Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Maple leafs HNIC 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Raise your hand if you thought the Caps would win these back to back games in regulation?

:amazed:

They are a good team. Its past Thanksgiving. Its time to saddle up if you want to get somewhere. Both Tampa and Toronto are still in the position of having to prove they are a big dog. The Caps are the established team. They only needed to show it. They did. It means nothing come playoffs but for now they are the team till they are not

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
another win, another game without the failed low-to-high strategy..until we lose again (book it)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Just watched the game on the DVR. Ovechkin was fired out of a cannon tonight. It’s not realistic to expect that every night given his age but it’s a treat to watch when he’s on his game.

Also keep 8-19-43 together. They just work.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Heh, maybe we can have Burakovsky and Djoos return for next game.
I was actually just thinking about that, who gets benched when Bura comes back? My vote is for Chiasson, but I don't know what Barry will do. DSP maybe? Or God forbid, Vrana?

D seems simple, Chorney is terrible. But I seem to remember some people saying they can't fit Djoos, Bowie and Vrana all under the cap at the same time.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I was actually just thinking about that, who gets benched when Bura comes back? My vote is for Chiasson, but I don't know what Barry will do. DSP maybe? Or God forbid, Vrana?

D seems simple, Chorney is terrible. But I seem to remember some people saying they can't fit Djoos, Bowie and Vrana all under the cap at the same time.

Since Connolly is already out, I'd scratch Graovac. We should keep Chiasson for PK duties. DSP and Vrana stay in the lineup for sure.

I'd put Connolly and Ness on waivers to clear the necessary cap space. If no one claims Connolly, you make a trade. I'm afraid that Connolly would clear, I really hope someone claims him.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Vintage performance.

giphy.gif

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
What a game for Ovi and the rest of the team. With a little bit of luck, we can finish this weekend with only 1 goal against.

Since the reunion.
5 goals in 3 games for #8
4 assists in 3 games for #19
:thumbu:

So many records/Accomplishments for Ovi tonight. That multi goal accomplishment is just WOW. Most since 1994, when he was 9 years old :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: 9, NINE, NIIIIIIIIINE

Few weeks ago, I posted this in a thread before the Pens game.
Tonight we start a stretch of 9 games in 16 days. A mini road trip during this stretch and a back-to-back to close it.
10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24 and 25.

6-3-0, it's good, very good.
2 L on the road
3 L against Western Conference teams

PS: Look at the reaction and comments of Bolts fans 2 days ago, and Leafs yesterday. One fan base was classy and objective. The other fan base, the opposite.:sarcasm:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just watched the game on the DVR. Ovechkin was fired out of a cannon tonight. It’s not realistic to expect that every night given his age but it’s a treat to watch when he’s on his game.

Also keep 8-19-43 together. They just work.

It's nice watching Willie look to make actual hockey plays when he's playing with talent, and he doesn't really look out of place doing it.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's nice watching Willie look to make actual hockey plays when he's playing with talent, and he doesn't really look out of place doing it.

Another positive about Wilson on the top line is that he’s going against skilled forwards much of the time so he doesn’t have to drop the gloves. And he’s able to draw penalties without taking a matching minor of his own in post-whistle scrums (warranted or not).

8-19-43 is a line that’s worked since 2014-15 in a pretty significant sample size (strong relative possession numbers, expected goals %, and actual goals %). I’d try to make it a more permanent solution rather than just temporary.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
another win, another game without the failed low-to-high strategy..until we lose again (book it)

Unless you are using a different terminology than I am used to can you explain what the low-to-high strategy is? I haven't heard of it but notice you mentioning it here.

Unless you mean north/south in which case I get that.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
PS: Look at the reaction and comments of Bolts fans 2 days ago, and Leafs yesterday. One fan base was classy and objective. The other fan base, the opposite.:sarcasm:

The difference between an entitled group and one that knows it has to scratch and claw for everything they get.

That is what makes the Caps fan base such an easy one to hang out with.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Unless you are using a different terminology than I am used to can you explain what the low-to-high strategy is? I haven't heard of it but notice you mentioning it here.

Unless you mean north/south in which case I get that.

Not North/South. Low to high is when the dump the puck to the corner with attempt to get three players down 'low' with eventual pass to blue line (high) with shot.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Another positive about Wilson on the top line is that he’s going against skilled forwards much of the time so he doesn’t have to drop the gloves. And he’s able to draw penalties without taking a matching minor of his own in post-whistle scrums (warranted or not).

8-19-43 is a line that’s worked since 2014-15 in a pretty significant sample size (strong relative possession numbers, expected goals %, and actual goals %). I’d try to make it a more permanent solution rather than just temporary.

Wilson can play hockey, he can skate with top end skill. He produces his coaching and is in the right place. He can pass and passes it to the right option. The CBc crew seemed perplexed that Trotz had him in that spot.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Not North/South. Low to high is when the dump the puck to the corner with attempt to get three players down 'low' with eventual pass to blue line (high) with shot.

Got it. So you contend, and apparently are correct, that this is NOT a good strategy for the Caps to use.

Thank you.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Pretty sure they can if Connolly isn't dressed. If that is the case it could force us to sit Connolly. That might be a blessing

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Since Connolly is already out, I'd scratch Graovac. We should keep Chiasson for PK duties. DSP and Vrana stay in the lineup for sure.

I'd put Connolly and Ness on waivers to clear the necessary cap space. If no one claims Connolly, you make a trade. I'm afraid that Connolly would clear, I really hope someone claims him.
I think we will have to put Connolly on waivers to stay under the cap. There may be other options but that's the option I like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad