Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Bruins 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
By the rules that is a legal hit. If your going to suspend guys just because somebody gets hurt then you need to take hitting out of the game.

that hit is made every game, just usually not by somebody Wilson’s size.
From what I have read, this hearing isnt for a hit to the head because it didn't meet the criteria. The hearing is for boarding, but the hit clearly wasn't boarding. Initial contact was the chest.
Is the league changing rules and guidelines specifically for Tom Wilson?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
From what I have read, this hearing isnt for a hit to the head because it didn't meet the criteria. The hearing is for boarding, but the hit clearly wasn't boarding. Initial contact was the chest.

who knows maybe they tell him to calm down agian and it’s more to show the rest of the NHL they are watching things. If they pull a suspension they will need to answer why dudes aren’t getting suspended every night

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Hypothetically, if this incident involves a random physical player, with no prior history, 5 minute major assessed on the play, otherwise uneventful shift - I think, it's 2 games.

No major - 3 games. Lot's of running around prior to the incident - might bump it up to 4 games. It's Tom Wilson. If we come in at or under 8 games, I'll call it a win.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Six or more games for THAT? Hysterical. It is absolutely reputational to deem it in that category (and he's technically not a repeat offender IINM).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

That would not be new

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's another blood for the blood god situation. They're going to sacrifice TW to satisfy the shrieking hordes with bones in their noses and spears in their hands.

As is custom the league will release a video detailing what happened and breaking down why they did what they did.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
They are really going to have to twist and warp things to justify a lengthy suspension.

Normally that would set a precident for future rulings but this is the hypocritical, idiotic NHL so it won't.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ya the behind the glass angle really gives you the perfect point of view to see exactly what happened during the hit that turned it from a clean body check to a hit that injured Carlo. Tom's coming in to hit Carlo, maybe a little hot, but he's going to attempt to perform a legal body check, and Carlo, in securing the puck and pivoting, pushes the end of his stick out and towards Wilson's face. Wilson flinches at it and tries to avoid it, which screws up his angle of attack on the hit attempt. The butt-end of the stick hits him anyway, and the flinch turns the hit from Wilson being able to guide himself into Carlo's chest to just a straight collision with nobody protecting themselves.

Also, the Vrana crosscheck nonsense is almost funny if you look at it objectively. He gives Carlo one standard cross-check to the back to try and establish position before realizing he's really hurt and backing away immediately. Grzelcyk gives him a cross-check, either in retaliation for his initial cross-check or to try and establish his position, which causes Vrana to whiplash back to his initial position. Since he hasn't changed the position of his hands or his stick, it looks like he comes back to cross-check him again, but really it's just the momentum from the Grzelcyk cross-check combined with Carlo continuing to crumple. You can see that he knows Carlo is hurt because of how he bends at the waist to try not to fall on him. He falls anyway and basically tries to drop his stick as soon as he realizes it, and turns towards Grzelcyk to basically say to him, help me up he's hurt, and Grzelcyk does just that.

glad I wasn’t the only one who saw this..

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know this.

The most likely explanation for the DOPS giving Tom Wilson hearings more frequently than other players is that Tom Wilson breaks the rules and injures people more frequently than other players. Sure is a simpler explanation than it being some grand conspiracy or kangaroo court.

you’re that guy who always sides with the girls in the group aren’t you....do you even like our team?

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Well, if that is the case that he gets a significant suspension then the Caps, the media, fans alike should watch every Boston game very carefully and mount a campaign to complain about any Bruin check along the boards. It will happen. If the NHL is going to establish a precedent of disciplining not based on rules but on optics, it’s a Pandora’s box.

Reactions: Calicaps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well, if that is the case that he gets a significant suspension then the Caps, the media, fans alike should watch every Boston game very carefully and mount a campaign to complain about any Bruin check along the boards. It will happen. If the NHL is going to establish a precedent of disciplining not based on rules but on optics, it’s a Pandora’s box.

Don't even have to look very far. The Frederic trip/push that started all this 2 games ago went unpunished but had more arguable intent than the Wilson hit last night.

The Frederic play:

Guy far enough from the boards for contact to be dangerous? Check.
Puck nowhere near the play? Check.
From behind? Check.
Stick in the skate used to trip? Check.
Obvious shove from behind as the vulnerable player is going down and into the boards? Check.

Injury? Not obvious. Which is one reason there's no howling for a hearing.

If Carlo doesn't whip his head into the boards from the off-balance position he just put himself in, then he doesn't get his bell run and he doesn't crumple to the ice. And none of this handwringing takes place.

Once again the NHL and frothing masses reacting to the injury rather than the potential infraction.

Last edited:

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
There’s significant contact to the head regardless of whether there was initial contact to the chest.
Tom took a bad line on a hit and caught a guy in a bad spot. 9 times out of 10 that same hit doesn’t get the head like that and no one gets hurt.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Six or more games for THAT? Hysterical. It is absolutely reputational to deem it in that category (and he's technically not a repeat offender IINM).

As far as I can tell the repeat offender status applies only to salary lost, not on the potential length of the suspension.

If they deem it suspension-worthy it’s absolutely fair to consider his past suspension history when determining how many games he will get as punishment.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
what if he does an it’s just not there? :(
I believe he's better than what we see this year but in order to show that he needs to work his butt off every game and I just don't see the passion and desire for that. Ofc the age has a say in that but hey, I don't know, rumors say he wants 12 a year on his contract..Brother if you want that much this level of play aint gonna cut it.

Sep 19, 2008
"If this is a suspendable play then all hitting really is going to probably have to be removed because [Wilson] didn't take any strides, he didn't target the head, a player was up against the boards, he was upright and Tom hit him hard," Laviolette said. "I hope the player's OK, but, for me, the call I think was correct on the ice last night. This hit happens so many times through the course of the game where somebody hits somebody against the boards and so I think we're still hopeful that Tom will be available to us."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad