Capital One Arena announces $40 million upgrade to arena

VaCaps Fan

Feb 18, 2018
Great news, cup holders in the upper deck didn't fit the mondo beers sold by venders anymore! (plus had the old eagle logo if you looked closely)

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm torn between surprise and acceptance. I guess they'll never get a better spot then what they have now, but I really figured they'd be starting to lay the groundwork for a new place.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm torn between surprise and acceptance. I guess they'll never get a better spot then what they have now, but I really figured they'd be starting to lay the groundwork for a new place.

That place opened in 1997 why would they need a new place?

Seriously how much money do citizens have to spend on sports teams? I still can't believe the whole Atlanta Turner Field fiasco. Those poor suckers who had to pony up their tax dollars for the Braves new stadium even though Turner field was only 19 years old when they left.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Performing at Capital One in the near future...

20fopyd.jpg

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Back in February, Monumental Sports & Entertainment announced that Capital One Arena would be undergoing a series of major renovations as part of the new naming rights with Capital One. Included in the renovations are new seats, a facelift to the 100 and 400 levels, and upgraded concessions.
With the Capitals and Wizards now in the off-season, the renovations have now begun. On Wednesday, Monumental revealed even more details on what fans can expect to see when they come to a game at Capital One Arena next season.
Fans can expect to see a new DJ stage on display for both Caps and Wizards games. Pre-game openings will also look different. The arena will be installing a permanent 3D on-ice projection system. The team experimented a lot with on-ice projection during the Caps’ 2018 playoff run, particularly during the Stanley Cup Finals.

Even the ice resurfacers will look different. An Olympia ice resurfacer bus will now be able to take groups of people on the ice before games and during intermissions.
A new in-game spirit squad will also be seen during Caps games. The squad, which will be co-ed, will help energize the crowd. No word on whether this new group will be replacing the Red Rockers.

So basically, new seats, a dj, better ice graphics, co ed cheer team and a on ice bus during intermissions

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Where is the old school organ? Now that would have been worth it. Still though, I'm glad they are putting effort into the game experience. I know I'm not enthused about the DJ either, but at least we have an owner who care and we don't have a used Toyota dealership in a corner, have to drive to the middle of nowhere, or do stupid things like fire a cannon or play glowing drums.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Where is the old school organ? Now that would have been worth it. Still though, I'm glad they are putting effort into the game experience. I know I'm not enthused about the DJ either, but at least we have an owner who care and we don't have a used Toyota dealership in a corner, have to drive to the middle of nowhere, or do stupid things like fire a cannon or play glowing drums.
Agreed! Last I checked, there was an organ. Not sure if that is still or will continue to be true. Hope so. Love the organ.

Reactions: TheFountainhead

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
New sound system that will allow you to hear terrible in-game music with crystal clarity!

Hah!

Blows my mind how a city like DC with legendary homegrown music can have such crappy music in the sports stadiums.

As bad as Caps games are in this regard, Redskins games are friggin pathetic (although a while back they used to play Fugazi sometimes, which was cool).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->