Speculation: Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - summer 2018 to summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Didn't Jeremy Morin try out with Hershey last year as well? Or am I think of news from earlier this summer?
He spent a few weeks in South Carolina last year as he was working out a deal to return to Europe. I think he ended up playing on 3-4 different teams throughout Europe last season

Reactions: Hivemind

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014

Had a good game after signing his contract, contributing on all three of the silvertips’ goals (2g, 1a) in a win. He now has 5 points in 4 games.

Alexeyev also starting out strong too, second on his team in points with 5 (3g, 2a) in 4 games.

Florchuk with 4 assists in 3 game. Roykas-Marthinsen on same team with 1g and 1a in 4 games.

Clark is not doing so hot point-wise. Disappointing start with 1 assist in 4 games so far.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Jeremy Morin ended up scoring one of Hershey's goals in a 6-2 loss to WBS in Hershey's first preseason action. Not a ton of regulars that played for Hershey who from apparently looked better than the score amounted to.

Garrett Mitchell is attending the Reading Royals training camp to try and garner some interest from AHL clubs. I also heard he's exploring some overseas options

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Will Tobias Geisser be starting the year in the AHL?
Too early to tell. Hershey’s PR guy said they were surprised that he was sent down to their training camp and earlier in the summer they weren’t expecting him to play in Hershey. There’s 8-9 healthy D on Hershey’s roster currently so I can’t see them wanting Geisser to sit in the press box unless Siegenthaler spends most of the year in Washington.

Hershey’s LD depth currently in no particular order:
Jonas Siegenthaler (for now)
Aaron Ness
Lucas Johansen
Kris Bindulis (injured, week to week)
Tobias Geisser

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Too early to tell. Hershey’s PR guy said they were surprised that he was sent down to their training camp and earlier in the summer they weren’t expecting him to play in Hershey. There’s 8-9 healthy D on Hershey’s roster currently so I can’t see them wanting Geisser to sit in the press box unless Siegenthaler spends most of the year in Washington.

Hershey’s LD depth currently in no particular order:
Jonas Siegenthaler (for now)
Aaron Ness
Lucas Johansen
Kris Bindulis (injured, week to week)
Tobias Geisser

Games start in a few days, surely they’ll have his sorted in the next day or two?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Games start in a few days, surely they’ll have his sorted in the next day or two?
Im sure the Bears final roster will be set in the next few days. You can always reach out to Zack Fisch on Twitter. He’s the Bears play by play and PR guy. He’s the one I referenced earlier when I said he didn’t expect Geisser to be in the AHL this year

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey’s Final Roster:

Forwards (16):
Shane Gersich, Steven Whitney, Beck Malenstyn, Axel Jonsson-Fjallby, Jeremy Morin, Mike Sgarbossa, Garrett Pilon, Riley Barber, Liam O'Brien, Hampus Gustafsson, Juuso Ikonen, Sergei Shumakov, Maxi Kammerer, Brian Pinho, Derek Hulak, Mason Mitchell

Defensemen (9): Tyler Lewington, Kris Bindulis, Lucas Johansen, Connor Hobbs, Colby Williams, Aaron Ness, Tobias Geisser, Jonas Siegenthaler, Logan Pyett

Goalies (2): Ilya Samsonov, Vitek Vanecek

Besse and MacLeod were reassigned to SC. Hulak and Morin are on PTOs for the time being and Whitney signed an AHL contract. Will be interesting to see how this fully plays out once Megna gets sent down. I don’t think carrying 16-17 forwards and 9 D is ideal for playing time. I’m assuming that Siegenthaler might get the recall to Washington at some point which is why Geisser is sticking around. It’s odd that no one in Hershey was expecting him which points further to the lack of communication between the two clubs.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't really understand the plan with Geisser at all myself unless he's headed to South Carolina. Switzerland would seem to be the best option, playing against men on the larger surface so as to further reinforce his skating and skill. He's a massive project that doesn't really fit with a Hershey roster that presumably wants to win and get back into the playoffs. Sure, they could be down to just three LD including Geisser should Siegenthaler be recalled and stay up (since Bindulis is injured). But I don't think he's abundantly ready for AHL play.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

It's confirmed that Geisser is staying in NA at this point. There's just too many question marks right now on both Washington and Hershey's rosters in terms of injuries and suspensions. I'd speculate that Siegenthaler gets another call up as soon as there's roster and cap space available and they maybe see if he sticks as the 7th D. At this point though, Bowey has played well enough through the first two games that it doesn't make sense to bring up Siegenthaler to sit. Let him play top line minutes in Hershey to continue his development and wait and see if there are any injuries in Washington.

It's not feasible for Hershey to carry 8-9 D throughout the year, especially when a lot of the guys they are carrying are prospects that need playing time. Right now I'd say these are the lines (in no particular order):

Ness-Lewington
Sieg-Williams
LuJo-Hobbs
Pyett
Geisser

Injured:
Bindulis

One or maybe even both of Bindulis and Geisser could head to SC to get playing time if they can't crack the Hershey roster. It doesn't make sense to have those guys only get 1 game over the course of a 2 or 3 game weekend.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I mean...we don't really know the guys financial situation or what's going on in his life. I imagine as a young teenage prospect in the NLA he's making 30-40K a year max. He'll be making a heck of a lot more than that playing in North America this year. If he desires to play in North America this season and begin his contract it's up to the Caps to find a place for him to do it.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I mean...we don't really know the guys financial situation or what's going on in his life. I imagine as a young teenage prospect in the NLA he's making 30-40K a year max. He'll be making a heck of a lot more than that playing in North America this year. If he desires to play in North America this season and begin his contract it's up to the Caps to find a place for him to do it.
That doesn’t really have anything to do with the Caps wanting what’s best for his development. It’s a fact that’s he’s going to be competing for a full time roster spot and he’s up for reassignment to SC. His minor league salary won’t be a ton either

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
That doesn’t really have anything to do with the Caps wanting what’s best for his development. It’s a fact that’s he’s going to be competing for a full time roster spot and he’s up for reassignment to SC. His minor league salary won’t be a ton either
I agree, but it's up to him what country he chooses to play in. The Capitals can't keep him in Switzerland if he doesn't want to be there. An organization only has so much control on where a player can play. His minor leauge salary will be more than double what he's earning now and correct me if I'm wrong his signing bonus of an additional 85K will kick in. That's probably 4x-5x more than he'd earn playing for Zug next season. Not saying this is good or bad for his development, or saying you're wrong and I'm right... just saying. :dunno: I think a lot of times we look past what some of these guys want to do for "the greater good of the organization". He'll need to earn his time and if it's in the ECHL then so be it, that's his choice.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Some quick tidbits from the home opener for Hershey. It was the first game of the season for a brand new team so I’ll try to be nice. The team is very very fast but you could tell that they haven’t played a lot together. A little bit sloppy for opening night but the potential is through the roof for this team. What they really lack is a solid AHL scorer to lead the team but Sgarbossa played very well as the top line center.

Into the prospects:
-Samsonov got the start over Vitek in the home opener. Holy shit guys I’ve never seen a goalie come through Hershey with the quickness that this guy has. He gets down quick and he moves laterally quick it’s insane. He was very solid in net and 2/3 goals given up were PP goals. Kids gonna be a stud.
-Gersich was super noticeable on the top line with Sgarbossa and Riley Barber. His speed was on display all night and it’s impressive to see a young guy play well in both the offensive and defensive zone.
-Loved Beck Malenstyn’s game. Was flying all over the ice and was a pest out there. The fourth line of Kammerer-Pinho-Malenstyn was a force all night and got a lot of shifts in the 2nd and 3rd period. Pinho is a very solid two way centerman.
-AJF is easily the fastest guy on the ice and has the nicest flow, but I wasn’t entirely impressed with his game tonight considering all the hype he was getting. Seemed a bit sloppy on the puck and looked lost on the PK. I did notice he’s not physical in a sense that he will hit someone but he is solid along the boards
-Shumakov was a complete disappointment and ended up getting benched in the 3rd period. Very, very sloppy on the puck and turned the puck over with some awful passes. I really hope he adjusts to the smaller ice but tonight was pretty rough for him. There was very little offensive output from him which is probably why he was benched. I have a bet with my brother that if he continues to play bad he’ll be back in Russia halfway through the year.
-No clue what Reirden was saying regarding Siegenthaler being impressive. He was the same old Siegenthaler tonight that he’s been since he arrived in Hershey. Great in his own zone but can’t handle the puck to save his life. His passing really needs to improve, especially when he’s not pressured in his own D zone and looking for the correct pass to lead the rush. He panics a lot when the first option is taken away.

I’m a little more optimistic that Hershey will at least play an exciting style of hockey. The team speed has greatly improved and I think as the year goes on this group will mesh a little bit better. Adding Megna soon will help too because there is going to be some growing pains in the scoring department.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Some quick tidbits from the home opener for Hershey. It was the first game of the season for a brand new team so I’ll try to be nice. The team is very very fast but you could tell that they haven’t played a lot together. A little bit sloppy for opening night but the potential is through the roof for this team. What they really lack is a solid AHL scorer to lead the team but Sgarbossa played very well as the top line center.

Into the prospects:
-Samsonov got the start over Vitek in the home opener. Holy **** guys I’ve never seen a goalie come through Hershey with the quickness that this guy has. He gets down quick and he moves laterally quick it’s insane. He was very solid in net and 2/3 goals given up were PP goals. Kids gonna be a stud.
-Gersich was super noticeable on the top line with Sgarbossa and Riley Barber. His speed was on display all night and it’s impressive to see a young guy play well in both the offensive and defensive zone.
-Loved Beck Malenstyn’s game. Was flying all over the ice and was a pest out there. The fourth line of Kammerer-Pinho-Malenstyn was a force all night and got a lot of shifts in the 2nd and 3rd period. Pinho is a very solid two way centerman.
-AJF is easily the fastest guy on the ice and has the nicest flow, but I wasn’t entirely impressed with his game tonight considering all the hype he was getting. Seemed a bit sloppy on the puck and looked lost on the PK. I did notice he’s not physical in a sense that he will hit someone but he is solid along the boards
-Shumakov was a complete disappointment and ended up getting benched in the 3rd period. Very, very sloppy on the puck and turned the puck over with some awful passes. I really hope he adjusts to the smaller ice but tonight was pretty rough for him. There was very little offensive output from him which is probably why he was benched. I have a bet with my brother that if he continues to play bad he’ll be back in Russia halfway through the year.
-No clue what Reirden was saying regarding Siegenthaler being impressive. He was the same old Siegenthaler tonight that he’s been since he arrived in Hershey. Great in his own zone but can’t handle the puck to save his life. His passing really needs to improve, especially when he’s not pressured in his own D zone and looking for the correct pass to lead the rush. He panics a lot when the first option is taken away.

I’m a little more optimistic that Hershey will at least play an exciting style of hockey. The team speed has greatly improved and I think as the year goes on this group will mesh a little bit better. Adding Megna soon will help too because there is going to be some growing pains in the scoring department.
Love reading stuff like this - appreciate the scouting!

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Samsonov looked really good and composed for his first real North American game. Athletic and looks huge in net. Covers a lot of ground and does it quick. Probably wants the third one back but two of the three he gave up were on the PK.

Gersich looks stupid fast, even more so against AHL competition. Disruptive on the forecheck and able to blow by the majority. Him and Barber are the wings on the 1st line and look dangerous together. Riley Barber took a big hit to make a play which directly lead to the bears first goal(O'Brien). He also had a great rush and slick pass on the second goal(Sgarbossa) where he picked up the primary.

Shumakov and AJF are playing together. Their line was a bit rough but fast. Had a hard time in their own end entire first period. Shumakov had a nice rush in the first that lead to him getting a nice bad angle shot. Looks like they may have shook that line up briefly in the second, saw AJF with Malenstyn and Pinho more. Back together in the third with Gustafsson centering them again. Thought they settled down and played better but weren't much of a threat.

Malenstyn can lay the wood. Two huge hits in one shift. Definitely an agitator.

Seigenthaler looked pretty decent. Made a terrific play just in front on Samsonov on a semi odd man rush. Stood up a few times, once ended up in his own ass but achieved the desired results by separating the man from the puck.

Really liked Pinho, super fast and responsible. Looks more physically ready for the pros than some of the other young players.

You can look at this team and see the direction the scouting staff has been going the past few years. Speed, speed, speed. This team can fly and fought until the final horn. Had a few great chances to tie with the goalie pulled. Bad guys win 3-2.

Reactions: um
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad