OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Watched 3 of the Untold series on Netflix…..each a documentary. Entertaining stuff.

Breaking Point - Mardy Fish (men’s Tennis)
Crime and Penalties - Danbury Trashers (Tony Soprano-type buys his 17 yr old son a UHL expansion franchise, they recreate the minor-league version of the Broadstreet Bullies).
Malice at The Palace - Pacers/Pistons brawl with the fans….

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Watched 3 of the Untold series on Netflix…..each a documentary. Entertaining stuff.

Breaking Point - Mardy Fish (men’s Tennis)
Crime and Penalties - Danbury Trashers (Tony Soprano-type buys his 17 yr old son a UHL expansion franchise, they recreate the minor-league version of the Broadstreet Bullies).
Malice at The Palace - Pacers/Pistons brawl with the fans….
The Untold stuff is great. Started Crime and Penalties last night and really enjoyed it.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
So started Midnight Mass on Netlix. From the guy who made Haunting of Hill House and Haunting of Bly Manor. Pretty interesting so far (2 out of 7 episodes), but more like Bly Manor's just eerie creepiness than Hill House's sheer terror.

It's interesting in that it's also a look at religion (in this case Catholicism) and the lives of these Northeastern Islanders (Maine, New England, Newfoundland fishing village islands) that are shrinking and the growing sense of isolation.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
So started Midnight Mass on Netlix. From the guy who made Haunting of Hill House and Haunting of Bly Manor. Pretty interesting so far (2 out of 7 episodes), but more like Bly Manor's just eerie creepiness than Hill House's sheer terror.

It's interesting in that it's also a look at religion (in this case Catholicism) and the lives of these Northeastern Islanders (Maine, New England, Newfoundland fishing village islands) that are shrinking and the growing sense of isolation.
I absolutely crushed this one. I like playing the "oh what's this" game with these shows and this one I honestly got almost beat for beat. I'm curious to see what others make of it because I'm torn between it being a little clumsy, and 3 series just being enough time to pick up on the guy's style. I also feel like all the Catholicism keeps (accidentally or otherwise) making the terror feel very real, like every time you go "oh shit that's a real person" it's absolutely terrifying.

One thing drove me actually crazy though
Can you people just say the word vampire? Like one time, please, just acknowledge that the winged beast that burns in the sunlight, feeds on blood, and converts you by giving you its blood is a goddamn vampire? Can one single skeptic be like "what do you mean angels that's vampires dawg" and just get it out there?

I want to do more spoilers when normal people finish the series but I punched right through it

Last edited:
Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I absolutely crushed this one. I like playing the "oh what's this" game with these shows and this one I honestly got almost beat for beat. I'm curious to see what others make of it because I'm torn between it being a little clumsy, and 3 series just being enough time to pick up on the guy's style. I also feel like all the Catholicism keeps (accidentally or otherwise) making the terror feel very real, like every time you go "oh shit that's a real person" it's absolutely terrifying.

Can you people just say the word vampire? Like one time, please, just acknowledge that the winged beast that burns in the sunlight, feeds on blood, and converts you by giving you its blood is a goddamn vampire? Can one single skeptic be like "what do you mean angels that's vampires dawg" and just get it out there?

I want to do more spoilers when normal people finish the series but I punched right through it

I'm afraid to click on the spoiler until I finish the series up. I think I'm right at the end of Episode 4. I need to catch up :laugh:

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I just want to strangle Bev Keane. And lol at your spoiler. I guess it wouldn't fit in with their logic and reasoning while explaining it to Riley all day.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I just want to strangle Bev Keane. And lol at your spoiler. I guess it wouldn't fit in with their logic and reasoning while explaining it to Riley all day.
Well I liked it for certain characters, and didn't like it for others.
Like, one thing I really liked about this show is that the Monsignor's position is completely stable. He's pretty obviously a fairly good man of faith at the end of his natural life, and so when the supernatural happens he turns towards his faith for answers, and the ones he finds are really logically consistent. When he talks about accepting the things he cannot change regarding his own taste for blood and taking it out of his own hands, that's really interesting as a character. Too many "bad guys" would just flip and start shouting crazy shit at some point or giving in to their own god complex but he doesn't, he's entirely himself all the way through the show, and his rationale for having seen an "angel" is good enough that I can believe he wouldn't seriously consider alternatives. After all vampires don't exist but angels must, right?

I don't understand why none of Riley, Erin, the Sherriff, or the Doctor weren't like "seriously you guys don't see how this is vampires" though. It's clearly fairly modern day and they're all plenty intelligent people, even if it's just to say "oh yeah over time angels totally created the vampire myth" it just seems like there was too much overlap to never address. When they're happier calling it a viral infection than vampires I was like "okay that maybe true but still f*** you".

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Well I liked it for certain characters, and didn't like it for others.
Like, one thing I really liked about this show is that the Monsignor's position is completely stable. He's pretty obviously a fairly good man of faith at the end of his natural life, and so when the supernatural happens he turns towards his faith for answers, and the ones he finds are really logically consistent. When he talks about accepting the things he cannot change regarding his own taste for blood and taking it out of his own hands, that's really interesting as a character. Too many "bad guys" would just flip and start shouting crazy shit at some point or giving in to their own god complex but he doesn't, he's entirely himself all the way through the show, and his rationale for having seen an "angel" is good enough that I can believe he wouldn't seriously consider alternatives. After all vampires don't exist but angels must, right?

I don't understand why none of Riley, Erin, the Sherriff, or the Doctor weren't like "seriously you guys don't see how this is vampires" though. It's clearly fairly modern day and they're all plenty intelligent people, even if it's just to say "oh yeah over time angels totally created the vampire myth" it just seems like there was too much overlap to never address. When they're happier calling it a viral infection than vampires I was like "okay that maybe true but still f*** you".

Is that spoiler safe to click lol? I just finished episode 5. Just 6 and 7 to go.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Is that spoiler safe to click lol? I just finished episode 5. Just 6 and 7 to go.
Probably be safer after 6 but there are no conclusion-type spoilers, just little context things like who may speak to who in the future.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just watched the first episode of Manifest last night. I've wanted to watch it but didn't want to get into a situation where I was hooked on a show that got cancelled and I never got to see it play out, so I was waiting to see if Netflix or someone else picked up a Season 4. When I heard Netflix committed to a 20-episode 4th and final season I took the plunge. Really interesting concept for a show so far, almost like a reverse Lost (which I never ended up finishing).

I think Revolution was the show that got canned in the middle and left me hanging that irritated me the most. I normally don't watch shows in real-time for that exact reason.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Just watched the first episode of Manifest last night. I've wanted to watch it but didn't want to get into a situation where I was hooked on a show that got cancelled and I never got to see it play out, so I was waiting to see if Netflix or someone else picked up a Season 4. When I heard Netflix committed to a 20-episode 4th and final season I took the plunge. Really interesting concept for a show so far, almost like a reverse Lost (which I never ended up finishing).

I think Revolution was the show that got canned in the middle and left me hanging that irritated me the most. I normally don't watch shows in real-time for that exact reason.

I follow the exact strategy for most series….I like to wait until I hear season 2 has been approved, mostly for network series because they’re so volatile.

like La Brea, I want to watch, but fully expect it to be cancelled, so I’ll wait.

I am watching Y:The last man, totally digging it (love me some Diane Lane)…..very good. Waiting on more episodes to queue up…

I too might watch Manifest now that I know it’s ending properly….

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Life was one for me. So good to start, then they got cancelled and wrapped it all up super fast and stupidly.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad