Friedman: Capitals interested in Marc-Andre Fleury

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Can a Caps fan fill me in? I'm a neutral fan, and don't see a lot of Washington. Why would they need a goalie with Samsonov and Vanecek?

Is Samsonov still the guy going forward?

They both kindof suck. No one knows who the favorite is. I could see one being traded in a deal. We have a backup in the AHL that might be just as good as them.
For just Cap space you trade Sammy who will be closer to free agent and needs a raise and run with VV and Fucale next season.

I dont think either of our goalies clear waivers so one will be on the way out. The fact we traded to get VV back from Seattle leads me to think hes the favorite

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
They both kindof suck. No one knows who the favorite is. I could see one being traded in a deal. We have a backup in the AHL that might be just as good as them.
For just Cap space you trade Sammy who will be closer to free agent and needs a raise and run with VV and Fucale next season.

Thanks for the rundown. As an outside observer, that's a real surprise. Samsonov was considered a can't-miss, wasn't he? I'm shocked any fans would consider moving him already.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Thanks for the rundown. As an outside observer, that's a real surprise. Samsonov was considered a can't-miss, wasn't he? I'm shocked any fans would consider moving him already.
Sammy has his warts that have pissed off alot of people. He did get protected in the draft so he was the favorite last off season

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I believe chicago is looking for high draft picks and elite young prospects. Washington would be a dangerous team acquiring MAF

davieglove34

Mar 30, 2013
The jury is still out on both Sammy and Vanny. Both have had stretches where they each looked like the #1, but neither of them have been able to put it together for a consistent stretch. I think Carlson being out with COVID, Jensen injured, Orlov suspended, the goaltending has been exposed a little bit. Wouldn't shock me either if GMBM was a little nervous about the tenders cuz of what happened in the playoffs last year too (Vanny injury, Sammy mishandling the puck in OT and costing them game 3).

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Would love to see fleury meltdown in a playoff series vs the penguins. He owes the team that much

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
when you have 2 or more goalies you dont have 1. Sammy is inconsistent and Vanecek is mediocre at best. Likely a career backup

Reactions: SherVaughn30

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hes half as expensive now.
Hes on a team that can retain.
Hes played extremely well on a much worse team
Urgency has been ramped up.

He's absolutely more valuable than he was in the summer.

Lehner had a .918 save% with Chicago in 2019-2020 and the Hawks got a 2nd and Subban for him.

I really don't see any reason to think that Fleury would somehow bring back more. Vanacek and a 3rd is just about a best case scenario for Chicago.

I believe chicago is looking for high draft picks and elite young prospects. Washington would be a dangerous team acquiring MAF

And I want to go on a date with Taylor Swift, but that doesn't mean I'm going to get it :laugh:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
when you have 2 or more goalies you dont have 1. Sammy is inconsistent and Vanecek is mediocre at best. Likely a career backup

Vanecek is better than mediocre at best. What is for sure is ready to play and committed to his career. His numbers are better. Consistently so. I will tell you this, I would not want to trade Vanecek and end up with Samsonov and some retread for next season.

Reactions: swansonsays

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I wish MAF the best no matter where he goes. He's a good guy. He has to have the record for goaltenders all time in the NHL for letting in the first shot of a game as a goal though. A game or two he looks like the most dominant goaltender in the world and then after that he can't stop a beach ball to save his life.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Lehner had a .918 save% with Chicago in 2019-2020 and the Hawks got a 2nd and Subban for him.

I really don't see any reason to think that Fleury would somehow bring back more. Vanacek and a 3rd is just about a best case scenario for Chicago.

If you look at my earlier post I said Hawks would be unlikely to get Vanacek and a first. So not sure if you're just quoting me or disagreeing with me.

I think Hawks would be very pleased with Vanacek and a 3rd.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

And I want to go on a date with Taylor Swift, but that doesn't mean I'm going to get it :laugh:

“ We live in a totally different world than we did a few moments ago”

kevin Costner in Draft Day

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Now, to make it spicier, how much to get DeBrincat as well?

Cap would have to move but would Vanecek, Schultz, 1st, 3rd

Work for MAF + DeBrincat?

Or would CHi want someone like Protas thrown in

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
MAF gets to pick where he goes with his no trade. That limits his value, think Taylor Hall last season.

Actually that's not 100% correct he doesn't have a full nmc , besides your comparison is apples to oranges . Taylor hall isn't a stanley cup champ, nor is his position truly impactful.

Any championship cup winner has to have a goalie who is the centerpiece for that team to move forward. The goalie sees more action therefore his level of production outweighs a guy who skates 15 minutes a night .

I would agree with MAF will want to play for a team who he feels has the best chances, vegas , Washington, Colorado, edmonton , New York being a sleeper pick .

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
You may be right. If so, that would be a prime reason and discussed trade wouldn't happen

I'm speculating a bit here but I'm sure MAF was already approached by chicago regarding a possible trade that would lead me to believe that MAF if there is a possibility of a trade he most likely wants the best chance to win.

I would have to say MAF play is outstanding and what goalies other than MAF have the potential to help one of these teams win. Even there goalies aren't playing with the same level as MAF considering chicago isn't a good team.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Would love to see fleury meltdown in a playoff series vs the penguins. He owes the team that much

darth-sidious-order66.gif

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm speculating a bit here but I'm sure MAF was already approached by chicago regarding a possible trade that would lead me to believe that MAF if there is a possibility of a trade he most likely wants the best chance to win.

I would have to say MAF play is outstanding and what goalies other than MAF have the potential to help one of these teams win. Even there goalies aren't playing with the same level as MAF considering chicago isn't a good team.

You dont understand what I am saying. I am saying the Capitals wont spend a first round pick and one of their top prospects for that player. If that is the price, Chicago can trade him to a team that will pay that price or just not trade him.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
No thank you even with protas in
Curious where the value is at on DeBrincat. I think he’s tough to evaluate because most trade deadline comps for his age/contract status have had more team favorable terms. His cap hit next year is $6.5 which is a good deal for his production, but again skews comps as it’s not your standard bridge deal.

I’m of the mind that we over value players in trade proposals here. Where we might say a mid to late first round pick and top 6 blue chip prospect is under valuing Cat, it does sort of live up to prior trade values.

Jack Eichel was essentially traded for a 50 point guy, a top prospect, and a conditional 1st and 2nd.

I can’t think of the last “windfall” trade package. That’s not really the reality in 2022. So I don’t think I’m way to far off. I think modern NHL GMs see contracts with the limited cap space as the biggest arbitrator of value. Most over pays aren’t chasing player talent it’s coaxing teams to take term/contracts. Caps would maybe need to add more to make that part work, but for straight value I think it’s close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad