Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Bruins 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
This was, by any definition of the rules, a legal check that had ended up having very bad results.

As absurd as it is to see someone suspended for a lengthy amount of time when no penalty was called on the play, the NHL will want to do something to pretend to care about tramatic head injuries.

Eventually the NHL is going to get sued for hundreds of billions of dollars. They know this and they will overreact to something like this to make themselves look good. Call it virtue signalling.

In the 1980s this would have been a non event and New Jersey wouldn't have won any Cups as Scott Stevens would have had a very short career.

Just take hitting out of the game entirely. Get it over with now.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I still don’t see how that was an illegal hit. The principal point of contact was the shoulder and the follow through ended up on the head. It was an unfortunate play but he didn’t charge and had his feet on the ice.

I don’t think principal point of contact is relevant anymore. If you clip the shoulder and nail the guys head, it’s still a headshot.

But who knows anymore, the rules are so randomly enforced these days.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Main boards thread is the usual hysteria. People calling for refs to be suspended for missing a non-call? Laughable.

Wilson is coming....
11309366.jpg

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Boston fans came up as super naive in these last two games. I mean they applaud Frederick or whatever his name for getting under skin of our players and then are surprised and angry when they got reaction from the players. Did they expect absolute submission? This is a neanderthal league, it's naive to expect that you'll get nothing or "gentleman" reactions after you leaked someone, crosschecked and hit. I, for example, expect that the next game could be an absolute war. Or even the next games with other teams could be ugly, as they know our style of play and will likely hit more than they usually do.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I know this is in reference to our discussion before, and you're being intentionally obtuse about it. You know exactly what it means, and it doesn't boil down to one hit or one scoreline in one game.

If we lose an Ovechkin or Backstrom or Carlson etc to long-term IR due to some taxi squad plug taking cheap shots with no consequences, then what do you think the long-term effect is on the team, even the entire franchise? Surely worse than a hearing, or even suspension, in what we all know has been a kangaroo court aimed squarely at Tom Wilson since day 1.

Even if you don't believe there's a bias in the league against him based on his style of play then the calculation of risk/reward is the same.

I don't know this.

The most likely explanation for the DOPS giving Tom Wilson hearings more frequently than other players is that Tom Wilson breaks the rules and injures people more frequently than other players. Sure is a simpler explanation than it being some grand conspiracy or kangaroo court.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't care that much about the hit. It happens. The fights were decent...for 2021... which means linesmen jumping in as soon as they seen an opening. TW won or drew both of them. Tinordi and Frederic were looking for trouble and harassing other players so that's how she goes.

The real problem is how the rest of the team folded. Locker said they were focusing too much on the physical game but that's not what I saw. IMO they looked to be on their heels and trying to avoid the physicality the Bruins were bringing, which meant a lot of crappy positioning and passing and defense.

The scoresheet lists hits (yeah I know) as 34-22 Caps but I think that's misleading. Five Caps accounted for 21 of those 34 hits (Ovie, Wilson, Jensen, Chara, Dillon). That's the usual 2 guys up front and 3 D-men. A couple others tried to match the B's intensity but the rest of the team mostly just played a fractured, disorganized game.

Things like this can ignite a run, though. Teams can find an identity afterward. They have to tell themselves they'll do whatever it takes to not be embarrassed like that again.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't know this.

The most likely explanation for the DOPS is that Tom Wilson breaks the rules and injures people more frequently than other players, so he gets more hearings than other players. Sure is a simpler explanation than it being some grand conspiracy or kangaroo court.

No different than Ovechkin at his age. Ov might have been worse

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't know this. Seems like the most likely explanation is that Tom Wilson breaks the rules and injures people more frequently than other players. Sure is a more simple explanation than the grand conspiracy explanation that a lot of people here like to tout.

Rival fans and Caps fans who dislike Tom Wilson disagree about the bias, but the rest of us know it to be true. I'll PM you the data!

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
I do find it amusing on the main boards that the MODs are letting the anti Wilson folks run "wild" to an extent and Caps fans are getting warnings left and right..oh well. The internet is always fun...

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I don’t think principal point of contact is relevant anymore. If you clip the shoulder and nail the guys head, it’s still a headshot.

But who knows anymore, the rules are so randomly enforced these days.
The principal point of contact is the head in your example. Initial=\=principal

I do find it amusing on the main boards that the MODs are letting the anti Wilson folks run "wild" to an extent and Caps fans are getting warnings left and right..oh well. The internet is always fun...
Oh, global mods are trash on this site...shocker?
I don't know this.

The most likely explanation for the DOPS giving Tom Wilson hearings more frequently than other players is that Tom Wilson breaks the rules and injures people more frequently than other players. Sure is a simpler explanation than it being some grand conspiracy or kangaroo court.
Yeah, except Marchand just blows your nonsense out of the water. Blatant elbow to the face on your 10+ supplemental discipline action only netting 5 games? Maybe not kangaroo, but incompetent to a pathetic degree.

Last edited:

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Still incredible that we got this pretty messed up take from a lifetime pwha member. These types of people don’t actually have any honest concern for player safety, clearly. Just upset that their “team” was on the receiving end of it.

Exactly. The majority of people are upset for one of two reasons:

1. They hate Tom Wilson
2. They’re a Bruins fan and it happened to “their guy”

I would gain a lot more respect for Bruins fans crying right now if they admitted that if a Bruin had made that same hit on Nick Jensen, they wouldn’t have batted any eye.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Still incredible that we got this pretty messed up take from a lifetime pwha member. These types of people don’t actually have any honest concern for player safety, clearly. Just upset that their “team” was on the receiving end of it.

I looked at KPD's page and didnt see that tweet. Maybe he deleted it

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Rival fans and Caps fans who dislike Tom Wilson disagree about the bias, but the rest of us know it to be true. I'll PM you the data!

The 2 minutes for being Tom Wilson penality was a thing. He was clearly told of a zero tolerance and he got called for stuff that didnt happen. Ov got the same but not to the extent that Wilson did.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I dont blame Bruins fans. I don't agree with them, but I don't blame them. And to the other fans, who cares. So what. We are the big bad bullies again, the villains in your favorite show.

Which is fine by me. We won a Cup the last time other fans were up in arms against us.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Go look at the mainboard thread from MacKinnon taking an actual head shot a couple days ago. The overall 180 in reaction from that hit to this is comical.

I dont blame Bruins fans. I don't agree with them, but I don't blame them. And to the other fans, who cares. So what. We are the big bad bullies again, the villains in your favorite show.

Which is fine by me. We won a Cup the last time other fans were up in arms against us.
The issue is the league’s front office reacting like a team’s fanbase, and one of the better players potentially gone for the rest of the season for a legal hit.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Go look at the mainboard thread from MacKinnon taking an actual head shot a couple days ago. The overall 180 in reaction from that hit to this is comical.

The issue is the league’s front office reacting like a team’s fanbase, and one of the better players potentially gone for the rest of the season for a legal hit.

There probably will be a suspension for Tom if it's an in person meeting, but I doubt it's a season long one. And what can you do. Nothing but keep going. Win games. Beat these other f***s on the scoreboard. That's how you get even. That's how you get revenge. When Major Tom gets back, get even better.

Hope that the guys take yesterday and use it as a lesson to themselves. No sitting on any laurels from any game before. They aren't that good to do that. Keep playing harder, smarter, quicker, stronger. The next game even more so, and ramp it up even more the next game after that.

Otherwise, might as well just lay down and give up on what might be your last chance at being a champion again and play out the last remaining games as has-beens. If you are fine with that, fine. But if not, now is the time to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad