Post-Game Talk: Capital Punishment

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Our defense was never good. Nobody's is. This is a lacrosse league right now.

The kids are hot for 5 and cold for 10. Beyond that, we score as Zibanejad scores.

Nothing changed.

The difference between 22-3-4 and 0-3-1 is goaltending.

You could argue some things could be better, and I would agree, but those things never were better.
There was a stretch mid season where they didn't allow more than 3 goals in a game for over a month and that was with average goaltending. They can play defense when they choose to. Things got lax when all they did was win and they felt they didn't have to put the effort in on the defensive side. The last 5-6 games they have given up a ton of odd man rushes and every one has wound up in their net. I can't even blame goalie the last 2 games. They are still top 1/4 in GA this year and that is with average to slightly above average goaltending. This team can defend pretty well when they want to.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Does Gallant have a pulse at this point? How is this the effort for 2 straight games?
Gallant just looks at the players and asks what they want to do. He has no plan, no pulse and just relies on talent. I have never seen a coach get so little from so much talent.

Its infuriating. And yes we have a good record, but we really dont play well or structured at all. We should he better. Much better.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There was a stretch mid season where they didn't allow more than 3 goals in a game for over a month and that was with average goaltending. They can play defense when they choose to. Things got lax when all they did was win and they felt they didn't have to put the effort in on the defensive side. The last 5-6 games they have given up a ton of odd man rushes and every one has wound up in their net. I can't even blame goalie the last 2 games. They are still top 1/4 in GA this year and that is with average to slightly above average goaltending. This team can defend pretty well when they want to.
That wasn't with average goaltending. Halak was the hottest goalie in the league not in Boston for a long stretch and before this month, Igor was still 10th to 15th in most categories.

As we speak, the Rangers still have the 10th best team sv% in the league.

That's a stone cold, pretty low-context fact.

We're back in the 80's and I think people still don't fully grasp that.

The biggest problem is we should really score more for a team playing in the 80's.

Reactions: NikC

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Time to start scoreboard watching Buffalo and Detroit.

Just looks like we can't even luck into a lead right now. Haven't had one since last Wednesday.
What? They are locked into 3rd in the Metro. The teams they would have to worry about are the Piles, Craps, and Pitt and all 3 are way in the rear view mirror.

Reactions: Slaydagnar

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Pens 8 behind when they win their games in hand. 3 more h2h with in a week of each other in March. Too many games left.

Mets 2007. Mets 2022. Scarred for life

Reactions: Ruggs225

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Pens 8 behind when they win their games in hand. 3 more h2h with in a week of each other in March. Too many games left.

Mets 2007. Mets 2019. Scarred for life
I'm a Yankees fan so maybe that's why I'm not nervous but I'm definitely going to blame the offense.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
That wasn't with average goaltending. Halak was the hottest goalie in the league not in Boston for a long stretch and before this month, Igor was still 10th to 15th in most categories.

The biggest problem is we should really score more for a team playing in the 80's.
This team is built and acquiring top scoring talent. If they're going to win anything they're going to be out scoring the opposition. If that's their identity, fine.

They are discombobulated right now. I don't know the reason, but they've lost their equilibrium atm.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

We should score more but the defensive structure was way better mid season and it seems the last 5-6 games have had way more defensive breakdowns and odd man rushes than when they were winning consistently. They can play better defense than today's trainwreck.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We should score more but the defensive structure was way better mid season and it seems the last 5-6 games have had way more defensive breakdowns and odd man rushes than when they were winning consistently. They can play better defense that today's trainwreck.
I do think Miller has been worse, I'll grant you that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This team is built and acquiring top scoring talent. If they're going to win anything they're going to be out scoring the opposition. If that's their identity, fine.

They are discombobulated right now. I don't know the reason, but they've lost their equilibrium atm.
The Kid Line is really effective at times and way too hot and cold for how important they've become.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Brother Mouzone

May 23, 2014
1st great thread title reminded of the classic album from Big Pun

Capital_Punishment_1998.jpg

3 game losing streaks happen during a season , team always bounces back well after they have one of these slides .

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
Missed the game - didn’t miss much by the look of things.

Is it just me or have we shit the bed since the last few trades?

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Slept all day and missed the game, how did Lindgren get hurt? Time for Trouba to throw another helmet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad