GDT: Capitals @ Devils

Halpysback*

If they rebuild Ovechkin has to be traded. He simply casts too big a shadow for a team to take on a vastly different identity with him. Other players pretty much don't come into their own because of it. Doesn't mean he's a bad player. Backstrom too. Pretty much entire core has to go sans Alzner, Orlov and maybe Carlson. Too many bad habits and defeatist legacy piled up to work their way out from under.

Last edited by a moderator:

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Do you really not understand? Erat's penalty isn't worse because the team happened to score on the PP. The PK unit could have just as easily prevented a goal and you would've mostly forgotten the penalty. Erat or whatever player you want to insert has nothing to do with whether the PK does its job afterward. His penalty is the same either way. Also it's "you're."

1. I never said it was Erats fault the goal was scored, look at my OP. It said thats twice this week he has taken a costly penalty. Which is true.

2. There is a thing as guys who take bad penalties at bad times and cost their teams. Even if its not a goal, but momentum, or even screwing up the flow of lines. (see Semin and Ribs)

3. Thanks for correcting my grammar, I'm new to this board and didn't know it was frowned upon. Glad your here to set me straight.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I wasn't sure what to laugh at the most on the Devils' first goal.......

1. The pass into the skates of Orlov.

2. Orlov thinking "oh****, Green has my back!!!!!????????"

3. Green thinking "I've gotchya covered this time Dima!!!!!!!"

4. Wilson's and Green's lack of communication.

5. Watching Green kinda slow down and let the shooter.......well you know shoot.

6. Wilson and Green pinching off the trailer together.

7. Poor Neuvy thinking......."wtf, Green you haven't played an odd man like that - ever.

8. Wilson then bowling over Neuvy.

9. Grab's skating by and thinking screw this team and goes back to the bench to call his agent.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
who qualifies as future? Johansson and Orlov? Carlson and Alzner? Just Schmidt and Carrick and Wilson?
what qualifies as any value? you think a 3rd or 4th round pick is all that chimera or brouwer bring? sure I can see it tough trading laich, but I'd say that assuming he is healthy that grabovski would be worth a pile at the deadline as a pending ufa. you think green has no value? really?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The chances of them rebuilding outright are very slim unless it's under the guise of no longer spending up to the cap. Even with the cap going up I'm not sure how easy it will be to move Laich, Erat & Neuvirth. I think they could get decent value back for Brouwer, albeit maybe not as much as he was worth this past off-season. Hard to say on Green but teams that have longstanding blueline issues ought to give him a shot considering how weak this summer's UFA D crop is for teams in that sort of situation. Those are really all reloading moves--again, assuming cap space is used wisely--and the chances of them rolling with as inexperienced a 4-6D group under new management as they are now seems remote. I have no idea how they really expect to compete with this 4-6D group. It's unacceptable.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Who are you trading for any value?
There is no one here to get value back unless you are selling the future.

I disagree. GM's understand that players have up and down years. They watch video, not stat sheets. Even struggling players have value and other teams have struggling players. Change of scenery trades work often. I think we have to look for those and other creative options.

There's plenty of tradable youth right now to package with draft picks and vets to acquire a few key contributors and shift the identity of this team IMO.

It takes a COMPENTENT team architect.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I disagree. GM's understand that players have up and down years. They watch video, not stat sheets. Even struggling players have value and other teams have struggling players. Change of scenery trades work often. I think we have to look for those and other creative options.

There's plenty of tradable youth right now to package with draft picks and vets to acquire a few key contributors and shift the identity of this team IMO.

It takes a COMPENTENT team architect.

Yup. The only players on the Caps that I'd be skeptical of having value would be Neuvirth (due to how backup goalies are valued), Erat (due to sucking), and Laich (due to injury uncertainly).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad