Capital One Arena announces $40 million upgrade to arena

Sep 19, 2008

Construction still not finished. Still empty TVs and concession stands.

Biggest note is the stadium seating numbers have a picture of notable Capital One events. There was one of the Wizards but the ones I took a picture of were the Caps ("Snowvechkin" and "Capitals winning championship")

Team Store has a more open feel but really doesn't sell anything unique and it's still overpriced.

If you look you can see the new sound systems above the big screen. They're damn loud :ha:

fCygxbN

Last edited:

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Yes. They went with gray, white, and black tones on the concourse. Seats are obviously black and the rest of the arena concrete fixtures have Capital One blue as the paint, though the painting is not finished as it only goes down to the tops of the chairs, so there is still more work to be done.

About the seats, they may be a bit tighter but it isn't very noticeable. I thought forward legroom was hurt more. I still don't have a cupholder, but hopefully that is remedied when they pull the chairs off the back row and finish painting.

The entire Caps shoot twice side 1st floor concourse is not done. Though there does appear to be a lounge of sorts going in right next to the stairs down to the Etihad lounge in the NE corner. Sound was very crisp.

I was a bit underwhelmed, though it might be different when everything is finished and all the TVs are on. There are lots of big ones of those that better be on the game and not used exclusively for advertising.

Reactions: Sam Spade
Sep 19, 2008
Someone said that the lower bowl cupholders are still being shipped and were delayed because of the Hurricane. So come opening night everyone should have a cupholder.

Sep 19, 2008
I received an email earlier today about Phase II of the renovation. They intend to get the current screen out and replace it with a better one (which is overdue, have you seen Tampa's big screen they have at Amelie arena?) as well as add more celebrity chef options. The celebrity chef options are kind of disinteresting right now because I could always eat outside before the game with a bigger portion size. They give you a small Korean BBQ hoagie for like 15 dollars. It's nuts.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Sep 19, 2008
Monumental Sports & Entertainment is announcing Phase II of our Capital One Arena updates, investing an additional $15+ million to our initial $40 million dollar investment. In Phase II, to be completed in the summer of 2019, we’re completely transforming the in-bowl experience, adding more celebrity chef inspired concessions, expanding our luxury seating, and further updating our concourses. This entirely privately financed renovation continues our commitment to create an unrivaled experience for you, our fans.
With one of North America’s largest continuous 360-degree centerhung scoreboard, we’re revolutionizing the fan experience, bringing you more live action, scores and stats. Together with our amazing new DualTV double-sided LED boards, and a first-of-its kind 360-degree HD SkyRing at the top of our Arena, you won’t miss a thing!
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Couldn't care less about arena food options. With all of the great food around that area you'd have to be a dunce to pay $20 for "gourmet" nachos and deal with gas for 2 periods of the game.

Reactions: Roman Fell

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Couldn't care less about arena food options. With all of the great food around that area you'd have to be a dunce to pay $20 for "gourmet" nachos and deal with gas for 2 periods of the game.

I'm with you but there are plenty of people who go to games straight from work and don't really have time to stop at a restaurant before the game.

Sep 19, 2008
So I went to the arena today for their movie night. TV scoreboard is the exact same. Can't say I'm surprised they didn't change it out yet. The Valor still use the stadium.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
Haven’t seen it in person yet, but based on photos I’m not particularly impressed with the new videoboard. The screen area for live feed and replays doesn’t seem much bigger than the old board. I am eager to see how the new “SkyRing” looks, I saw somewhere it wont be operational until the regular season.

Reactions: Calicaps
Sep 19, 2008
Haven’t seen it in person yet, but based on photos I’m not particularly impressed with the new videoboard. The screen area for live feed and replays doesn’t seem much bigger than the old board. I am eager to see how the new “SkyRing” looks, I saw somewhere it wont be operational until the regular season.
I posted pics in the game thread, basically if you're in the 400's depending on how close you are to the ice you may be obstructed by the ribbons

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00