Capitals' Evgeny Kuznetsov leaves Game 2 with apparent arm injury

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Left arm of a left shooter. Depends on the degree of injury but that's a tough one. It is the power and more exposed arm while playing. Amazing what Backstroms done but at least it was top hand so he could compensate a bit.

Good thing for the Caps that Backstrom and Eller are playing so well and seem able to continue to while moving up one in the lineup.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Good thing for the Caps that Backstrom and Eller are playing so well and seem able to continue to while moving up one in the lineup.

I dont think anyone are surprised Backström could move up. He have been a 1st center his entire career and still plays 1st line minutes and on the PP, but with Kuznetsov stepping up they can spread the talent and let Ovi get more offensive shifts while Backström can take more defencive faceoffs. You want Ovi most of the time in the opponents end and before with Backström he got deployed more often in defencive faceoffs because of Backström beeing a good 2-way center. Its Eller who have stepped up so well that have been most impressive.

Inkio

Jul 2, 2012
it wasnt a legal hit , Mcnabb jumped, he left the ice, he threw an elbow to the face on purpose and about three other things were illegal about,

Wilson made one cheap hit, but it was retaliation for several illegal hits that weren't called including repeatedly going after oshies knees, orlov getting punched in the face , multiple late hits on ovie and kuznetzov, and about 5 things that reeves did.

You should always link video when being the OP of one of these posts.

Kuzy is low and making a pass and in a vulnerable position.

McNabb comes in to make a check, after the check his arms go flailing around and catch Kuzy in the face.

He did not leave the ice until impact. Him leaving the ice is a result of the impact. See clipped image below. He is making contact and both skates are on the ice. Watch the second angle video it's easier to see there. He did not jump as you stated. I know you're a fan but look at the evidence and take your fan glasses off for a second.

BrePSBV.jpg

I do not believe McNabb intended to elbow him in the face. You can't say he did it on purpose. It wasn't even until after he made contact that his arm went up into his face. I think his arms went flailing due to the impact and caught Kuzy.

Either way he needs to control his arms, especially because Kuzy is in a vulnerable position. He could have also gotten a little lower in his stance. He see's Kuzy is low.. he should try to match that to prevent any incidental illegal contact.

I don't think this is suspension worthy. Fine worthy though. Keep control of your body.

Side note... any single cap fan that says this deserves a suspension and the Wilson hit on ZAR did not please just delete your post. That would be extremely hypocritical.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Clean hit. Only argument you could make is for a 2 min penalty because of the unintentional elbow (actually, his arm flailed unnaturally so you could even argue intentional). Nothing remotely suspendable here.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
it wasnt a legal hit , Mcnabb jumped, he left the ice, he threw an elbow to the face on purpose and about three other things were illegal about,

Wilson made one cheap hit, but it was retaliation for several illegal hits that weren't called including repeatedly going after oshies knees, orlov getting punched in the face , multiple late hits on ovie and kuznetzov, and about 5 things that reeves did.

You forgot the part where McNabb chased Kuznetsov down the hall with a chainsaw in one hand and a rocket launcher in the other while setting an orphanage on fire.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I dont think anyone are surprised Backström could move up. He have been a 1st center his entire career and still plays 1st line minutes and on the PP, but with Kuznetsov stepping up they can spread the talent and let Ovi get more offensive shifts while Backström can take more defencive faceoffs. You want Ovi most of the time in the opponents end and before with Backström he got deployed more often in defencive faceoffs because of Backström beeing a good 2-way center. Its Eller who have stepped up so well that have been most impressive.
I agree. I really meant Eller but was referring to both sliding up as opposed to fitting a guy in on top line as a replacement. Still props to Backstrom given the hand injury, but agree not surprising otherwise.
Losing Kuznetsov is still a blow to the line up but the Caps have been resilient so far.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
They can put pins on it pretty fast and brace it. If he can hold a stick get him in the iced it’s the NHL and the cup finals. He can take a game to recover then he needs to play.

As someone who just recently broke his arms and needed surgery I laugh at that hard.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Looking at the video it doesn't appear that his wrist was caught out of alignment, so hopefully nothing too bad.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Fairly certain he separated his shoulder. The contact goes right into his shoulder area along the boards. If you look closely, his initial reaction is to reach for the shoulder but then he cups his arm. Anyone that's had a serious/painful separation will prob attest that's what you do to take pressure off the shoulder joint until they sling it or tape it to your body to remove the pressure from the joint.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
"Good clean hockey play"
-said every Caps player/coach/fan after every controversial Wilson hit

Weird when you're on the other side of it, no?

EDIT: "Vicious, predatory hit"
-said Barry Trotz after any contact resulting in a Caps player falling down

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You should always link video when being the OP of one of these posts.

Kuzy is low and making a pass and in a vulnerable position.

McNabb comes in to make a check, after the check his arms go flailing around and catch Kuzy in the face.

He did not leave the ice until impact. Him leaving the ice is a result of the impact. See clipped image below. He is making contact and both skates are on the ice. Watch the second angle video it's easier to see there. He did not jump as you stated. I know you're a fan but look at the evidence and take your fan glasses off for a second.

BrePSBV.jpg

I do not believe McNabb intended to elbow him in the face. You can't say he did it on purpose. It wasn't even until after he made contact that his arm went up into his face. I think his arms went flailing due to the impact and caught Kuzy.

Either way he needs to control his arms, especially because Kuzy is in a vulnerable position. He could have also gotten a little lower in his stance. He see's Kuzy is low.. he should try to match that to prevent any incidental illegal contact.

I don't think this is suspension worthy. Fine worthy though. Keep control of your body.

Side note... any single cap fan that says this deserves a suspension and the Wilson hit on ZAR did not please just delete your post. That would be extremely hypocritical.

Solid post. Came here to make the same point about the elbow. He didn't lead with it and there was no real force behind it. It was just a result of the impact and had nothing to do with the injury.

Good hit as far as I'm concerned. The only case for a penalty would be to call contact to the head, though it was minimal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad