GDT: Capitals @ Flyers - 12/17/13 7:30 PM

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
No joke this just happened:

ibmS77vJBHVFZu.gif

What just happened? A guy half missing a check? A guy half missing a check right against the boards? Two guys skating away because of a little contact?

I understand fans are upset but what bothers me the most about some of these hits is the distance the hittee is from the boards simply because the hittee can be "launched" head first.

Just seems like there is a lot less chance of serious head/neck injury if the hittee is already against the boards and then hit which is what I see more of in this vid.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
While I hope no one gets hurt, I have no problem with the penalty. cost the team the game, yeah, probably, but at the same time, the team needs a bit of nut job.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I understand fans are upset but what bothers me the most about some of these hits is the distance the hittee is from the boards simply because the hittee can be "launched" head first.

Just seems like there is a lot less chance of serious head/neck injury if the hittee is already against the boards and then hit which is what I see more of in this vid.

Right - that was the problem with the Wilson hit is that Schenn was out too far from the boards for Wilson to lay him out like that. If Schenn is up against the boards, the Wilson hit is fine.

Some of that has to be on Schenn a bit. I understand that he to play the puck as it lays (and so couldn't get himself against the boards), but what the hell was he doing dicking around with the puck the way he did in an enclosed, high-traffic area like that - his feet were barely moving and his stick went back and forth over the puck at least 4 times before Wilson hit him.

Yeezus man, Wilson's can't make that hit like that because of the vulnerable positino relative to the boards - but Schenn needs to move his feet or move the puck when he's down in the corner, below the line, away from the boards.

He made himself a sitting duck by all but standing there with the puck on his stick while everyone else around him was moving. Shanny should at least mention in whatever video he makes that Schenn's actions (or lack of them) are a textbook case of how not to protect yourself.

Liberati0n*

While I hope no one gets hurt, I have no problem with the penalty. cost the team the game, yeah, probably, but at the same time, the team needs a bit of nut job.

The failed penalty kill cost the team the game. What the PK does never has any bearing on the player in the box.

Liberati0n*

So no repercussions for taking bad penalties? You must be Semin's biggest fan.

Obviously not what I said. The point is that all bad penalties are equal regardless of whether a goal is scored on the ensuing PP. A goal doesn't make the player who took the penalty more guilty.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
But the PK has definitely sucked lately. Teams seem to have no problem at all setting up in our zone and tossing the disc around like it was pond hockey. I see from the stats that we are middle of the pack for PK %. But lately, eyeball test, it has looked like a passive, ineffective PK.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The coach and GM have ralled around Wilson as well. It's predictable enough I guess--and I loved it personally--but in their capacity they should be less of a cheerleader publically. Even if that's what you geniunely think, you don't have to unabashedly say it over and over to the media. They need to at least agree that there's a line that it came very close to, if not over. Saying it was basically a clean hit is just asking Shanahan to make a point in giving him a few games.

Schenn being healthy and apparently playing tonight helps but I still think he gets a couple games.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

what liber is saying is that the pk doesn't comment on the penalty. when the ref makes a horrible call on your team with 5 minutes left in a tie game. don't blame the ref, kill the penalty. when your teammate screws the pooch by shooting the puck over the glass, kill the penalty.

semin taking dopey stick penalties only means the pk needs to pick him up.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
What just happened? A guy half missing a check? A guy half missing a check right against the boards? Two guys skating away because of a little contact?

Well its not about the hit or where it was, its about the speed and distance travelled, thats what everyone keeps on saying makes the hit by Wilson dirty.

Like I said, what Wilson does happens every game.

This one was in the Top 10 hits of 2013 video by the NHL and the commentator points out about it being charging.

Its like what the **** is the rule even? Do you have to cross the blue line, stop do a jumping jack to make it not charging?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The coach and GM have ralled around Wilson as well. It's predictable enough I guess--and I loved it personally--but in their capacity they should be less of a cheerleader publically. Even if that's what you geniunely think, you don't have to unabashedly say it over and over to the media. They need to at least agree that there's a line that it came very close to, if not over. Saying it was basically a clean hit is just asking Shanahan to make a point in giving him a few games.

Schenn being healthy and apparently playing tonight helps but I still think he gets a couple games.

It's actually questionable that he's healthy. The Flyers training staff is beyond horrific. A few years ago they didn't perform concussion tests when Bergeron, a promising D prospect, took a hard hit. "He said he feels fine!", they said. They let him play, he got concussed again, and now his career is more or less over.

They haven't learned a thing. Schenn told them "hey! I feel fine! I'll play!" so they're carting him out there. They haven't performed a single concussion test, at any point in time. They apparently didn't even perform tests after the hit. All he's gotten is an x-ray on his neck.

Liberati0n*

what liber is saying is that the pk doesn't comment on the penalty. when the ref makes a horrible call on your team with 5 minutes left in a tie game. don't blame the ref, kill the penalty. when your teammate screws the pooch by shooting the puck over the glass, kill the penalty.

semin taking dopey stick penalties only means the pk needs to pick him up.

No...he needs to not take those penalties (as long as they're legitimate calls). And you do blame the ref (but also kill the penalty) if he makes a horrible call with 5 minutes left. The person you don't blame for a goal-against is the player in the box. You blame him for taking the penalty, if he deserved it, but you don't blame him more because the other team happened to score. They're two separate issues: the guy in the box failed to do his job of not taking a stupid penalty, the guys on the PK have a separate job of killing penalties regardless of the particular circumstances. A player who takes a penalty doesn't deserve more blame because the other team scores on the PP. That's all I'm saying.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
But this stupid penalty does have an impact in how the team can and does play. Keeps guys on their toes and does show the team is willing to cross the line on occasion.

Sending this message to the Flyers of all teams isn't a bad thing. The Caps shouldn't give them an inch, and they should be looking to take their heads off.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No...he needs to not take those penalties (as long as they're legitimate calls). And you do blame the ref (but also kill the penalty) if he makes a horrible call with 5 minutes left. The person you don't blame for a goal-against is the player in the box. You blame him for taking the penalty, if he deserved it, but you don't blame him more because the other team happened to score. They're two separate issues: the guy in the box failed to do his job of not taking a stupid penalty, the guys on the PK have a separate job of killing penalties regardless of the particular circumstances. A player who takes a penalty doesn't deserve more blame because the other team scores on the PP. That's all I'm saying.

I understand your reasoning and on a certain level I can agree with it, but in some cases you do have to blame the guy taking a penalty for a goal that results. In a close game a PP can turn the tide. Players have to be aware of that and not get too careless with their sticks or bodies. This is magnified when you know your PK has been struggling.

Similarly, if a player fails to help out on a breakaway even though he knows his goalie is vulnerable, or he does something stupid to create that breakaway, could he be partially to blame for the goal that results?

If a DB in football lays an illegal and dangerous hit on a defenseless WR and keeps a game-winning drive alive for the other team, what's his degree of culpability for the drive that cost his team the game?

Putting your team in a bad spot carries some measure of responsibility for the result, imo.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Well its not about the hit or where it was, its about the speed and distance travelled, thats what everyone keeps on saying makes the hit by Wilson dirty.

Like I said, what Wilson does happens every game.

This one was in the Top 10 hits of 2013 video by the NHL and the commentator points out about it being charging.

Its like what the **** is the rule even? Do you have to cross the blue line, stop do a jumping jack to make it not charging?

The Rule

Rule 42 - Charging

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge†may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

You can read the rule in its entirety at the above link. What Wilson did, to me, clearly was charging as the rule is written and was deserved of the penalty as the rule is written.

Your video shows someone making a half arsed check. The criteria according to the rule is distance traveled and actually connecting with a check in a violent way. So I don't understand the point of your first vid when the checker barely laid a check.

Granted it is up to the referee's discretion and it always will be unless they just eliminate checking.

Maybe Oates needs to read the rule too, IDK.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
The Rule

Rule 42 - Charging

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge†may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

You can read the rule in its entirety at the above link. What Wilson did, to me, clearly was charging as the rule is written and was deserved of the penalty as the rule is written.

Your video shows someone making a half arsed check. The criteria according to the rule is distance traveled and actually connecting with a check in a violent way. So I don't understand the point of your first vid when the checker barely laid a check.

Granted it is up to the referee's discretion and it always will be unless they just eliminate checking.

Oh FFS. I also posted the Tootoo, hit whats the ****ING DIFFERENCE?

Please tell me the ****ing difference. He came from the other side of the ice, skated hard and violently checked someone enough to be considered 3rd best hit of 2013.

Hell Milbury had a ***** fit about Ovechkins hit on McDonagh in game 7 calling that one charging.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
The Rule

Rule 42 - Charging

Distance travelled pshh...this had no supplemental discipline if you all recall

With regards to charging. The player safety education videos always mention launching. Every single time. I have never seen a suspension for distance travelled only.
Watch Charging, Hard Hits vs. Legal Hits, and Contact Along the Boards here.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Oh FFS. I also posted the Tootoo, hit whats the ****ING DIFFERENCE?

Please tell me the ****ing difference. He came from the other side of the ice, skated hard and violently checked someone enough to be considered 3rd best hit of 2013.

Hell Milbury had a ***** fit about Ovechkins hit on McDonagh in game 7 calling that one charging.

Don't be pi$$ed at me - I didn't write the friggin' rule. :laugh:

But let me reference the rule again.

42.2 Minor Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion,

42.3 Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion,

42.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion,

Now that I've gotten my copy and paste exercise for the day, I am going to suggest the "difference" is the referee. If it was the same referee then I'm going to suggest his demeanor was different that day, or the player doing the hitting, or the hittee.

I guess the bottom line is all of these "rules" have to be interpreted by human beings. That should be enough said - no? How many different strike zones are there in baseball? I guess the bottom line is - if you're a hitter and you make a dashing start and collide violently with another player then there is a chance, at the referee's discretion, that a penalty may be called. That's the rule. :laugh:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The rules are subjective and everyone but us hates the Caps.

Simple enough?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad