GDT: Capitals @ Flyers - 12/17/13 7:30 PM

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
from the AP story:

Capitals coach Adam Oates was not pleased with the call on Wilson.

''It's a game-changing call which, which they call the way they think they see it,'' Oates said. ''I can't do anything about it. I'm also mad they don't get an instigator after that, because every single time we have one of our guys hit and a guy goes across it's an automatic instigator to neutralize the play.''

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It was a penalty but I think the only reason it was 5 was because Schenn stupidly ducked and turned away from the hit and into the boards at the last second turning it from a big hit into a devastating one.

Hopefully since it was a good Canadian boy making the hit Cherry will use this as another example of what not to do when you are about to get hit to show Schenn's fault in this on HNIC this Saturday.

As far as the lack of an instigator goes Grossman goes at him but doesn't drop his gloves and start swinging. Wilson is the first by a decent amount to do that so I understand why there was no instigator.

Overall a tough play for Wilson. If Schenn takes the hit like a man it's 2 minutes IMO. But since he completely bailed out and put himself in an incredibly vulnerable position at the last moment it looked and was a whole lot worse. But IMO that part is on Schenn.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I can see the side of the argument that Schenn's position relative to the boards made that a dangerous hit regardless of which direction he was facing. Schenn didn't do himself any favors by turning at the last minute, but the force with which Wilson delivered the hit was very likely going to send Schenn crashing into the boards in a dangerous fashion. That said, if I run the same scenario again, but with Schenn doing a better job bracing for the hit, I can't see a strong argument for a supsension.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think the bottom line here is you have to suck it up and kill the penalty.

Vladiator16*

Tom Wilson is getting five games for that. At minimum. That was reckless garbage.

Laich sucks.

That is all.

If he is, its BS, Philly's player looked directly at Wilson right before the hit, then turned his back to 6'4" 200+ lb. player that could not stop himself on the dime... there should not be any farther fines, suspensions, etc... but again its Shanahan so who knows...

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I still think Wilson and the Caps would be better off if he was getting 20 minutes a night in Hershey. In terms of playing the actual game of hockey, he brings absolutely nothing to the table outside of hitting and fighting and penalties.

People around here will excuse him because he is young, but he sucks at this point in time and needs seasoning.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I still think Wilson and the Caps would be better off if he was getting 20 minutes a night in Hershey. In terms of playing the actual game of hockey, he brings absolutely nothing to the table outside of hitting and fighting and penalties.

People around here will excuse him because he is young, but he sucks at this point in time and needs seasoning.
I imagine a lot of people would have preferred that route, but Wilson wasn't eligible to play for Hershey this season due to his age and CHL/AHL rules. The Caps either had to return him to juniors after playing 9 games or keep him up all year.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Why should they send Wilson down because of garbage call from refs? Yes it was textbook charging but Schenn can't be a coward and turn like that when he sees someone coming to hit him. If he takes the hit cleanly it's borderline minor penalty which often doesn't even get called.

It's total garbage if he gets suspended for that when Panik got 2 games for similar hit apart from the fact that Alzner didn't turn right before the contact.

Also what was Grossmann trying to do when he went after Wilson? He basically just pushed him into the boards and let Wilson smack him in the head several times. When Wilson finally got himself free Grossmann took him down and when Wilson got back up Grossmann was just grabbing his arm and refusing to stand up again. :laugh:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Need to get rid of the dead weight on the top line. Sorry but I do not think Marcus is going to be a player in this league. By now he'd have shown something. I have yet to see him make a play that has made me say 'ok this kid might turn into something'. Nope, nope, nope.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Need to get rid of the dead weight on the top line. Sorry but I do not think Marcus is going to be a player in this league. By now he'd have shown something. I have yet to see him make a play that has made me say 'ok this kid might turn into something'. Nope, nope, nope.
I'm confused. He's already "a player" in the league. He might not be a top line winger now (or ever), but he most certainly is an NHL-caliber player. Are you saying he should be in the AHL or lower?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
He is A player in the league, sure. He's not what many here thought he could become. He's not a top line winger, he's not a top line center. I don't know what his role on this team can be. I don't see him fitting in the bottom 6 either. He's just another player. Hell I see Beagle's role in this team more so than I can see Mojo's.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
- I thought Green had an encouraging first half of the game. He was rushing the puck and just looked involved. The second half not so much.

- Alzner and Carlson no doubt had a tough night. But it doesn't happen often.

- Erskine seemed to get out of position with hits but it didn't really cost anything.

- Holtby's first GA looked soft. Others.........IDK a lot of bodies in front including the opposition and teammates.

- Wilson's penalty - yea the game changer. I really don't care what Schenn did or didn't do that was a charging penalty all the way and just the right distance from the boards. Oates and fans can complain all they want but role reversal and a different tune would be singing.

- Interesting stat from the Philly feed was that since the Holtby beat down the Caps and Flyers have had two of the best records in the EC.

- Brouwer had an excellent feed to Fehr and during another play had a funny tumble on the ice. The Caps had a few spastic whiffs and such.

- Entertaining game overall. Ovi with another one and an odd backcheck.

Carolina up next. And Semin is back. Should be fun.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
He is A player in the league, sure. He's not what many here thought he could become. He's not a top line winger, he's not a top line center. I don't know what his role on this team can be. I don't see him fitting in the bottom 6 either. He's just another player. Hell I see Beagle's role in this team more so than I can see Mojo's.
What did you think he would be with 217 career games under his belt?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Missed the game unfortunately (or fortunately I suppose)

I did see Wilson's hit. 15-20 years ago thats a 2 minute penalty.

The game is changing now. You can't do that even if the player turns his back which they often do now.

He will get 2-5 games and deservedly so in todays environment. I don't like it but I've come to accept that major hits and slowly fighting will be gone from the game soon.

We will see more and more rub out hits of low impact and it will become more like european hockey is.

Players just have to get used to it and it will take time. Until then we will keep seen suspensions on a nightly basis.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not for nothing, but I doubt Wilson makes that hit if he was getting the ice time he deserved.

The kid gets like 6:00 a night. He probably feels the need to make a difference on every shift because he hardly plays.

Absurd line of reasoning.

He probably feels like he needs to make a difference because he's a rookie looking to lock up his roster spot. I also think he still makes that type of play if he's getting 6, 12, or 20 mins. He's a game changer.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It was a penalty but I think the only reason it was 5 was because Schenn stupidly ducked and turned away from the hit and into the boards at the last second turning it from a big hit into a devastating one.

Hopefully since it was a good Canadian boy making the hit Cherry will use this as another example of what not to do when you are about to get hit to show Schenn's fault in this on HNIC this Saturday.

As far as the lack of an instigator goes Grossman goes at him but doesn't drop his gloves and start swinging. Wilson is the first by a decent amount to do that so I understand why there was no instigator.

Overall a tough play for Wilson. If Schenn takes the hit like a man it's 2 minutes IMO. But since he completely bailed out and put himself in an incredibly vulnerable position at the last moment it looked and was a whole lot worse. But IMO that part is on Schenn.

Great post....right on.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If he is, its BS, Philly's player looked directly at Wilson right before the hit, then turned his back to 6'4" 200+ lb. player that could not stop himself on the dime... there should not be any farther fines, suspensions, etc... but again its Shanahan so who knows...

You're right, he did turn his back to avoid the hit and he took more punishment for it. Still, I'm ok with 2 games for Wilson. More is overkill. The NHL Needs to start educating the players more about that type of dumb play (turning your back to a hit near the boards)

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
What did you think he would be with 217 career games under his belt?

I thought at the very least I'd see what he could bring to the table.

Hell, how many games has Tom Wilson played? Yet I can see this kid's role with the team in the future. A big, tough, physical player with speed who can eventually pot a few.

I'm not sure I've seen much from Mojo in 217 career games.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So not trying to bash Holtby but what's his deal with screens? He seems to play so small behind screens at times...something I've noticed lately, maybe a confidence thing, but the book seems to be out on him lately. Get in his face and put the puck on net for success.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I imagine a lot of people would have preferred that route, but Wilson wasn't eligible to play for Hershey this season due to his age and CHL/AHL rules. The Caps either had to return him to juniors after playing 9 games or keep him up all year.

The 9 games was only about burning a year of his ELC. They can send him back to Plymouth at any point. I'm not suggesting they do that just saying they could.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA

Another good example of a non-suspension. Apparently if Wilson taking a stride to change directions is enough for a suspension, taking 3 should be also a suspension too no?

Also all this stupid talk about distance from the boards applies here too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad