Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Bruins 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
"If this is a suspendable play then all hitting really is going to probably have to be removed because [Wilson] didn't take any strides, he didn't target the head, a player was up against the boards, he was upright and Tom hit him hard," Laviolette said. "I hope the player's OK, but, for me, the call I think was correct on the ice last night. This hit happens so many times through the course of the game where somebody hits somebody against the boards and so I think we're still hopeful that Tom will be available to us."

Logic, but......You know.....Tom Wilson

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Repeat offender has a shelf life. Its like a probation period. If you get another suspension inside a certain period you get a longer suspension. Wilson has been clean well past that period. You know. Like points on your driver's license

I read the player safety FAQ and it said 18mo period since last suspension is used to determine "repeat offender" for salary loss, but they can take ANY past history into account for length of next suspension.

So Willy might be up shit creek if the NHL is feeling cranky.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Repeat offender has a shelf life. Its like a probation period. If you get another suspension inside a certain period you get a longer suspension. Wilson has been clean well past that period. You know. Like points on your driver's license

This is more of an opinion than a fact. DOPS has explicitly stated on multiple occasions that all player history is used in determining discipline. Repeat offender status has absolutely nothing to do with discipline and is only relevant to the way salary loss in calculated, games vs calendar days.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Not meant to be taken so literal...he got it.

I know. I just wanted to insert that mental image. I imagine she wears a Viking helmet, eats meat off a trencher, and spits into a spitoon every Caps offensive zone penalty.

Last edited:

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
This is more of an opinion than a fact. DOPS has explicitly stated on multiple occasions that all player history is used in determining discipline. Repeat offender status has absolutely nothing to do with discipline and is only relevant to the way salary loss in calculated, games vs calendar days.
I think it will be 7-10 games.

There is a severe lack of discipline on this team. That fact he is going to get a lengthy suspension is beyond comprehension. I blame Wilson, and everyone in that locker room.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I think it will be 7-10 games.

There is a severe lack of discipline on this team. That fact he is going to get a lengthy suspension is beyond comprehension. I blame Wilson, and everyone in that locker room.

We handled the whole Frederic situation very poorly, no question about it. There is no scenario where the oldest team in the league should allow itself to get this riled up over a young player, trying to be an effective pest. In three games against he caused Wilson to fight, Ovechkin to nutshot him and was a contributing factor in Wilson showing some very poor judgement. All they had to do was take the little jabs/slashes/glove dropping until the guy inevitable took a penalty. That would have been the end of that.

Oh, yeah. Frederic scored a really nice goal in yesterday's fiasco. I couldn't script it much crappier than it actually turned out. A disappointing situation.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
They always f*** Willy so I am taking the over.

I will say 20 games for a legal hit.
I'm of the opinion that this will either end up being 0 games or 20

I do remember Wilson once being offered a hearing and then walking out without a suspension-- not saying that it's at all likely at this point-- I bet they throw the book at him for a hit that is, by the rules, legal.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
If he gets 20 for that hit the caps better go full attack on the NHL. You just can’t make up stuff because you feel like it.

it would also send a bad message. Get suspended and now even if you fly right we may still come after you. There is no ability to “fix” your game and you will be heald to a different standard. Not a good move.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I believe he's better than what we see this year but in order to show that he needs to work his butt off every game and I just don't see the passion and desire for that. Ofc the age has a say in that but hey, I don't know, rumors say he wants 12 a year on his contract..Brother if you want that much this level of play aint gonna cut it.

Agreed. And Gretzky's goal record is looking very very safe. I don't see him getting there :(

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
LOL wtf does liking the team have to do with having an opinion on an ugly hit with an even uglier result? You sound like former President Bush: "you're either with us or against us" :laugh:
So here’s the thing. It’s like a bad outcome in medicine, sometimes it sucks but it doesn’t always mean the doc screwed up. Sure it was an ugly hit and result, that doesn’t mean there was fault. If you don’t believe there should be any checking along the boards, then push for a rule change.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
So here’s the thing. It’s like a bad outcome in medicine, sometimes it sucks but it doesn’t always mean the doc screwed up. Sure it was an ugly hit and result, that doesn’t mean there was fault. If you don’t believe there should be any checking along the boards, then push for a rule change.

I've already stated a few pages back: I didn't like the hit. It looked bad. And I know that Caps fans are adamantly defending it as a legal hit with an unfortunate outcome, and saying that Wilson didn't do anything wrong.

But it doesn't matter, because you are all seen as being biased. Fair enough, it's impossible to appear otherwise. There were plenty of people on HF Boards who already disliked the Caps before this, and plenty more who hate Wilson.
This is just fuel to the fire. It's basically impossible for any of them to react in a sensible manner. If Marchand had done this it would be the same. Or Matthew Tkachuk. There are certain players who are one bad hit or slash or cross check away from
drawing the collective ire and outrage of the other 30 teams fanbases. Unfortunately Wilson is one of them, and now he, and we must face the consequences.

This isn't a good look for our team. And it comes at a time when they'd won 4 in a row and were really starting to play well. Line combinations were clicking, defence was playing well, and the team looked like they had adjusted to Lavi's system.
Now they are waiting to find out how many games Wilson is going to get. Now they have all of this unwanted scrutiny - we already seem to get called for trivial penalties. Is that because the Caps are viewed as too physical, or a dirty team? If so then
it's likely going to be even worse now. There is also a real possibility that other teams will now step up and come out playing a more physical game against us. I think there's also a chance that one of our players gets injured from a cheap shot.

So yeah. I think the timing is terrible and it could really derail the team. I think it already has. That must have been a very quiet locker room during the intermission after Carlo got injured. Our guys came out and got their asses handed to them.
What does that say about the team mindset? Were they rattled by what happened? I don't know how else you explain their failure to show up for the 2nd and 3rd periods?

Reactions: Misery74

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Not sure I’m getting your point. Don’t hit hard in case it details the season? How did that work out in the 2018 playoffs?

As for hating the Caps, did it take Matt Cooke to make us hate Pittsburgh? Did anyone give us love in the 2019 playoffs when Oshie was boarded into an injury? It’s the nature of being a sports fan.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
There’s significant contact to the head regardless of whether there was initial contact to the chest.
Tom took a bad line on a hit and caught a guy in a bad spot. 9 times out of 10 that same hit doesn’t get the head like that and no one gets hurt.
Wilson didnt take a bad line. The problem was that Carlo put himself in a vulneable position just before the hit. Once that happened there was nothing Wilson could do. If the league is serious about safety they need to educate these young players. Teach them how to take a hit. Players are unaware of whats going on around them.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Wilson didnt take a bad line. The problem was that Carlo put himself in a vulneable position just before the hit. Once that happened there was nothing Wilson could do. If the league is serious about safety they need to educate these young players. Teach them how to take a hit. Players are unaware of whats going on around them.
More than that even, Wilson was coming in low, compact and shoulder to shoulder but then got the butt-end of Carlo's stick in the face. It was inadvertent on Carlo's part, but Willy flinched and stood up as a result. That changed the angle of the hit. The whole thing was accidental, reflexive, and happened in a fraction of a second, so to blame Willy for a bad hit is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad