GDT: Capitals @ Flyers - 12/17/13 7:30 PM

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I thought at the very least I'd see what he could bring to the table.

Hell, how many games has Tom Wilson played? Yet I can see this kid's role with the team in the future. A big, tough, physical player with speed who can eventually pot a few.

I'm not sure I've seen much from Mojo in 217 career games.
I'm not sure what the first sentence means. Is there something specific that you expected to see, but haven't seen yet? Was there anything pre-draft that you'd heard/seen that he would be capable of but hasn't demonstrated at the NHL level yet?

As for Wilson, all you did was identify physical traits with the "pot a few" descriptor. That could be anything from a complimentary 1st liner or a 6 minute energy guy. How many is a few? Are we talking Zac Rinaldo and ~12 points per year or Milan Lucic and ~60 points per year. We "haven't seen" what Wilson can do offensively yet, or at least I hope we haven't.

BrettXNA*

With all the cheap shots that other teams have layed on Capitals players over the years, many without appropriate repercussions, I am fine with the play.
Now go do the same to some Penguins, Rangers and Bruins.
This teams ******* to wimp ratio has been off for years.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
The 9 games was only about burning a year of his ELC. They can send him back to Plymouth at any point. I'm not suggesting they do that just saying they could.
Thanks for the correction. That aspect slipped my mind.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
With all the cheap shots that other teams have layed on Capitals players over the years, many without appropriate repercussions, I am fine with the play.
Now go do the same to some Penguins, Rangers and Bruins.
This teams ******* to wimp ratio has been off for years.

Frankly, I think Rinaldo charges on virtually every play.

I think the intent was right for Wilson, the outcome not so much. Considering how the Caps were getting physically dominated I understand what he was trying to do, sad no one else(less Ovechin) likes to play a physical game.

BrettXNA*

Frankly, I think Rinaldo charges on virtually every play.

I think the intent was right for Wilson, the outcome not so much. Considering how the Caps were getting physically dominated I understand what he was trying to do, sad no one else(less Ovechin) likes to play a physical game.

I just think the Capitals have shown far too much respect for their opponents in recent years, while being shown little by their opponents.

Halpysback*

Are we really going to accept a top line that produces zilch at even strength?

Yes, because god knows we need groom Johansson at the expense of everything else.

When Laich gets back we need to go with Laich-Johansson-Brouwer just so all the suck can be concentrated on one line. The "fire them into the sun" line. Even if Oates gives them 20 minutes a game that's 40 minutes of non-suck for the other 3 lines as opposed to the suck seeping into every single line we have.

Fehr Backstrom Ovechkin
Erat Grabovski Ward
Chimera Latta Wilson

That's a more than good enough top 9

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
Yes, because god knows we need groom Johansson at the expense of everything else.

When Laich gets back we need to go with Laich-Johansson-Brouwer just so all the suck can be concentrated on one line. The "fire them into the sun" line. Even if Oates gives them 20 minutes a game that's 40 minutes of non-suck for the other 3 lines as opposed to the suck seeping into every single line we have.

Fehr Backstrom Ovechkin
Erat Grabovski Ward
Chimera Latta Wilson

Awesome idea! Suck line.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA

Another video showing inconsistency. Neal travels from the line skating hard, their problem with the hit, leaving his feet, but no mention of how far he came for the hit.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
When Laich gets back we need to go with Laich-Johansson-Brouwer...

Watch them turn into the second coming of one of the most entertaining lines ever, Gallant-Yzerman-Probert (the new family friendly NHL's version anyway).

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water

Fehr Backstrom Ovechkin
Erat Grabovski Ward
Chimera Latta Wilson

:laugh:

I like the idea a lot but it won't work in Oates' system. You'd need a left handed suck line and right handed suck line. Although that could still prevent suck seepage on every line.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So not trying to bash Holtby but what's his deal with screens? He seems to play so small behind screens at times...something I've noticed lately, maybe a confidence thing, but the book seems to be out on him lately. Get in his face and put the puck on net for success.

I noted this in the GDT. Teams have also been painting the corners on him, particularly glove side.

As I said in the GDT they have been skating into the screen from the dots and then going shortside with a shot as soon as Holtby loses sight of the puck. I think the reason for this is they've probably seen Holtby on film and found him cheating on screens when he loses the puck. I am guessing here.

Or, they've seen him getting sloppy with stick positioning and his 5 hole is opening up more as he moves laterally.

Or...there's the age old method of setting screens to get pucks by good goalies. You don't set screens on bad goalies, you just shoot on them and look for rebounds. Coaches put screens in when the goalie is good enough to save most everything he can see. So you remove his ability to see.

Whichever flaw it is (I think it's probably cheating, without seeing film) Holtby has to correct it because right now the screens are working. He also needs some of the skaters in front of him to BLOCK SOME SHOTS and not let those screens through.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Phone hearing.

I don't think he'll get any games, could get fined to prevent these in the future considering he is just 19.

seems like phone hearing usually means you get at least a game or two.

when they look at play and don't see a suspendable offense, that's when they say, 'No hearing.'

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
seems like phone hearing usually means you get at least a game or two.

when they look at play and don't see a suspendable offense, that's when they say, 'No hearing.'

It's a hearing. Not a call us so we can tell you your punishment.

His defense will probably be forechecking and the fact he would of nailed cross body to the left if not for Schenn *****ing out of getting hit.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I noted this in the GDT. Teams have also been painting the corners on him, particularly glove side.

As I said in the GDT they have been skating into the screen from the dots and then going shortside with a shot as soon as Holtby loses sight of the puck. I think the reason for this is they've probably seen Holtby on film and found him cheating on screens when he loses the puck. I am guessing here.

Or, they've seen him getting sloppy with stick positioning and his 5 hole is opening up more as he moves laterally.

Or...there's the age old method of setting screens to get pucks by good goalies. You don't set screens on bad goalies, you just shoot on them and look for rebounds. Coaches put screens in when the goalie is good enough to save most everything he can see. So you remove his ability to see.

Whichever flaw it is (I think it's probably cheating, without seeing film) Holtby has to correct it because right now the screens are working. He also needs some of the skaters in front of him to BLOCK SOME SHOTS and not let those screens through.

Might be a confidence thing. I recall him being screened a lot in his rookie playoff campaign and coming up big. So, he can do it.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Have you gif'ed the slow mo version of the hit as it happens?

ibnJpkvrNPbmcP.gif

You can see him set up the hit, the wind up with the stick, picking up the left leg and the most interesting part in the set up is you clearly see his right skate point toes up and to the right.

As soon as he sees Schenn is turning, instead of leaving his left foot off the ice like normal and swing it into the hit, he clearly drags and he doesn't actually follow through with the upper body like it looks from other angles without true slow motion.

You can see that Wilson wasn't lying when he said he loved watching Ovechkin, and also how the hit would of actually been if he did actually follow through.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Might be a confidence thing. I recall him being screened a lot in his rookie playoff campaign and coming up big. So, he can do it.

That's what has me wondering about the cheating or the stick position. I also remember seeing him making some incredible saves on screens even THIS YEAR, and thinking to myself "how the hell did he even see that?"

I should probably look for some footage. Or maybe SS has a few dozen gifs...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
ibnJpkvrNPbmcP.gif

You can see him set up the hit, the wind up with the stick, picking up the left leg and the most interesting part in the set up is you clearly see his right skate point toes up and to the right.

As soon as he sees Schenn is turning, instead of leaving his left foot off the ice like normal and swing it into the hit, he clearly drags and he doesn't actually follow through with the upper body like it looks from other angles without true slow motion.

You can see that Wilson wasn't lying when he said he loved watching Ovechkin, and also how the hit would of actually been if he did actually follow through.

Id like to see a second or two earlier first showing he's looking out towards the net, then turns his head completely towards the Jack Daniels sign...good stuff thanks..

Toque*

Clean hit! But sadly not in the new pussafied NHL...he will get a few games :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad