Post-Game Talk: Capital Punishment

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So then we are basically f***ed then if Lindgren is out long term.

Sort of, yeah, but you can't carry reserves with the cap where it is. That's something our competition will also be dealing with.

I wasn't including Mikkola in that. He's only been here for 7-8 games.

Well, Schneider basically defends at an NHL level.

My problem with him is that I don't think we have a shot on goal with him on the ice since he scored against Colorado.

That also describes Mikkola so I'm concerned about their long-term health as a pair.

It's not just "his partners have been garbage," which they have been. Schneider needs to be carried in the transition game, and there isn't a partner available in this league right now, on your third pair, who can do that, so he's a bit of a liability.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Screenshot (246).png

You can't run this for the last 20 if Lindgren is out for the rest of the regular season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Miller is almost 100% athletic ability. There's nothing really wrong with that, and it allows him to do awesome things, and recover when his positioning and reads are bad, but the fact it's all physical attributes means there will be times when he just gets overwhelmed until he develops more game sense
Also, he's talented enough that we should be able to work on him giving and receiving passes.

That's back to this organization's inability to have their guys do basic skills somehow.

Even Zibanejad, who is amazing, can't really stick-handle at the most remedial level and it's incredible to me, in a bad way.

In his defense, a guy like Schneider who needs actual work is in big trouble here.

People say "oh we suck at developing forwards, it's not the defense." It's them too. None of them can pass.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Also, he's talented enough that we should be able to work on him giving and receiving passes.

That's back to this organization's inability to have their guys do basic skills somehow.

Even Zibanejad, who is amazing, can't really stick-handle at the most remedial level and it's incredible to me, in a bad way.

In his defense, a guy like Schneider who needs actual work is in big trouble here.

People say "oh we suck at developing forwards, it's not the defense." It's them too. None of them can pass.
no one improves or sharpens their puck skills here.

whatever they do for skill drills, sucks. It doesn't work.

Patty Kane will turn into a flubbing no thumb moron here

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
no one improves or sharpens their puck skills here.

whatever they do for skill drills, sucks. It doesn't work.

Patty Kane will turn into a flubbing no thumb moron here
Not getting better is one thing but I don't get how it deteriorates, and so quickly.

Tarasenko, not to pile on him, already looks like a grinder.

Literally, how??? What do they tell these guys??

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Not remotely concerned about not getting the 2 points but very concerned that Gallant can’t keep the team focused on the task at hand

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Not getting better is one thing but I don't get how it deteriorates, and so quickly.

Tarasenko, not to pile on him, already looks like a grinder.

Literally, how??? What do they tell these guys??
They tell them, "Welcome to NYC...here's your key to the city. Have fun not paying for a drink for the rest of your time here".

The country club mentality sinks in fast.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Offensive inability is a massive under the radar problem with our defense.

Miller is good at some things but he's astonishingly bad at what he's bad at, passing at the top of the list. Lindgren sucks at anything to do with the puck, period, exclamation point, .com. Trouba is a linebacker and that's not a position in the NHL. Mikkola is a body. Braden Schneider f***ing SUUUUUCCCKKKKKS and I hate bringing it up because he's young and physical which means he could get away with shooting the pope on here, but 101 games in he's still dog ass at both ends of the rink. Say what you will about Kaapo Bustto and Alexis Labustiere but they're way more effective hockey players and nobody talks about it.

PP2 is a massive joke because one of these clowns is always on it.

Fox is generational with the puck but he's also the only defenseman we have who's NHL-caliber with it.
Nailed it.

Reactions: Machinehead

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Not remotely concerned about not getting the 2 points but very concerned that Gallant can’t keep the team focused on the task at hand
I get it, it's kind of a big deal adding Patrick Kane.

but we've been shit ever since the Calgary game... Got way too loose for offense, lost all structure and now we lost focus and intensity. Can't finish. Not a good combination.

All the top players look bad, including Fox. You know something is off.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I could also be convinced that Gallant just sucks and we need a PMD.

Like, that's a thing that's possible.
I don't watch heaps of other teams, but when watching around the league I'm consistently impressed/depressed by how other teams breakout compared too us.
Our D can't pass and there's no structure/plan to help bail them out

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I don't watch heaps of other teams, but when watching around the league I'm consistently impressed/depressed by how other teams breakout compared too us.
Our breakout is pathetic and has been for a while. We just throw it up the boards to a man who just stands there and doesnt move.

And then we usually keep playing the puck back toward our net to “regroup”, which really just means eventually throw the puck in the o zone and give up possession.

Its pathetic and has been. Its why we need a new coach.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

For a team that supposedly can't stick handle and pass they are 12th in scoring. Fans of nearly every team complain about this.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
that involves X's and O's... we dont do that.

• Haha
Reactions: mike14

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

They also have a type they love to target. Big, athletic, rangy but maybe with limited puck skills. Kreider, Miller, Schneider, Skjei, even Fil. At least in the 1st round.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Our breakout is pathetic and has been for a while. We just throw it up the boards to a man who just stands there and doesnt move.

And then we usually keep playing the puck back toward our net to “regroup”, which really just means eventually throw the puck in the o zone and give up possession.

Sure, and we have to like, not hire the same coach again. That's a problem.

Every coach since Torts has been bad at getting them to do the same things, and every coach BUT Torts had enough talent to do basic things.

The organization doesn't seem to value it. They have their token OFD and everyone else is evaluated on hitting and blocking. They're not going to hire guys with a breakout scheme. They traded Zubov!

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I really don't think that's it. You don't need a ton of effort to have basic skills.

Zibanejad is good at harder things than what he's bad at. So is Panarin.
That was an attempt at satire.

The real issue is deeply rooted & probably not easily identified. Just an overall mindset that's carried over since before Kreider was here. It's obviously pervaded from end of the Jagr era til today....but the only common denominator is Glen Sather.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Sure, and we have to like, not hire the same coach again. That's a problem.

Every coach since Torts has been bad at getting them to do the same things, and every coach BUT Torts had enough talent to do basic things.

The organization doesn't seem to value it. They have their token OFD and everyone else is evaluated on hitting and blocking. They're not going to hire guys with a breakout scheme. They traded Zubov!
It all leads back to sather lol.

But yeah. You are 100% correct.

Reactions: CLW

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

What really gets me is that seemingly half the time we throw it up to the boards to no-one. There's not even a Ranger in the vicinity!

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
They also have a type they love to target. Big, athletic, rangy but maybe with limited puck skills. Kreider, Miller, Schneider, Skjei, even Fil. At least in the 1st round.

Seriously. No one on this team has hands. Maybe in the shootout and not under defensive pressure, you might see some flashes, but in actual gameplay, no one has hands while in close.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad