Post-Game Talk: Capital Punishment

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Nothing is going to look better until this Kane shit is solved.

I guess we're ok with losing the next 3 too. Too many games left. Season in jeopardy

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Yeah, XG has been positive or even for the most part. We need some saves and some guys to finish. That will happen. Just keep playing Igor. There is plenty of games where he will work his way out of it. Health is the most important. We cant win without Lindgren in the playoffs.

Reactions: Ned Braden

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We also need a couple of defensive plays to stop high quality chances.It works both ways

We won games when Halak was unbeatable for 7, 8 straight starts.

You need NHL goaltending to win in the NHL. Ours has gone down the shitter for a stretch.

Halak cooled off and Igor went from bad for Igor to bad for Mike Dunham.

We just hope it bounces back at the right time.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
How are those new raspberry chocolate cookie thingy’s?
I don't know, I haven't had them. They're the damn talk of the Girl Scout circuit though and apparently the troop ordered two boxes. Also the whole operation of how cookies are ordered and delivered is absurdly complicated. I'm in over my head.

They did have an ice skating event on Monday though where I got to show off for all the moms who were totally impressed, except for my wife who actually pushed me at one point.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Our defense was never good. Nobody's is. This is a lacrosse league right now.

The kids are hot for 5 and cold for 10. Beyond that, we score as Zibanejad scores.

Nothing changed.

The difference between 22-3-4 and 0-3-1 is goaltending.

You could argue some things could be better, and I would agree, but those things never were better.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
We won games when Halak was unbeatable for 7, 8 straight starts.

You need NHL goaltending to win in the NHL. Ours has gone down the shitter for a stretch.

Halak cooled off and Igor went from bad for Igor to bad for Mike Dunham.

We just hope it bounces back at the right time.
I'm not saying our goalies have been good,but its no coincidence both started to struggle once our terrible defensive play and numerous breakdowns started.Both things can be true.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Igor has been horrible. Horrible. I don’t want excuses. Even in the winning streak he was bad, we had to our score his shit play vs Edmonton, Vancouver twice and Seattle. He gave up multiple stoppable goals in each of those games. We just had our offense going so we could outscore it.

Just watch him, he looks bad. He’s slow to react, his positioning is literally all over the place - it’s like he doesn’t know where he is in his crease ever. He’s not fighting through screens. He’s getting beat in clear sight shots.

Oh and literally any chance off the rush or a breakaway is an automatic goal against, best we can hope for is they miss the net. Halak at least has been stoping some breakaways and rush chances. His game vs Calgary he stopped a handful, which is more than Igor has stopped since the new year.

Igor’s inability this season to ever come up with a big save on a rush chance against or a breakaway is pretty inconvenient considering our first round opponent is the best team in the league at that.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Who's playing with Fox till mid March? Jones is prob gone. Robertsson? Nope. Can't do Harpur.

Last edited:

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Absolute dogshit effort.

-They played afraid of contact tonight. No one followed plays to the net. No one stayed with their man on the backcheck. No one cleared the front of the net with force. Multiple defenseman actually skated AWAY from the net when the goalie made a save even before the play was dead.
-Trocheck had an absolutely terrible game. -4 and horrid in circle today. Made one good rush with Vesey and that's it. Was directly responsible for missed checks/lazy backchecks on two of the Washington goals. Oshie was not Goodrow's man on his 2nd goal...if Trocheck comes back with any urgency, that's not a goal. Goodrow just happened to be in the area and saw Oshie open so he went there, but that was not his man as Trocheck was half a step behind Oshie at the redline and let him go.
-PP: still too stagnant.
-If I'm Gallant, I tell Harpur that every time the goalie makes a glove save on him from the point, he does 5 Herbies in practice the next day. STOP SHOOTING HIGH. Shoot low and hope for a rebound, your shot sucks dude.
-Lindgren injury - I'm guessing it's a dislocated shoulder, hopefully not separated. It didn't look good. Could have easily been a boarding penalty but I think calls for 5 and a game are a little overdone. Trouba went over Oshie a few times in the 2nd, that was fun to see...Knocked him on his ass at least 4 times yet somehow was only credited with 2 hits.
-Kuznetsov - definitely should've been a spearing penalty, very dangerous, and not a "hockey play." Disappointed at the lack of response to him for that especially when the game was out of hand. So what if he's a skill player.
-Fox looked like Shawn Chambers on Mario Lemeiux on the Wilson goal. Really, dude? What a weak, soft play.
-Igor was mediocre again. He's really been struggling with angles and depth, and going down early - especially when shots come high.
-Miller was low key awful again. His passing was off all night. Schneider was their best D today and it wasn't even close.
-When Mikkola decides to play physical he can be a monster. Huge hit right before his penalty, then got carried away and too aggressive with his stick in the defensive slot. Overall, really, really like his game though, he's just got to be smarter especially with the stick. If he uses his body, he's a beast. It'd be fun if Trouba could teach him the reads to lay people out open ice because I think he has the other skills (skating, size, strength, explosiveness) to do it.
-For all of the kid line cycling, at some point someone's got to put a bug in their ear to just come off the wall and try to drive the net. Unless they're auditioning for the penalty kill, there's not much there right now. When they were scoring, they'd look to exploit coverages and either center the puck or take it to the net themselves. As they've stopped scoring, they're back to playing perimeter hockey. Kakko's goal helped mask what was overall a very timid afternoon by him. Great pass by Kreider though, who was probably the team's best/most involved forward.
-Good riddance to Jake Leschyshyn. If he clears waivers, he'll go to the AHL where he'll fit nicely on the Pack's third or fourth line.
-Not thrilled with Lockwood and a 7th as return for Kravtsov. Guess we'll see, but seems like a smallish forward who tries to play physical...unsure how his offense will translate. Obviously, guessing the move was mostly to clear cap for Kane or another bigger move.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Beyond league trends, this organization never valued sound play except for a few of Torts' teams. They feel the goalie will bail them out.

That would be cool actually if they fostered highlight reel skill and rush scoring but they suck ass at that.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Time to start scoreboard watching Buffalo and Detroit.

Just looks like we can't even luck into a lead right now. Haven't had one since last Wednesday.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Today and that game encapsulated everything it means to be a Ranger fan. The full spectrum of emotion.

Started off hyped about trading for an aging star while watching the aging star they acquired 2 weeks ago play terrible hockey.

Bad injury at a bad time on a questionable hit. Other team continues to goon it up. Rangers can't match. Caps trolling and roughing up Rangers at every whistle, NYR players smile and look at their skates.

Player who takes out the NYR player has a multi goal night.

Team looks generally weak and uninspired. Terrible puck management. Terrible defensive coverage.

Miller has quietly been having a really rough stretch for a while now. Add him to the list of players who need to figure it out if the NYR are going to make any noise.

Then you got the broadcast being the trolling cherry on top. Dave Jackson the officiating shill, I mean, rules expert forgetting that boarding is still in the rulebook. Showing Oshie's hit 5x as a "highlight".
👍

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad