Post-Game Talk: Capitals at Rangers 12/8/2013

profchaos2001

Mar 2, 2012
The most disappointing area for us is 5 on 5. 4th worst in the league, ahead of only Nashville, Edmonton and Buffalo.

I remember when Tortorella said last season "we don't practice the power play", ostensibly because if your 5v5 isn't up to snuff, special teams should not be the focus. At the time I laughed at such a ridiculous statement. It seemed so stupid for a hockey coach to say that. Lo' and Behold.

Now, being productive on the power play has been nice, and the penalty kill pretty good, but our 5v5 is atrocious, and is costing us games. It seems like no one has any idea what the hell they're doing out there! Indecisive, floating, bad passing, and no forecheck from anyone besides Zucc.

Imagine if our record was among the bottom 4 in the league like it should be. In the dump with EDM, BUF, and NAS. There would be riots.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Falk is OK... I suppose he is more solid than Eminger. I think J. Moore is a usable 6th or 7th Dman...

In your opinion Rasp, who would stay on this team in the event that a complete gutting occurs this coming deadline?

Some more rants by me:

I'm not really for ripping the D apart, because it's been functioning fine. Needs to mature into the system AV is trying to implement. I still think the team is better suited for Zone Defense, and not Man-to-Man...

However, I think the reason why AV uses it is for line matching. BUT the strategy as a whole is very confusing once the team enters your own defensive zone, because you have 2 Defensemen going against 3 forwards, which now means you need your centerman to drop back.

None of our centermen our defensively-minded save stepan, so the strategy is showing the holes that we have seen. Couple that with our 5th thru 7th dman not being very fast, or making dumb decisions (the former MDZ, the latter JMoore), and you get the result of our current defense for the last 20 games (not all 30, because the first 10 nobody knew wtf was going on)

The only players I don't want touched in the event of a firesale are Steps, McD, Nash, Kreider, and Hank.

A few weeks ago Hags was on that list, but man, he's dogging it lately. Doing nothing at all.

Everyone can be had for the right price, however.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The only players I don't want touched in the event of a firesale are Steps, McD, Nash, Kreider, and Hank.

A few weeks ago Hags was on that list, but man, he's dogging it lately. Doing nothing at all.

Everyone can be had for the right price, however.

I would add Zucc to that list. Heart and soul, plays a pesky game, great vision. Dorsett sticks up for his team, thats why I had him on my list as well..

THAT should be the new core.

Beyond that, I would be opposed to stripping the rest of the D.. We should keep 2 additional on top of McD... Preferably Stralman and Moore (I know I know, he sucks hes lame, blah blah blah)...

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I would add Zucc to that list. Heart and soul, plays a pesky game, great vision. Dorsett sticks up for his team, thats why I had him on my list as well..

THAT should be the new core.

Beyond that, I would be opposed to stripping the rest of the D.. We should keep 2 additional on top of McD... Preferably Stralman and Moore (I know I know, he sucks hes lame, blah blah blah)...

I forgot about Zucc AND Dorsett lol. I don't want either of them going anywhere, they love being Rangers and are efficient.

I really want to keep Stralman but someone will really overpay for him. Hope we can lock him up for cheap.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I forgot about Zucc AND Dorsett lol. I don't want either of them going anywhere, they love being Rangers and are efficient.

I really want to keep Stralman but someone will really overpay for him. Hope we can lock him up for cheap.

You can't forget that some guys might want to take the discount just to stay in the lights of broadway. It's not like any other place here...

Regardless, This is a solid core:

Forwards:
Zucc
Kreider
Dorsett
Nash
Stepan

Defense:
McD
Stralman
MDZ
Moore
Falk

Goaltending:
Hank
Talbot

The rest can go, but I'll rate them in value from top to bottom (IMHO):
D. Moore (Would not be opposed to keeping for 4th line duties)
Richards (Possible he can stay if AV sees that value in him. PErsonally, I do, but I realize most want him gone)
Girardi
Brassard
Callahan
Hagelin
Staal
Boyle
Poo
Pyatt

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
I wish Ryan Callahan's grandmother would call him up and give him a piece of her mind...

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
You can't forget that some guys might want to take the discount just to stay in the lights of broadway. It's not like any other place here...

Other than stuff like "he could have got $9.5 on the open market but he took $8.5 to stay here" has anyone actually taken a discount to stay on Broadway? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but it is an idea that seems to crop up a lot

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Honestly, I know a lot of people wouldn't prefer this, but I think Brad Richards would make a fine captain.

Richards tells it like it is in the post game, takes personal accountability, genuinely has the attitude that their play is unacceptable, and Sam and Joe have said on numerous occasions that he is a leader in the locker room.

He is also a catalyst for the team offensively, etc. He shows leadership qualities.

I don't care if he is only a 60 point center, I think he is "the guy" that would make the best candidate to be captain w/ our current roster.

Take it for what you will. I know, he is an amnesty buy out, whatever. But right now, I'd rather have him leading our core than anyone else.

But people will flame me because Richards hasn't lived up to his massive contract. Oh well. Bring on the Richards hate.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
Other than stuff like "he could have got $9.5 on the open market but he took $8.5 to stay here" has anyone actually taken a discount to stay on Broadway? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but it is an idea that seems to crop up a lot

with the cost of living in NY and especially NYC being so high you would be stupid to leave money on the table.

People make it seem like NYR are some kind of awesome place for players to play. I guess I don't see it. Yes NYC is a nice place with lots to do etc etc and I can see how it would be nice for hockey players as the sport is barely on the radar here so they can walk amongst the pleebs. But the only thing I see as a plus to coming to NY is to get paid BIG $$$$ and not have to work hard for it.

We are the Valhalla of hockey has beens. This is the place as a player you dream about, big paychecks and low expectations. The land of milk and honey. Who would have thought the "Big Rock Candy Mountain" was in Manhattan

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I don't hate Richards but I just can't see the point. He already wears a letter, changing wont change his leadership abilities and it wont make his teammates interact with him any differently than they do now

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007

Lundqvist probably could have fetched over $9 million on the open market, especially for a team desperate for goaltending.

People need to realize that hometown discounts are extremely rare today.

Letang signed for nearly $7.5 million. Malkin signed for $9.5 million. Getzlaf and Perry signed for $8.25 million a piece. Giroux signed for $8.25 million. Rask just signed for $7 million as a RFA who hasn't even played a full season as a starter.

Outside of Tavares and Crosby, I can't think of many "mega stars" taking a home town discount. The only one on the above list that might have taken one was Malkin, because he could have gotten over $10 million on the open market, but it wasn't much of a discount.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I don't hate Richards but I just can't see the point. He already wears a letter, changing wont change his leadership abilities and it wont make his teammates interact with him any differently than they do now

The point is that he is probably the most deserving of it, especially this season.

Unless you strip Callahan of the C to send a message, and just leave the alternates.

Plus, I think Richards being named Captain would make him more vocal than he already is, and it would show all players on the roster that Callahan's compete level and attitude just isn't acceptable. If you continue to play with such an indifferent attitude, you're an asset that can be replaced.

No one on the team is routinely competing. And I know people hate Richards (not you, I'm glad to see there is at least one other person like me who doesn't hate him), but I like his attitude, outside of one slump he has been fairly consistent, and I like a player who is willing to me he didn't come prepared for a season, worked his ass off because it was unacceptable, and came back this season to the best shape he has been in during his tenure here. I think that speaks volumes about his character.

And it's not like Richards is playing with studs. His 60-65 point pace could be 70-75 points on a contender. He is doing just fine.

Puckface NYR*

I have no complaints with Richards this year, both on and off the ice. He isn't the player he used to be, but he is giving 110% every game.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Fataldogg, I can certainly see your point, it's just that to me switching an A to a C is the old 'rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic' move.

Changing the letter shouldn't be needed for Richards to be more vocal, he should just do it, same with everyone else in the leadership group regardless of letter.

Has Callahan done anything to deserve losing the C? His on-ice play has been poor, but what's he like at training, in the locker room and being that conduit between the playing group and the coaches/front office?

TankLarkin

Will Cuylle is Ready.
Mar 3, 2012
Rochester, NY
what I don't understand is how far we've dropped in terms of entertainment value. in 2010-2011 I remember being excited all day to get home and watch the Rangers play -- even if it was against a crap team. Now, they're a painfully boring team 90% of every game. Unforgiveable given the $$$ Sather has to spend.

Nash is past his prime.
Losing Prust hurt the team identity bad.
I don't think Torts would have put up with this "soft team" crap.
AV is not the right guy. Hire Guy Boucher.
I love to know what Hank really thinks about the 180 this team has taken.
I just want it to be the way it was, damnit.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
what I don't understand is how far we've dropped in terms of entertainment value. in 2010-2011 I remember being excited all day to get home and watch the Rangers play -- even if it was against a crap team. Now, they're a painfully boring team 90% of every game. Unforgiveable given the $$$ Sather has to spend.

Nash is past his prime.

This just isn't true. I also miss Prust. I don't think AV is the problem.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Fataldogg, I can certainly see your point, it's just that to me switching an A to a C is the old 'rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic' move.

Changing the letter shouldn't be needed for Richards to be more vocal, he should just do it, same with everyone else in the leadership group regardless of letter.

Has Callahan done anything to deserve losing the C? His on-ice play has been poor, but what's he like at training, in the locker room and being that conduit between the playing group and the coaches/front office?

I don't think it's what would change about Richards... It's more about how the other players would realize that someone else is now in charge on the ice and in the locker room...

Basically, it changes how the team perceives it's leader. Like what was said, lets the rest of the team understand that Callahan hasn't been doing it right

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
As long as we believe we need coaches who scare the **** out of players to inspire respect, we're not going anywhere. We need someone players can't bear to disappoint.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Any player not blowing us away for a stretch after age 27 becomes "on the decline"

Puckface NYR*

Nash is past his prime.

Going to ignore the Nash part since that's just blatantly untrue. The Rangers were soft last year under Torts. Guy Boucher....he's not even remotely close to AV. And hank just signed a 7 year deal, so I'd say he's not happy with losing, but he's locked into this team forever.

I want it to be 94 every year. But winning wouldnt be special if that was the case now would it. It's the struggles that makes winning great. Unfortunately, this team likes to constantly remind us of that, and occasionally makes us lose our minds causing us to spout things that we know aren't true....

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
He says the same ******** after every loss. I hate his attitude, and have for a while now. No fire, no anger.

Henrik is the one player on this team that actually gets ANGRY when they lose. He HATES to lose. We need more players who have the same attitude as him instead of Callahan's canned, politically correct answers after every game. It's truly OLD and played out.

Who cares what a captain says or what anyone says.

Some of you seem to believe that if Callahan threw a chair during the interview that players who have no offensive gifts would start scoring goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad