Capitals' Evgeny Kuznetsov leaves Game 2 with apparent arm injury

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
For the record: an elbow has a different set of rules governing it than an illegal check to the head. Kuzy moving no longer comes in to play as a player is never eligible to be checked by an elbow.

That said, I don’t think it’s a suspendable elbow. However the elbow absolutely comes in to play with Kuzy’s injury. People saying he would have been injured without the elbow involved are out to lunch.

Walt Comiskey

Feb 26, 2009
"Good clean hockey play"
-said every Caps player/coach/fan after every controversial Wilson hit

Weird when you're in the other side of it, no?
Not at all. I would have called the Kuzy hit "good clean hockey" until the league ruled otherwise for Wilson.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
This whining is getting out of control.

It was a perfectly fine hit. His elbow doesn't even come up, it stays in the same position through the whole hit.

I don't get the impression that some of you like watching hockey. You're so angry at the refs all the time. Watch something you enjoy. Take up knitting. Something.

Reactions: TNT87 and Sentinel

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
The Russian race? Learn something new every day around here.

Probably should have been a penalty for head contact. Kuzy might not have been injured if he hadn't eased up to minimize the hit he knew was coming. Hope he can return.

missingjibbsclub

Bobby Heaters
Oct 26, 2016
London ON
They already said he'll be back for game 3 so settle down. Sucks for you knights fans. Try to take out the best player in the series that's gutty.

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
Kuzy braced himself and crouched a bit as readied himself for impact. If the hit was even a tad high, that's his fault.

LOOOOOOOOL.

HFboards never ceases to amaze me. When Wilson delivers a hit a "tad too high" it's his own fault (even with a distinct height difference). Any other player delivers a hit that might be "a tad too high", it's the player receiving the hits fault. Which is it, guys? The onus is on the hitter one second, and the one receiving the hit the next second!!

This place LOVES painting villains.

missingjibbsclub

Bobby Heaters
Oct 26, 2016
London ON
I think you heard wrong, Caps haven't even made a statement on it yet. If he left and didn't come back out in a close game like that - I'm betting he's done for the series.
They thought he was gonna be back for the 3rd lol he's definitely not gone for the series.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
giphy.gif

For all the poor unfortunate souls who give undying support to Tom Wilson but cry foul when their star player gets injured due to a high hit.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
LOOOOOOOOL.

HFboards never ceases to amaze me. When Wilson delivers a hit a "tad too high" it's his own fault (even with a distinct height difference). Any other player delivers a hit that might be "a tad too high", it's the player receiving the hits fault. Which is it, guys? The onus is on the hitter one second, and the one receiving the hit the next second!!

This place LOVES painting villains.

Well the person you quoted seems to be in the minority. Believe the consensus here is that there was an elbow, but there wasn't a bunch of force behind it (luckily).
That being said, he's gotta be responsible for the elbow and so it's a 2 min minor

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It's a fast game. It wasn't really a dirty hit but any time that elbow gets up like that and catches someone up high, it's got to be an elbowing call.

But, like i said, it's a fast game. It's not like the referees can just huddle up and call someone after initially letting it go. Oh wait...

Reactions: Luc Labelle

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
The hit didn't even look that bad. Plus they get two nights off if game 3 is on Saturday. I wouldn't be worried.

The hit looked fairly innocent, besides being high and deserving a 2 min minor, but Kuz reaction looked horrible. Definitely a pretty significant injury. All I heard was the Caps made a statement he was questionable to return but when he didn't come out for the 2nd period everyone pretty much figured he was out for the game. Long term it really depends on the extent of the injury. I'm betting he won't play the next 2 games in DC and I just hope he can return later in the series but even that may be unlikely. Would really be a shame for the Caps to lose their 2nd best player in game 2 in their first SCF appearance in 20 years.

Homerhawk

Aug 15, 2007
An elbowing penalty isn't defined as "any time an elbow makes any contact whatsoever with another player". As distraught as I am about Kuzy's injury, there's no penalty on that play. He kept his elbow tucked in on initial contact (ie, didn't lead with his elbow), didn't leave his feet prior to initial contact, and didn't make contact with his head. It was just a big check with a very unfortunate outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad