Salary Cap: Capgeek - 2013-14 Projections - We're #1 !!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I asked YOU. Explain it to me. Try to use an adult argument while doing so.

I'm starting to think you might actually be serious? Ok, I'll humour you.

Off the top of my head ... Torontos goal differential is very bad. Boston's goal differential is almost a goal per game better. That's a ton!

Their record is better than ours even though they have every reason not to spend too much energy during the season as they take it for granted they will be in the playoffs, their goal is to win the cup.

They have a better defence, better offence and a better goalie.

They have a history of playoff success and bring all that confidence and experience to the table. They are proven winners - don't know when they last missed the playoffs and they are in the habit of making noise when they get there. Toronto on the other hand, hasn't won so much as one playoff series in a very long time.

Last year they made it to the finals and almost won the cup after beating us in the first round.

Toronto on the other hand ... well, we're good at shootouts this year. And our goal-tending has so far been able to win us many games in which we were dominated by our opponents.

Yeah, I guess you're right, it's a tossup. :laugh:

It has a point value of zero. I am searching the standings for the 'potential points' column.

You don't think having 2 games in hand has any value whatsoever? So if Toronto has played out the season, and MTL has 2 games to play and are 1 point behind us for the last playoff spot, you search the standings for the 'potential points' column, don't find it and declare Toronto to be in and MTL out because 'potential points' have no value?

Awesome!

I on the other hand, wait until MTL plays those 2 games before claiming that our record is better than theirs knowing full well that they have a non-zero chance of picking up points in those 2 games.

It's pretty logical really.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I'm starting to think you might actually be serious? Ok, I'll humour you.

Off the top of my head ... Torontos goal differential is very bad. Boston's goal differential is almost a goal per game better. That's a ton!

Their record is better than ours even though they have every reason not to spend too much energy during the season as they take it for granted they will be in the playoffs, their goal is to win the cup.

They have a better defence, better offence and a better goalie.

They have a history of playoff success and bring all that confidence and experience to the table. They are proven winners - don't know when they last missed the playoffs and they are in the habit of making noise when they get there. Toronto on the other hand, hasn't won so much as one playoff series in a very long time.

Last year they made it to the finals and almost won the cup after beating us in the first round.

Toronto on the other hand ... well, we're good at shootouts this year. And our goal-tending has so far been able to win us many games in which we were dominated by our opponents.

Yeah, I guess you're right, it's a tossup. :laugh:
Yet against us this far superior team is 2-1, and all three games were winnable for the Leafs. And yes, they beat us in overtime of game seven last year, which to me is the very definition of a toss up. Regardless of what they do against everyone else, quite recently they've looked very beatable against our team.

As far as the 'taking it easy during the season because its a given' part, that may be the single dumbest thing I've ever read on here, and that's saying a lot.

You don't think having 2 games in hand has any value whatsoever? So if Toronto has played out the season, and MTL has 2 games to play and are 1 point behind us for the last playoff spot, you search the standings for the 'potential points' column, don't find it and declare Toronto to be in and MTL out because 'potential points' have no value?

Awesome!

I on the other hand, wait until MTL plays those 2 games before claiming that our record is better than theirs knowing full well that they have a non-zero chance of picking up points in those 2 games.

It's pretty logical really.

Excellent, IF Montreal wins those games and moves ahead of us, we'll talk. Until then, Montreal is a point behind us (because they've earned less points than us to this point in the season) for 3rd in our division (read NOT last playoff spot) based on actual points and not what ifs.

Does it seem to anyone else that 'realism' and 'logic', or at least how they're thrown around here are almost always based on worst case scenario what if situations?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yet against us this far superior team is 2-1, and all three games were winnable for the Leafs. And yes, they beat us in overtime of game seven last year, which to me is the very definition of a toss up. Regardless of what they do against everyone else, quite recently they've looked very beatable against our team.

As far as the 'taking it easy during the season because its a given' part, that may be the single dumbest thing I've ever read on here, and that's saying a lot.

Excellent, IF Montreal wins those games and moves ahead of us, we'll talk. Until then, Montreal is a point behind us (because they've earned less points than us to this point in the season) for 3rd in our division (read NOT last playoff spot) based on actual points and not what ifs.

Does it seem to anyone else that 'realism' and 'logic', or at least how they're thrown around here are almost always based on worst case scenario what if situations?

Cool story bro. I already suggested you post your theory on the main board so that I can see laughed out of this forum. OK, you know that's exactly what would happen so you won't do it. Let's leave it at that then.

But if you're really serious, and if Toronto and Boston do meet in the playoffs, feel free to shoot be a PM. If you really think the series will be a toss-up, I'm sure we can work out a wager that we both think will be hugely in our favor.

I look forward to reading your PM while I watch pigs fly. :laugh:

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Cool story bro. I already suggested you post your theory on the main board so that I can see laughed out of this forum. OK, you know that's exactly what would happen so you won't do it. Let's leave it at that then.

But if you're really serious, and if Toronto and Boston do meet in the playoffs, feel free to shoot be a PM. If you really think the series will be a toss-up, I'm sure we can work out a wager that we both think will be hugely in our favor.

I look forward to reading your PM while I watch pigs fly. :laugh:
Tell me more about the unquestionable wisdom of the main boards ;)

Have they elevated Kessel above second line status yet? Are we still guaranteed to finish dead last?

That is your rebuttal? Ok, I'll accept your 'because I say so' theory for now.
We'll ignore the games they've played against each other, ignore recent history and just go with nonsense as a reason.

See you in the second round of the playoffs (since We won't be playing them in the first)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Tell me more about the unquestionable wisdom of the main boards ;)

Have they elevated Kessel above second line status yet? Are we still guaranteed to finish dead last?

That is your rebuttal? Ok, I'll accept your 'because I say so' theory for now.
We'll ignore the games they've played against each other, ignore recent history and just go with nonsense as a reason.

See you in the second round of the playoffs (since We won't be playing them in the first)

And why is that?

Delicious Dangles*

Um ... what does this mean. You have said that we match up well against Boston, Pittsburgh, Montreal and Tampa Bay. When you for some reason only pick 4 teams in the east to assess how we match up, they happen to be the 4 best teams that we could possibly play in the 1st round and you think we match up against every single one of them ... do you see how this could be interpreted as a non-objective point of view? :)
No, because there are plenty of teams that we don't match up well against as well. This is also simply to get through the East; there are definitely some western teams that we would match up horribly against. It just so happens that 4 of the better teams in the East are ones that we match up well against, likely due to our tendency to play up or down to an opponent.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No, because there are plenty of teams that we don't match up well against as well. This is also simply to get through the East; there are definitely some western teams that we would match up horribly against. It just so happens that 4 of the better teams in the East are ones that we match up well against, likely due to our tendency to play up or down to an opponent.

Is there even one team in the East you don't think we match up well against?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What does Boston have on us this season they didn't have on us last season? We were what 90 seconds away from eliminating them?

If we have Gleason, Bolland, Gleason and Bernier instead of Grabo, MacArthur, Fraser/Kostka and Reimer (although he played great) chances are Game goes differently

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
What does Boston have on us this season they didn't have on us last season? We were what 90 seconds away from eliminating them?

If we have Gleason, Bolland, Gleason and Bernier instead of Grabo, MacArthur, Fraser/Kostka and Reimer (although he played great) chances are Game goes differently

Because Boston is so incredible they don't even need to try, that's the only reason they're not leading the NHL right now you know...

TheThrill81*

Exclude the Reimer/Bernier exchange, and I'm inclined to agree with you. It would've helped to have Bozak in that game as well.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Holy christ is that ever depressing.

Possibly,but its not new. You could see this phenomena happening back in the off season. Undoubtedly Nonis will have to shed some more players before long to keep us within the cap limit.

It wouldn't be surprising to see us in the same position next year as well despite the cap going up.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Some interesting UFA vets who can be #4/5 around 18-20 minute a night options are available.

Rielly should be handling anywhere from another 2-5 minutes a game next year and Gardiner will likely also be handling another minute or two extra per game next year.

I see us just needing a short term 1 or 2 year max UFA to come and take some of the minutes Franson has been playing and buy a bit more development time for Granberg, Percy, Finn, etc.

Salo, Robidas, Stralman, Fayne, Gilbert, Fayne, Niskanen, Zidlicky, Morris are all righties handling 18+ minutes this season for their teams this year.

Vets like Mitchell, Quincey, Hainsey, Orpik are also out there.

Good point, but most of the NHL teams are in need of the same kind of player (defenders). Its not impossible to get such players, but not easy either.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well, if those games in hand make somebody pass us, then feel free to call us 5th, but until then, we are 4th, quickly catching up on 3rd. 4th last year, 4th this year. Gosh, it's almost like we're 4th.

Shootout wins can be misleading? How about last year when we went 0-5? Were we, in reality, one of the best teams in the league last year? (If only ROW count, we were tied for 3rd best in the league!) Of course, teams that have 3 consistent shootout scorers and an elite goaltender simply can't be good at a part of the game that utilizes 2 consistent shootout scorers and an elite goaltender.

Also, we surely would have lost all those 13 games, if the shootout didn't exist, amiright?

Yes, we have some concerning issues, just like all teams. We also have many things that are promising.

I never even hinted that we would have lost all 13, so relax.

But considering our record in the context of regulation time and seeing that in the POs ALL wins are secured under the same rules as regulation time, save for OT (next goal wins), well.

Delicious Dangles*

They are also without Seguin this year, who despite sucking hardcore in the playoffs, was a Leaf-killer the rest of the time.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Gleason seems to have made quite an impression on you. ;)

Delicious Dangles*

I never even hinted that we would have lost all 13, so relax.

But considering our record in the context of regulation time and seeing that in the POs ALL wins are secured under the same rules as regulation time, save for OT (next goal wins), well.
Except the playoffs are an entirely different animal, with different systems, matchups and effort levels. AND the way tied games are decided is ALSO completely different.

Being good at shootouts does not mean we would be bad at continuous overtime, but somehow people seem to make that connection.

Actually, if I remember correctly, our 2nd period is BY FAR our best period, indicating that we do better with switched sides and would probably have an advantage in 1st OT.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yes, plenty, as I JUST mentioned.

There are more than 4 teams in the East.

Well let's hear it then. You have only mentioned BOS, PIT, TB and MTL. According to you, we match up well against all of them.

Who are these mystery teams that match up well against us?

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Well let's hear it then. You have only mentioned BOS, PIT, TB and MTL. According to you, we match up well against all of them.

Buffalo. Luckily in the post season they are irrelevant lol.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Except the playoffs are an entirely different animal, with different systems, matchups and effort levels. AND the way tied games are decided is ALSO completely different.

Being good at shootouts does not mean we would be bad at continuous overtime, but somehow people seem to make that connection.

Actually, if I remember correctly, our 2nd period is BY FAR our best period, indicating that we do better with switched sides and would probably have an advantage in 1st OT.

I make the PO/OT connection to our record at regulation time,

Delicious Dangles*

That's because BOS, PIT, TBL, and MTL are the most relevant. Why would I talk about Buffalo in regards to playoff matchups?

I would be less confident (comparatively, assuming they had the points needed to actually face us) against Buffalo, NYR, Carolina, and Columbus to name a few.

I make the PO/OT connection to our record at regulation time,
Which is a terrible connection to make. It is an entirely different animal. ENTIRELY different. You're comparing regulation time against a collection of different teams, to overtime, in the playoffs, against a single unknown opponent and expecting to get an accurate representation.

:shakehead

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
If you take away the buyouts of Tucker and Armstrong, as well as the retained salary of Frattin and Scrivens, it frees up 2.5 million by itself. That alone puts up in the middle of the pack in terms of salary cap space for this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad