GDT: Capitals @ Devils

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
As much as it pains me to feel this way, good...another dagger into McPhee

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Ovechkin has any input in such questions... :help:

you would be shocked? I sure wouldn't be. I am not saying I think its the case, but you have to consider the possibility. I mean....we ask how come after all this fail McPhee still has that job? right? you see people say that ov must be at the end of his rope. unless.....ive heard crazier stuff

Liberati0n*

you would be shocked? I sure wouldn't be. I am not saying I think its the case, but you have to consider the possibility. I mean....we ask how come after all this fail McPhee still has that job? right? you see people say that ov must be at the end of his rope. unless.....ive heard crazier stuff

When has a hockey player tried to get his GM fired because the team wasn't winning? The worst he could do is, as mentioned, ask for a trade, and, as mentioned, that would probably doom GMGM. The fact that he hasn't done it doesn't mean he's endorsed management on any level.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
The patients running the asylum?

The only plausible explanation I've heard is that Leonsis doesn't like to fire people. At some point even he has to admit defeat. His investment is going down the tubes and the one generational talent that fell into his lap is about to have ANOTHER year of his prime wasted.

I used to think my worst fear was a career ending injury to one of our core players. Now it's GMGM will be extended this summer.

czechster

Jul 7, 2006
I think the result you saw tonight is going to be the norm for the rest of the year. When you start 3 AHL defensemen and all you have is lots of 3rd line talent in your top 6 like brouwer/laich/fehr then you are kinda doomed.

I think what they really need to shake up the organization with some trades but what they need most are defensemen and those are hard to aquire unless you develop your own or overpay during free agency. So sadly they will probably just continue to tread water on the fringe of the playoffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
When has a hockey player tried to get his GM fired because the team wasn't winning? The worst he could do is, as mentioned, ask for a trade, and, as mentioned, that would probably doom GMGM. The fact that he hasn't done it doesn't mean he's endorsed management on any level.

I am not the one that has been asking how is it possible that McPhee hasn't been fired.
It gets asked a lot here, though. it gets asked with perplexed amazement.

if you are not willing to consider that maybe that the golden goose has a comfort zone and strength of personality enough to voice his loyalty to the powers that be, I don't know.

Michael Jordan and Jerry Krause hated each other as if they were competing for control.

All I know is that Ov negotiated his own deal with McPhee.

I have no investment whether gm stays or goes. If he stays, you guys are going to go off the deep end. at that point you are going to ask why?

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I just can't imagine any scenario where Ovechkin can look at what's happening around him and put his faith in McPhee to build a stanley cup caliber team around him in the next few years.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I am not the one that has been asking how is it possible that McPhee hasn't been fired.
It gets asked a lot here, though. it gets asked with perplexed amazement.

if you are not willing to consider that maybe that the golden goose has a comfort zone and strength of personality enough to voice his loyalty to the powers that be, I don't know.

Michael Jordan and Jerry Krause hated each other as if they were competing for control.

All I know is that Ov negotiated his own deal with McPhee.

I have no investment whether gm stays or goes. If he stays, you guys are going to go off the deep end. at that point you are going to ask why?

No. At that point I'll ask Leonsis if his goal since the day he took over was to be the most incompetent owner in North American sports and whether he's proud of his achievement.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I just can't imagine any scenario where Ovechkin can look at what's happening around him and put his faith in McPhee to build a stanley cup caliber team around him in the next few years.

how many caps scenarios of the lenth of the franchise would you have imagined before they happened?

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
After watching that reprehensible Game 7, I lost all hope that this core, at least with this FO and coaching, would ever be good. We've seen this too many times in recent seasons. George needs to go immediately.

I lost all faith and became officially "emotionally detached" after that Montreal series in the playoffs.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I haven't figured out if this team stands around so much because a) they don't know what they're supposed to do in the system; b) they think they're so good that they can pass their way through/around everyone; c) they don't care; d) they have all come down with wonky groin syndrome.

Either way it's pretty ugly to watch. I don't begrudge Erat his penalty tonight because he, Chimera, Laich and Beagle were the only ones skating.

dcsfanatic

Dec 19, 2006
What some of us may need to accept is that Ted may be more like Abe Pollin than anyone would like to admit (favoring his NBA team much more than his NHL team).

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
What some of us may need to accept is that Ted may be more like Abe Pollin than anyone would like to admit (favoring his NBA team much more than his NHL team).

That's not the same thing as not wanting to spend the money on the CAPS. Which he has demonstrated that he's willing to do.

the way he is apparently very much like Pollin is his refusal to fire McPhee/Unseld no matter how bad the team gets.

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
winning

tough to win games when 4 of your top six are playing no better then third line players, power play that was once top of the league now is somewhere near the bottom, and a penalty kill that also was also once the top of the league is now somewhere near the middle. somewhere along the way the train has derailed and the only people to blame in my opinion is the coaches, they can't keep making excuses for the players with all the quality of ice time that are expected to do the job. maybe it's time to change them up for awhile to show them they are not put above the rest of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad