Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Maple leafs HNIC 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
What am I missing? The Caps traded Zach Sanford and a pick. How do either of those things reduce the Fd factor for this season?
Knowing the Cap situation and the expansion draft was comming. Using the resources on last seasons roster rather then this seasons was short sighted and why we have no depth.
Would it have let us keep Mojo and Shidmt.? Who knows, but Sandford and the 2 picks would help a lot more then the waiver wire guys we have to put out.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Knowing the Cap situation and the expansion draft was comming. Using the resources on last seasons roster rather then this seasons was short sighted and why we have no depth.
Would it have let us keep Mojo and Shidmt.? Who knows, but Sandford and the 2 picks would help a lot more then the waiver wire guys we have to put out.

I am not connecting. If you are talking about Sanford being a better choice in the lineup than Chaisson, I would have to ask how you could be confident of that. Sanford did boo in the NHL last season and hasn't played a game this season. The picks wouldn't have scored an player ready to play in the league. Nobody would trade the Caps a solid player on a cheap contract for a prospect and a pick.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I am not connecting. If you are talking about Sanford being a better choice in the lineup than Chaisson, I would have to ask how you could be confident of that. Sanford did boo in the NHL last season and hasn't played a game this season. The picks wouldn't have scored an player ready to play in the league. Nobody would trade the Caps a solid player on a cheap contract for a prospect and a pick.

1st round picks always have a high value in this league. Those resources would have been better spent then 20 games of Shatty. It was dumb to trade all that for not a position of need.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Does no one remember how poorly Carlson performed on the PP last year? He was routinely missing the net and couldn’t form any chemistry with Ovechkin on the PP.

The fact is Shattenkirk was an upgrade on the PP. Was it worth it? Of course not in hindsight, but at the time he was a significant upgrade on an already loaded team. It’s not his fault Trotz decided to sit Schmidt for much of the remainder of the season and some of the postseason. Alzner shouldn’t have seen the ice at all once Shattenkirk arrived.

Of course GMBM should have known what coaching decisions were going to be made on the D, which IMO is a valid avenue of criticism of the trade.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
No one. Rentals are a waste of assests. We would not be as nearly as F'ed this season.

Not true. The Hawks won the Stanley Cup in 2015 thanks to the Vermette rental. The Penguins got Schultz as a rental in 2016 and he was their #1D during the second Cup run.

Rentals are not a mere waste of assets. Besides, do we really miss Sanford that bad?

Reactions: brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Shattenkirk was good, and Copley was needed for AHL, and as a possible backup to Holtby should Vegas take Grubauer in the expansion draft.
Zach Sanford hasn't played this season due to injury. Last season w/ STL, 13-2-3-5. And as a left winger, he was deemed expendable here, (Blues wanted him as part of trade, too).
Brad Malone is now with Edmonton. He's played 7 games, 0 pts. In AHL 10-3-3-6.
The 1st rd pick was the 27th overall in what was considered a weak draft. The Blues traded the pick w/ Jori Lehtera for Brayden Schenn. Flyers selected center Morgan Frost.
Also included in the Shattenkirk deal is a 2nd in 2019.
The trade itself was fine, especially knowing that the window was getting ready to close.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Remember when Craig Button said during the 2014 draft that skating is a weakness for Jakub Vrana and he would be a risky pick because of that. It was mind-boggling then and even more so now.

Personally, I never listen to Button. My goodness he's terrible.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Does no one remember how poorly Carlson performed on the PP last year? He was routinely missing the net and couldn’t form any chemistry with Ovechkin on the PP.

The fact is Shattenkirk was an upgrade on the PP. Was it worth it? Of course not in hindsight, but at the time he was a significant upgrade on an already loaded team. It’s not his fault Trotz decided to sit Schmidt for much of the remainder of the season and some of the postseason. Alzner shouldn’t have seen the ice at all once Shattenkirk arrived.

Of course GMBM should have known what coaching decisions were going to be made on the D, which IMO is a valid avenue of criticism of the trade.
Shattenkirk was an upgrade? When did that happen? In the playoffs Shattenkirk didn't do much on the pp and he played no defence at all. He killed us in the playoffs. Apparently people here didn't know what kind of player we were getting in Shattenkirk.

Reactions: Dream Big

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
1st round picks always have a high value in this league. Those resources would have been better spent then 20 games of Shatty. It was dumb to trade all that for not a position of need.

I don't disagree with any of that. I am just saying that keeping those assets wouldn't have changed this year's team

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Shattenkirk was an upgrade? When did that happen? In the playoffs Shattenkirk didn't do much on the pp and he played no defence at all. He killed us in the playoffs. Apparently people here didn't know what kind of player we were getting in Shattenkirk.

Again, no one could've seen that coming, not even you. Shattenkirk was a very useful player for the Blues in their previous playoff run to the WCF. I honestly think it's a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Shattenkirk could've been a much better player for us under other circumstances. Look at him now with the Rangers. 5 goals and 13 assists in 24 games. If he was on our team right now, he'd be one point behind Backstrom and tied with Carlson for the scoring lead among Ds.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Not true. The Hawks won the Stanley Cup in 2015 thanks to the Vermette rental. The Penguins got Schultz as a rental in 2016 and he was their #1D during the second Cup run.

Rentals are not a mere waste of assets. Besides, do we really miss Sanford that bad?
Schultz is still there so that's not a rental.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Again, no one could've seen that coming, not even you. Shattenkirk was a very useful player for the Blues in their previous playoff run to the WCF. I honestly think it's a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Shattenkirk could've been a much better player for us under other circumstances. Look at him now with the Rangers. 5 goals and 13 assists in 24 games. If he was on our team right now, he'd be one point behind Backstrom and tied with Carlson for the scoring lead among Ds.

Nothing against Shattenkirk. He is what he is. On the Rangers' board they've figured him out and he's not playing vs other top lines but he is good on the power play.
Just have to get those penalties and all is good in registering points.

He's not playing against those kinds of players though, he has the lowest qualcomp of Rangers defensemen based on corsi% and Toi% of his competition.

Also, leads the team with Skjei in Ozone starts.

Basically he's being sheltered to an extent to maximize his skill set which is PP, joining the rush and offensive zone play

Why would the Blues ever let him go if he was so important in their previous playoff run in 15/16?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'm sorry but he isn't playing VA's good with the Rangers as you think. His offensive numbers care good but he still doesn't play defence. Kind of reminds me of Yandle.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm sorry but he isn't playing VA's good with the Rangers as you think. His offensive numbers care good but he still doesn't play defence. Kind of reminds me of Yandle.

Yandle is not a bad player himself. I would've compared Shattenkirk to post-injury Mike Green. He wasn't a bad player for us, just not worth the money he was earning. Still a nice commodity to have on your 3rd pair.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They re-signed him, he went from a rental to a permanent player.

Right. If he'd been underwhelming or if they hadn't won the Cup would they still have kept him? It's still a pickup that panned out either way

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Right. If he'd been underwhelming or if they hadn't won the Cup would they still have kept him? It's still a pickup that panned out either way

We're saying the same thing. A rental is a rental. You can re-sign your rentals, just like we could've re-signed Shattenkirk if both parties wanted to stick together.

Reactions: g00n

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We're saying the same thing. A rental is a rental. You can re-sign your rentals, just like we could've re-signed Shattenkirk if both parties wanted to stick together.
We never had any intentions on signing Shattenkirk. There was Noway we could fit him under the salary cap. I am thankful for that

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yandle is not a bad player himself. I would've compared Shattenkirk to post-injury Mike Green. He wasn't a bad player for us, just not worth the money he was earning. Still a nice commodity to have on your 3rd pair.
All 3 of those guys you mention in this post are a liability in the defensive zone. I prefer dmen to be a bit more responsible than those players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->