Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Rangers 3/24/13

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Hank is sick of torts for sure .

I don't know if he's sick of Torts, but I am definitely getting the feeling he's getting sick with the team.

Everyone is pointing out the positives how they came back from 0-2 and they got a point, Henrik's ticked off that all they could muster was a loser point.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
3/24 VS WSH: Gave up 2 goals, lost in a SO
3/21 VS FLA: Gave up 2 goals and an ENG, lost in regulation
3/19 AT NJ: Gave up 2 goals, won in regulation
3/18 VS CAR: Gave up 1 goal, won in a SO
3/16 AT PIT: Gave up 3 goals, lost in regulation
3/14 AT WPG: Gave up 2 goals and an ENG, lost in regulation
3/12 AT BUF: Gave up 3 goals, lost in regulation
3/10 AT WSH: Gave up 1 goal, won in regulation
3/8 VS OTT: Gave up 3 goals, lost in regulation
3/7 AT NYI: Gave up 1 goal, won in OT
3/5 VS PHI: Gave up 2 goals, won in regulation
3/3 VS BUF: Gave up 2 goals, won in SO

In our twelve games in March thus far, we have given up three goals (not counting ENGs or SO "goals") three times, and have lost each of those times. We haven't given up more than three goals in a game. As nice as it will be to get Staal back, it won't solve any problems with the team... even if our defense hasn't been quite up to what we grew to expect last year, stopping goals isn't even close to the problem. It all comes down to putting the puck in the net.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
3/24 VS WSH: Gave up 2 goals, lost in a SO
3/21 VS FLA: Gave up 2 goals and an ENG, lost in regulation
3/19 AT NJ: Gave up 2 goals, won in regulation
3/18 VS CAR: Gave up 1 goal, won in a SO
3/16 AT PIT: Gave up 3 goals, lost in regulation
3/14 AT WPG: Gave up 2 goals and an ENG, lost in regulation
3/12 AT BUF: Gave up 3 goals, lost in regulation
3/10 AT WSH: Gave up 1 goal, won in regulation
3/8 VS OTT: Gave up 3 goals, lost in regulation
3/7 AT NYI: Gave up 1 goal, won in OT
3/5 VS PHI: Gave up 2 goals, won in regulation
3/3 VS BUF: Gave up 2 goals, won in SO

In our twelve games in March thus far, we have given up three goals (not counting ENGs or SO "goals") three times, and have lost each of those times. We haven't given up more than three goals in a game. As nice as it will be to get Staal back, it won't solve any problems with the team... even if our defense hasn't been quite up to what we grew to expect last year, stopping goals isn't even close to the problem. It all comes down to putting the puck in the net.

That is basically status quo for this team and Lundqvist. It's either Richards and Gaborik truly fell off a cliff or there is something going on with them and Torts, or maybe they are jealous of Nash? I don't know...

Apr 10, 2012
...richards in the shootout was pretty stupid... give the guys that have confidence the opportunity to win it OR in gaborik's case a guy that wants a revenge breakaway goal

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
...richards in the shootout was pretty stupid... give the guys that have confidence the opportunity to win it OR in gaborik's case a guy that wants a revenge breakaway goal

I would have definitely put Gaborik ahead of Richards. I would have told him "listen, none of that dekeing ********* from you. Got it? Shoot it. If you don't shoot it and do try to pull off that ********, than just skate towards the ****ing locker room."

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
A bright spot about this game: I was ******** on Gab for a while this season but these past few games he's really making me eat my words. Almost a night and day change

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
If ****ing Asham can snipe like that, there is no reason for anyone else on the team to not be able to do the same damn thing.

Exactly how I feel, the bottom six is like a black hole for offensive production... Yet those guys aren't completely devoid of skill. Well maybe Boyle is, Asham has some skill though reminds me of Avery from his first stint. You know when he could actually play hockey other than stir ****.

Yeah, but he came from a team that practices offense.

Preach!

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Exactly how I feel, the bottom six is like a black hole for offensive production... Yet those guys aren't completely devoid of skill. Well maybe Boyle is, Asham has some skill though reminds me of Avery from his first stint. You know when he could actually play hockey other than stir ****.

Exactly. I like Asham, and the fact that he didn't pass on that play and just sniped one tells me that he said "**** it" and just went out there and played some hockey which is what the other players should do as well.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
I personally can't wait til he's out of here, so fed up with his garbage system and piggy backing off of an elite Vezina goalie. We would have lost 4-2 in regulation if it wasn't for Hank. Frankly, I wouldn't blame him if he wants out. I would too. Ever since Nash got here, that family feel flew out the window and the team is embarrassing on a nightly basis. Seems like the aberration was the Toronto game where we scored 5.

Flavius

Da Gawd
Feb 23, 2013
H.A.M. City

I thought the same thing. Okay Torts, we get it, you're pissed at Gaborik and Richards because they've been totally blowing ******* but what's the point in punishing them when it comes down to the shootout? Whether you support his regulation play or not (playing scared, losing corner battles, trying not to get hurt, etc.) He has got to be in the shootout. And if you're going to end up using one of the two why not go with the more skilled one? I don't get it.

And believe me I am a huge fan of Stepan (I was supporting him before it was "cool" - wasn't on this board yet though) but he just doesn't belong in a shootout. His skillset just doesn't support it. Same thing with JT Miller last week. Enough! Lose with your scorers!

Flavius

Da Gawd
Feb 23, 2013
H.A.M. City
Also I don't get how "punishing" Richards and Gaborik by not putting them in the top 3 for the shootout is going to motivate them. These guys are in their 30's, not in high school for Christ's sake.

BarbaraAlphanse

Anyone think that Richards should flat out be benched for the next 5 games? Its worked wonders for Boyle's energy level. :dunno:

BarbaraAlphanse

Also I don't get how "punishing" Richards and Gaborik by not putting them in the top 3 for the shootout is going to motivate them. These guys are in their 30's, not in high school for Christ's sake.

Mid 30's and being paid the most on the team. Motivation shouldn't be an issue they should technically be mature enough by now to understand what their price tag requires.

Yet somehow its taken Gaborik all but the last 4 games or so to be motivated and Richards still hasn't found a spark in 2 seasons here.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth

Put a stop payment on their direct deposits... That'll motivate them....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad