Pre-Game Talk: Capitals 2018 trade deadline thread (Bob Mckenzie says caps in on notable defenders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I'd move Carlson out for EK in a heartbeat. The issue here is the Carlson is a UFA and is likely going to double his current cap hit with his next contract. The issue with Melnyk is that he's a cheap bum who lost Turris because he didn't want to pay him and is about to lose EK as well. I can't see the Sens trading away EK for a pending UFA defenseman whom they'd immediately have to cut a giant check to.

The Sens are really intriguing as a trade partner though. Duchene, Hoffman, Karlsson, Stone, Pageau... if GMBM wanted to pull off a blockbuster shake up jettisoning Carlson and/or Backstrom then Ottawa could make a lot of sense as a trade partner.

I would love to have EK on this team as much as any fan but there is some cold hard reality on that front.

Carlson is a UFA and would have to open negotiations to re-sign with Ottawa to be a part of any deal. Would you voluntarily commit to Ottawa right now?
Niskanen has a NTC. Chances that Ottawa is not on it? Around 0%.
Backstrom? See Niskanen.

That's all she wrote.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Alright. We are in the final stretch. Predict what the Caps do or don't do.

I predict the Caps stand pat, fall to a wildcard spot, and flame out in the first round.

What can I say, I'm a positive guy. :help:

Last edited:
Reactions: Holtbyisms

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Wild put Chris Stewart on waivers. $1.15 million contract, UFA at season's end. His play used to impress, not so sure how he's doing these days. Could Caps squeeze him or would someone have to go?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
holy that was a crazy 15 mins when lucas johansen was scratched at the last second. apparently its a lower body injury but dang they took way too long to say the reason

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
holy that was a crazy 15 mins when lucas johansen was scratched at the last second. apparently its a lower body injury but dang they took way too long to say the reason
Probably just like vrana scratched for chaisson because of his "play"... If we're truly in on a big name defender per McKenzie then our two most tradeable assets are vrana and lujo.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We would have to care for us to be salty....I think.

When your best beats N.A’s or Sweden’s or Finland’s best for the gold....salt will be served.....until then, you can pretend all you want about 2018.

I’m very happy that the best game was the gold medal. Entertainment value was high given that most of the rest was laregely unwatchable.

Let’s hope 2022 will be back to the real players.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Like once every 10 years does a Norris defender in their prime become avaible to trade. I would blow things up for the chance to add EK. Trade whatever it takes that isn't core.

Sens seem to want cheap pieces so Trade them all the picks and prospects it takes then

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad