20 minutes a night. And for what it's worth, Boyle has been better than Richards for the last handful of games and he's been pretty ****** as well.

I'm not for putting Richards on waivers. I'm for putting him in the press box and sending a message.

Sometimes you have to bite a bullet.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
What's the worst that will happen if Beaver sits for a game? We lose a game? Maybe. We've done plenty of that already. If it wakes him up and he plays like he did in the last part of the season last year, isn't that a good thing? Richards is not doing anything positive out there. Kills all offense, constant turnovers from his patented "no look, behind the back" passes. Does he make the powerplay any better? Defensive game is a train-wreck anyway. I would be all in favor of sitting him when Miller is back. It's for 1 game.

16 To Stanley*

What's the worst that will happen if Beaver sits for a game? We lose a game? Maybe. We've done plenty of that already. If it wakes him up and he plays like he did in the last part of the season last year, isn't that a good thing? Richards is not doing anything positive out there. Kills all offense, constant turnovers from his patented "no look, behind the back" passes. Does he make the powerplay any better? Defensive game is a train-wreck anyway. I would be all in favor of sitting him when Miller is back. It's for 1 game.

Thanks. It's about sending a message, it's not about benching Richards for Newbury.

I can live with losing for one game if it makes Richards realize his effort and production level are unacceptable.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm for sending a message, not giving Brian ****ing Boyle 20 minutes a night. And for what it's worth, Boyle has been better than Richards for the last handful of games and he's been pretty ****** as well.

I'm not for putting Richards on waivers. I'm for putting him in the press box and sending a message.

Sometimes you have to bite a bullet.

What's the message? We're going to play Boyle over you and give ourselves a better chance to lose? There's a reason your best forwards don't find themselves in the press box. They're incredibly difficult to replace. Boyle could be replaced by Miller, so benching him makes sense. Who is going to realistically threaten Richards' spot in the lineup? Nobody. We're trying to make the playoffs and Boyle, Miller and Newburry aren't realistic options.

Unless you have a guy knocking on the door to take a guy's spot, benching someone just says, "Hey, I'll make the team ****tier at your expense." It's a public shaming and it's ridiculous.

16 To Stanley*

What's the message? We're going to play Boyle over you and give ourselves a better chance to lose? There's a reason your best forwards don't find themselves in the press box. They're incredibly difficult to replace. Boyle could be replaced by Miller, so benching him makes sense. Who is going to realistically threaten Richards' spot in the lineup? Nobody. We're trying to make the playoffs and Boyle, Miller and Newburry aren't realistic options.

Unless you have a guy knocking on the door to take a guy's spot, benching someone just says, "Hey, I'll make the team ****tier at your expense." It's a public shaming and it's ridiculous.

Sometimes guys need a wake up call, even your best players. But i guess we should just keep trotting him out there and hope we land in 8th place.

Pugs35

Jul 11, 2006
PA
If Richards were in fact benched, you guys would kill Torts for trying to get attention and hurting the team. This actually did happen when he was benched for that period. There is no win with you guys. You'll just hate and hate and hate until you find someone else to hate.

16 To Stanley*

If Richards were in fact benched, you guys would kill Torts for trying to get attention and hurting the team. This actually did happen when he was benched for that period. There is no win with you guys. You'll just hate and hate and hate until you find someone else to hate.

What are you talking about, that's ridiculous. What's the worst that happens, the team loses? We lost to the ****ing panthers and capitals. Two ****** teams.

I'm all for wake up calls and Richards needs one. He won't get one, but he needs one.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Sometimes guys need a wake up call, even your best players. But i guess we should just keep trotting him out there and hope we land in 8th place.

Yeah. Let's put the team in a precarious position just so we can bench our star center. Makes perfect sense.

You want blood and you're willing to put the team in a position to lose in order to justify your disdain for Richards' and his play. That's something fans want, but thankfully the people in charge never do.

Pugs35

Jul 11, 2006
PA
What are you talking about, that's ridiculous. What's the worst that happens, the team loses? We lost to the ****ing panthers and capitals. Two ****** teams.

I'm all for wake up calls and Richards needs one. He won't get one, but he needs one.

The perfect example is when Torts had Jokinen take the final shoot-out attempt over Gaborik in Philly in 2010 (I think?). Gaborik was terrible in the shoot-out that year all season, and people killed Tortorella (and still do) for not going with his best player.

Today, he's getting killed for riding his best players and hoping they'll become what they were meant to be. When you pay 3 players an ungodly amount of money you have no choice but to live or die by them.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Bingo. There is literally no way to win with some people.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Yeah. Let's put the team in a precarious position just so we can bench our star center. Makes perfect sense.

You want blood and you're willing to put the team in a position to lose in order to justify your disdain for Richards' and his play. That's something fans want, but thankfully the people in charge never do.

Answer this: Are you happy with Richards' play this season? Does his play match his cap hit, or his TOI? Does he look like the 1C we thought we were getting in July 2011? If you're happy, then great.

If not, what do you propose we do to raise his level of play to where it's supposed to be?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Exactly. I would question Torts a hell of a lot more for doing that than I do for playing Richards.

I mean, maybe it will somehow come to that. But we'd need more offensive contributions from other players to force his hand. I don't see us getting that.

16 To Stanley*

Sometimes there aren't answers to problems, but rather justifications. Maybe a kick in the ass will get Richards going. If that happens, the team will be better off than losing a single game because we decided to bench him.

I understand what you're saying, but the team is being put in a precarious position as it is with his level of effort and production.

I don't want blood, I don't hate Richards, I hate how hes been playing this year and specifically the last stretch of games.

We are running low on time. We are running low on games. Something needs to change. Players need to wake up. Maybe Richards will, but he hasn't done anything to show that his play is changing.

Sure, we don't have a replacement for him. I'm not saying dump him for pucks, we need him to be productive for us to succeed.

Garv23

Jan 27, 2007
Rockland, NY
How does anyone behind their TV's and computer screens know that a player "looks like he doesn't give a ****?" hahaha this place is comical. If anything the guy probably gives too much of a **** and it's weighing him down. Nobody is happy with how Richards is playing right now, but there's no doubt that he's even less happy about it.

And grow up with the 'beaver' stuff for God's sake. Are you guys 12?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Answer this: Are you happy with Richards' play this season? Does his play match his cap hit, or his TOI? Does he look like the 1C we thought we were getting in July 2011? If you're happy, then great.

If not, what do you propose we do to raise his level of play to where it's supposed to be?

No one is happy with his play.

But you fail to see the point. We currently have no one to replace Richards with.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

For starters, you're really asking the wrong guy. I had questions about his ability to remain a #1C even before we acquired him. So naturally I'm not pleased with his performance.

I'd re-unite the Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik line. The only time Richards has looked remotely good in his tenure here has been when he was playing with those guys. Richards is too slow to retrieve the puck, and Hagelin can do that for him. Nash gets the puck and wants to score. Hagelin is willing to give it up once he retrieved it.

If that doesn't work, then you're likely going to have to assume he's done. He's shown no chemistry with other players, and is slow and outmatched in the corners. Try your damnedest to add a viable scoring center option that can relegate Richards to the 3rd line if you think the post-season is still in the cards. Craig Smith or Paul Stastny. Guys who might be expendable and could use a change of scenery but are younger and can remain with the team beyond this year. If not, re-evaluate in the summer and take your medicine.

Pugs35

Jul 11, 2006
PA
How does anyone behind their TV's and computer screens know that a player "looks like he doesn't give a ****?" hahaha this place is comical. If anything the guy probably gives too much of a **** and it's weighing him down. Nobody is happy with how Richards is playing right now, but there's no doubt that he's even less happy about it.

Exactly this. And yeah, it seems like most of this board is 12 - 16 years old and it's getting unbearable.

16 To Stanley*

I can only go off what i see. I don't see him changing anything about his game. I don't see him leaving a significant effort on the ice.

And Beaver has become his nickname on these boards. He's basically been called it for over a year. Get a grip.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
The period Richards was benched was the happiest I've ever seen a game thread. Nobody killed Torts. It was like Christmas. People were nice to each other. I helped a homeless guy the next day. The world was good.

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
Who else is actually going to play better than Brad Richards right now in the spots that he gets? The fact of the matter is this team hinged it's secondary scoring on Kreider. So far, that has not worked out well for us. Has Richards been a disappointment? Absolutely. But who are we benching him for? You really want to see more of Boyle?

:nod: And there is the big problem right there. Just like Larry Brooks wrote today it has become the black hole...or I should say Richards has become the black who because whoever his wingers are they fall into oblivion. Albeit I must say Kreider looked pretty good last night. Hope he continues getting more ice time...HOW ABOUT A DAMN SHIFT IN OT TORTS?
Boyle is much of the same if not worst than Richards. Put him with skilled wingers and goodbye to their production.
I guess Mr. Sather should be blamed a bit in this case??? I mean 13 years and he hasnt saved us yet from mediocrity? WHat? :sarcasm:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Completely agreed, again. He is just not a good coach. He rode a Vezina season from Hank to the 1st seed on the East, and then this team proceeded to score even less goals in the playoffs. I think they scored more than 3 goals only once, and that was in Game 1 vs. Ottawa. Motivation will only get you so far. Tactics will always win. And after that, it will just be harder to motivate your players again.

Since you say Torts is a bad coach, please list the good ones. Whoever you name will have a long list of fans telling us that he is an idiot.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
No one is happy with his play.

But you fail to see the point. We currently have no one to replace Richards with.
It will be for ONE GAME. No one is saying "Put Brian Boyle on the 1st line forever."
For starters, you're really asking the wrong guy. I had questions about his ability to remain a #1C even before we acquired him. So naturally I'm not pleased with his performance.

I'd re-unite the Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik line. The only time Richards has looked remotely good in his tenure here has been when he was playing with those guys. Richards is too slow to retrieve the puck, and Hagelin can do that for him. Nash gets the puck and wants to score. Hagelin is willing to give it up once he retrieved it.

If that doesn't work, then you're likely going to have to assume he's done. He's shown no chemistry with other players, and is slow and outmatched in the corners. Try your damnedest to add a viable scoring center option that can relegate Richards to the 3rd line if you think the post-season is still in the cards. Craig Smith or Paul Stastny. Guys who might be expendable and could use a change of scenery but are younger and can remain with the team beyond this year. If not, re-evaluate in the summer and take your medicine.

I am assuming he's gone, either this summer or next. But that doesn't change the fact that right now, this season, he is bringing the team down. I don't know what it is; motivation issues, lack of effort, or just age catching up faster than usual. One thing I do know for sure, is that he can play hockey better than what we are seeing. If it's age, then there's really not much you can do. If it's motivation, perhaps giving him a night to reassess his game in the pressbox isn't the worst way to go. Can't the team just lie and say that he's "banged up"? No one told us what was wrong with Nash. Make him unavailable to the media and that's that. No one has to go embarrass anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: